Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have been noticing a strange relay noise that is coming on at low revs in my RB30 patrol??? Its definatly a relay and its not cauing any problems (that i know of) just more curious to what it is. I can hear it when changing gears or at idel when i get it a squirt, i have done a holley craby conversion (with electric choke) and have realy only noticed it since then? Anyway no biggy just wondering what it is?

Cheers

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think you will find it is not a relay but what is called pinging. Unless you have had a proper tune up after your carby was changed that is.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
I think you will find it is not a relay but what is called pinging. Unless you have had a proper tune up after your carby was changed that is.

its a big difference between the 2 noises ,

but if it is pinging then the timing is a tad too far advanced

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
you must have some funny sounding relays , all the engine pinging noises that i have heard sound nothing like a relay clicking in and out

and i know it doesnt sound like a ping , it is just a term used

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its definatly a relay as i can hear it coming from the relay box near the battery (not pinging). I have had the carby tuned and dynoed running all the correct jets, power valve ect. I did a test this morning as it felt like it might of been when i was engaging the clutch but its definatly not. I did notice that it only does it at about 1500rpm (or there abouts). Im thinking it could be some kind of sensor that the holley chokes come with or something??? its about the only thing i can think of that would be kicking in electrically around that rev range?

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its definatly a relay as i can hear it coming from the relay box near the battery (not pinging). I have had the carby tuned and dynoed running all the correct jets, power valve ect. I did a test this morning as it felt like it might of been when i was engaging the clutch but its definatly not. I did notice that it only does it at about 1500rpm (or there abouts). Im thinking it could be some kind of sensor that the holley chokes come with or something??? its about the only thing i can think of that would be kicking in electrically around that rev range?
Also it does it every time passing 1500 rpm but only on reving down (not up)

·
Registered
nissan
89 Posts
not an externally regulated alternator by chance? Might be throwing out as revs rise?

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not an externally regulated alternator by chance? Might be throwing out as revs rise?
Would the noise be coming from the relay box? It's definatly coming from there. Also how would i tell if its an externally regulated alternator? I'm pretty sure its just a standard one

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally found out that the noise i was hearing was the fuel return solenoid kicking in.. there was a connector the opposite side of my battery for it which i could disconnect as im running a holley... just thought i would update this incase anyone else has a similar issue

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts