Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am considering an engine conversion for my tb42 patrol. I've sussed out whats involved in the holden V8 conversions but what about and RB30 conversion? is there much to it?

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
149 Posts
if you can afford the V8 conversion go for it, i would if i could, its cheaper for me to go turbo on the EFI RB30, thats probably what i'll do later

·
Registered
nissan
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I could afford if i went for a 5.0L but not 5.7. is the rb30 conversion expensive to do? i appeals to me because i really like those motors.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
i dont see the point in putting a smaller motor into a big car. yes they came out with the rb30 but most wish they had 4.2s.
rb30 will not give anywhere near the low down torque of a 5l even turbo'd you would be struggling there,
also you can make a 5l go pretty well pretty cheaply. and the conversion has been done to death so getting parts is pretty easy.
probably as with the chev but rb30 needs engine mount mods to make fit.
imo go the 5l

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Do a search,theres plenty written comparing the TB42 to the RB30
Do a search also on the 5L conversion,if your handy with the spanners doin it yourself will save heaps,theres even a few on here that are doin the 5L conversion for only a few K all up
4.2 or larger
Dont go backwards in cubic size

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
The Holden conversion is probably the easiest to do with a Patrol, as just about all the engine components fall on the same side as the Patrol engine (even the air cleaner is the same). Plus, all the parts necessary for the conversion are readily available eg gear box adapters etc.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Even easier is a TD42 conversion. buy mine please :)

but in all seriousness, if your TB42 is in fair condition a small turbo for approx 6-7 psi with fuel injection would do wonders.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
18 Posts
that sounds like a pretty good idea felixtrol....
i would very much like to see that done. should be easyish.....

but yea no deal on the rb30 in a 4by hey..... ok in a vl commo but in a 4by you want bigger cubes

·
Registered
nissan gq
4 Posts
Hey mate.

ive had a few rb30 skylines and there a pretty good thing but even in a 1400 odd kg body there not exactly a torque monster. ive had gqs with a 4.2 efi, a 5l vn motor, a mild 383 stroker and a pretty full house 383 and the difference between them all was amazing.

to be honest i dont think even the 5l has enough torque for the size of a patrol- especially if your gonna go bigger tires and a few accessories- mine had 35s and bars and came in at 2400kg.

When i went to the stroker, i actually found it didnt effect economy too much because it had such an easier time of getting around and all the engines got around the 20 to 23l/100 mark around town. i also ran gas injection to make them affordable and it made the same power as petrol and very similar economy to that'd be a good way to go too.

And on the power front the tb42e made low 70's kw atw and cant rem. the torque,
the 5l 109kw at like 4500 and under 400nm,
the first 383 171kw at 3800( stock manifold) and around 600nm
and the full house 383 made 235kw at 4900( come racing manifold) and 680nm at 2800 and over 600nm from 2000 till 4100 with a baby cam- great off road.

So for me from what ive felt and seen the more cubes the better! :)

Regards,

Craig

·
Banned
nissan
117 Posts
I have just done a 5 litre conversion and to be honest if someone wanted to upgrade their RB30 or TD42 model I would deffinately consider a trade hey. Not that the 5.0 is lacking in anyway, it sounds great and goes pretty good for a stocker, but I have a better record for building tuff RB's over the years and this is my first V8 (customising & the costs involved to supercharge/turbocharge or stroke it out is killing me). I would rather an RB30 with a RB25 head, decent turbo etc. Parts are cheap & easily sourced without having to fabricate it all yourself...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts