Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Have not dropped the engine oil in my sd33t since i purchased it so i think i better get it done very shortly. I believe the capacity for sd33 including oil filter is 9L - would the sd33t be the same? Does anyone have any recommendations for engine oil brand and viscosity, bearing in mind that my engine is probably no spring chicken! Cheers.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
hey man,i threw some 20-60 in my old sd33 n/a and she seemed to like it,got better oil pressue.

drop old oil.buy some really cheap thin oil, and put that in without changing the filter. take her for a bit of a thrash until nice and hot, replace filter,drop oil and put in new thicker oil,should be all good

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Hi everyone,

Have not dropped the engine oil in my sd33t since i purchased it so i think i better get it done very shortly. I believe the capacity for sd33 including oil filter is 9L - would the sd33t be the same? Does anyone have any recommendations for engine oil brand and viscosity, bearing in mind that my engine is probably no spring chicken! Cheers.
Refill capacity with filter is 8.5 litres.

Castrol RX Super is what I use as do many other sd33 and sd33t owners. My old girl has 320,000 km on the clock and only uses about half a litre between changes.
RX Super is what was recommended in the gregory's manuals and also by Nissan service mechanic and it is quality oil and reasonably priced.
I wait till its on a good special at Supercheap and buy it. Last time I only paid $79.00 for each 20 litre drum.Bought 3 of em :cool:

Get into a habit of doing Oil & Filter change every 5000 km

I usually put 8 litres in and then run the engine for ten minutes then let it settle and top it up to the mark

Cheers Ric

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i use hpr personally, just make sure you get a diesel specific oil.

Ric, might want to find out if there is a shelf life for oil, i think the additives etc might break down.

and oil changes are very important in the old diesels. my mate stuffed his big-end not servicing it regularily enough, about 9000km it broke. not surprising with the blow-by etc this engine had, but still a good example.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
For first change if it hasn't been looked after try some engine flush additive first (they usually run with this for about 30 minutes then drop oil.)
I got some stuff from a mob in Qld cost quite a few bucks but I got nearly 12lt out of an engine that holds 8.5. It was like jello from all the gunge it got out.
Since then semi synthetic wide range I think 20-60.

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Ric, might want to find out if there is a shelf life for oil, i think the additives etc might break down.
Hi neRock
Have used Penrite oils too but the cost over Castrol I don't see the justification. Have never been let down with Castrol and my Dad ran Taxis for years using GTX and GTX 2.
Our 3.3 ltr XY was still going strong with 750,000 MILES on the clock and our last cab was an 4.1 ltr XC was close to 600,000klm when sold.

From what I've been told over the years Engine Oils when stored correctly will last almost indefinitely. Especially the more basic formulations.

3 x 20ltr drums is only going to last me a couple of years anyways

Ric

·
Registered
nissan
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have bought some nulon engine oil flush but I'm a bit hesitant to use it because I don't really know how worn the engine is and dont want to lose any carbon deposits holding it together! I have noticed that from a cold start the oil pressure gauge will come upto half(3) after about thirty seconds but after fifteen mins of driving and back home it is sitting at a quarter - does this sound normal/healthy? Cheers for any advice and p.s. I have decided to go with the rx super can get 20l from super**** for $99.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I have noticed that from a cold start the oil pressure gauge will come upto half(3) after about thirty seconds but after fifteen mins of driving and back home it is sitting at a quarter - does this sound normal/healthy?
could be many things causing that. worn bearings can (heat causes tolerances to expand and loose pressure), ditto for the oil pump, it might even be the oil itself. heaps of other things can cause that too.

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
I have bought some nulon engine oil flush but I'm a bit hesitant to use it because I don't really know how worn the engine is and dont want to lose any carbon deposits holding it together! I have noticed that from a cold start the oil pressure gauge will come upto half(3) after about thirty seconds but after fifteen mins of driving and back home it is sitting at a quarter - does this sound normal/healthy? Cheers for any advice and p.s. I have decided to go with the rx super can get 20l from super**** for $99.
Oil Gauge on mine comes up to the middle (3) in around 20 - 30 second too and always sits around the 3 mark.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
If it needs heaps of carbon and crap in the oil to keep the pressure up it needs some work anyway.
Mine is like yours drops down when it warms up, this could be a result of 350,000 +ks or the spring on the relief valve on the oil pump. The main benefit of the flush it now runs cooler as all the crap has come out.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Use the oil L amount only as a guide
Use the dipstick for your oil level,thats what its there for

Change the filter,fill to 3/4 on dipstick
Start,run for a bit turn off
Let oil settle (wait 1/2 hour maybe)
Then fill till reads full on dipstick

Ive read to many horror stories , where the oil L amount in a book is used as gospel
Apprentices ,and uneducated are good at this
They whack what it reads in a book and shell be apps

As the saying goes
"Check the dipstick,dipstick"

5,000K oil changes on the old beasts , although a tad exxy is highly recommended

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
Use the oil L amount only as a guide
Use the dipstick for your oil level,thats what its there for

Change the filter,fill to 3/4 on dipstick
Start,run for a bit turn off
Let oil settle (wait 1/2 hour maybe)
Then fill till reads full on dipstick

Ive read to many horror stories , where the oil L amount in a book is used as gospel
Apprentices ,and uneducated are good at this
They whack what it reads in a book and shell be apps

As the saying goes
"Check the dipstick,dipstick"

5,000K oil changes on the old beasts , although a tad exxy is highly recommended
Top advice there MQ MAD
Always seem to be errors in the manuals. MY son and I found 3 different oil capacities listed for his Maverick (two different in the same book :-? )

I have seen 3 different capacities listed for my sd33t too

Ric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts