Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

2441 - 2450 of 2450 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6,602 Posts
How much power can a standard tf42ti pump make?
I've read a number of times that a typical stock TD42 11mm pump maxes out at about 120 to 125 rwkw although I've heard individual claims of 150.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,472 Posts
I've read a number of times that a typical stock TD42 11mm pump maxes out at about 120 to 125 rwkw although I've heard individual claims of 150.
I've heard this as well.
Also that the td42ti pumps are 'lazy'.
My pump is anything but new. She's just clicked over the 300k.
Injectors are nearly 200k old.

With the old setup, an unstable cooling system and a 'name' brand turbo it made 124rwkw.

Since then, we have stabilized the cooling system and upgraded the turbo. Currently at 149rwkw.

This is just straight diesel.
No water/meth.
No fuel additives.
No lift pump.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,940 Posts
A good 11mm pump, it is possible to get 150rwkw on 33's rare but possible. the math suggest its possible. A few things work against you though like pump timing above 2500rpm then on a STD 11mm the governor is going to pull fuel out which usually restrict top end power. Then you need a good enough turbo that is going to supply density in the higher rpm to try and overcome all these issues and make power with late timing.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,472 Posts
A good 11mm pump, it is possible to get 150rwkw on 33's rare but possible. the math suggest its possible. A few things work against you though like pump timing above 2500rpm then on a STD 11mm the governor is going to pull fuel out which usually restrict top end power. Then you need a good enough turbo that is going to supply density in the higher rpm to try and overcome all these issues and make power with late timing.
Well, my car runs 285's bfg muddies and is at 149rwkw. The turbo is not right and is coming off again, but we still have smoke.
This would indicate to me that we've heated fuel without the presence of oxygen. As Gale Banks puts it 'making briquettes '.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,565 Posts
Well, my car runs 285's bfg muddies and is at 149rwkw. The turbo is not right and is coming off again, but we still have smoke.
This would indicate to me that we've heated fuel without the presence of oxygen. As Gale Banks puts it 'making briquettes '.
From what you say about the condition of some of your components, perhaps your 149rwkw would be different on another dyno. They do tend to vary a lot.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,940 Posts
Just remember you have a indirect injected engine they smoke regardless, but you can make the precomb a bit larger to accommodate the extra fuel you are now injection to get 150rwkw on 285 BFG's. As a general rule or observation to get any sort of real respectable power from a IDI engine you do need 19 AFR or less being IDI they smoke with this ratio compared to a DI engine.
But there are point of timing and injection volume that we get a better full burn than a DI engine but for max power this condition doesn't happen with power developing injection volumes with low AFR values. Maybe with a lot more air density you might get a better burn but remember the main ignition is in the precomb and not in the main chamber.hence we get those Briquettes forming in the main chamber.

My opinion and observation only of course..

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,472 Posts
From what you say about the condition of some of your components, perhaps your 149rwkw would be different on another dyno. They do tend to vary a lot.
This is true.
But I believe this particular dyno to be fairly accurate.
A racecar he preps had a problem with it's aftermarket computer.
He sent detailed data back to the supplier but deleted actual hp figures as supplier also competed in and supplied customers in the same class. Then for him to recieve the phone call to be quoted the exact hp from the supplier that they were able to derive through the program in the computer. For him it was confirmation that his dyno was at least accurate.

Secondly I'll have no problem once we are finished to run it up on a 2nd dyno.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,472 Posts
Just remember you have a indirect injected engine they smoke regardless, but you can make the precomb a bit larger to accommodate the extra fuel you are now injection to get 150rwkw on 285 BFG's. As a general rule or observation to get any sort of real respectable power from a IDI engine you do need 19 AFR or less being IDI they smoke with this ratio compared to a DI engine.
But there are point of timing and injection volume that we get a better full burn than a DI engine but for max power this condition doesn't happen with power developing injection volumes with low AFR values. Maybe with a lot more air density you might get a better burn but remember the main ignition is in the precomb and not in the main chamber.hence we get those Briquettes forming in the main chamber.

My opinion and observation only of course..
Making pre comps larger??
The engine to my knowledge has never been opened let alone modified.
Extra fuel??
If anything we have taken fuel out of the original tune with the 'name' brand turbo.
What we are trying to do is make the engine more efficient and actually run on all 6 cylinders equally.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,472 Posts
Do I understand what I'm saying??

Absolutely.
At this point we haven't passed the magical 150rwkw mark. We may never??

But if we do, this will put into doubt that the only way to make power is to pour in big quantities of fuel with modified fuel injector pumps that some business base the lively hoods on.

·
Registered
nissan
2,865 Posts
Post the dyno runs with applicable correction factors for all to see.
I see many figures posted day in day out, with correction, without correction, varying correction be them the latest or old school, they all have influence on the final fugue quoted, as does the way the the figure is achieved (way dyno is run).
FWIW Gale banks does not like using corrected figures, or uses old STD correction, which is not what is generally used in Australia. If I use STD or what we here see here as J607 (default on Mainline dyno's), my Hilux will make over 265rwkw and 920+nm, normal J1349 will see it at a corrected 252rwkw and 890nm. It is a massive difference.

Post up the graphs so we can all have a look dude????

2441 - 2450 of 2450 Posts