Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
1991 Nissan Safari TD42+t
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nissan Safari 1991 TD42+t

So a while ago I notice a very small amount of oil in my coolant. I flushed it and carried on. Done this a few times over a few months... now it鈥檚 got real bad, to the point that if I clean the black sludge from the radiator fill neck till it鈥檚 clean coolant there, I can watch the black blobs rise to the top.

I鈥檝e removed the oil cooler and replaced the gaskets and O rings. This made no difference. I did NOT pressure test the cooler, as I鈥檝e never seen or heard of them fracturing before.

Question: is there any pressurised oil, behind the front timing cover? (Behind the water pump). Or are the gears just drip fed oil? As this will be my next move to replace any and all gaskets and seals behind it.

I鈥檝e seen it mentioned a few time and I鈥檓 preying it鈥檚 not this, but apparently if one of the liners drop then it can cause this issue, through the head gasket...

The turbo is not water cooled either.

thanks 馃憤馃徏

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
Might help to tell what engine you have.

Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
Timing case has no oil pressure. Generally when they leak you see coolant on the outside, near the steel sandwich plate is a common spot. Removing the timing case is big job. I would not be doing it on speculation, only to find you need to do a head gasket later on.

Registered
1991 Nissan Safari TD42+t
Discussion Starter #5
Timing case has no oil pressure. Generally when they leak you see coolant on the outside, near the steel sandwich plate is a common spot. Removing the timing case is big job. I would not be doing it on speculation, only to find you need to do a head gasket later on.
Thanks, well I鈥檇 say mine leaks a bit. The case is all black above the fuel pump. Nothing serious but it wouldn鈥檛 be there if nothing was weeping... tbh I鈥檝e never seen another td42 that hasn鈥檛 looked the same 馃槀. It can stay like that if there鈥檚 no oil pressure behind it. I鈥檝e got a spare oil cooler so I鈥檒l chuck that in and prey the old one is fractured... 馃憤馃徏

1 - 5 of 5 Posts