Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 2800 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
So, you have no bypass or do you have the 'Derk' bypass?

Which thermostat are you running?
I have no bypass in the thermostat housing, and do not run a "Derk" bypass.
I have a run of the mill Tridon highflow 52mm 180degF non bypass thermostat, because bypass has a welsh plug in the housing.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,711 Posts
I have a run of the mill Tridon highflow 52mm 180degF non bypass thermostat, because bypass has a welsh plug in the housing.
Interesting.....just like cooling systems in the olden days.....

·
Registered
nissan
4,985 Posts
GU has another bypass via the heater.. and a smaller one via turbo cooling, if fitted.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,715 Posts

So....

If the thermostat is closed, and the internal bypass is blocked what is feeding the water pump?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,010 Posts
Could you just run some bleed holes in the tstat?
I have no idea about any of this but find the discussion very interesting.
The EWP has variable duty cycle. So no need for a thermostat.

Bambill could not get the EWP to work well enough for his engine.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
The EWP has variable duty cycle. So no need for a thermostat.

Bambill could not get the EWP to work well enough for his engine.
Correct, once vehicle speed was above 80km/hr consistently, if could not do its job.
Below that it was no issue.

·
Registered
nissan
794 Posts
What highways are you driving on that require 85-90rwkw to maintain speed?

Some cars only make that as their maximum even patrols but they don't require you to have your foot flat to boards just to do highway speeds. Sure when towing a large load there might be times when all the power/torque is needed like up an incline or entering a highway.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
What highways are you driving on that require 85-90rwkw to maintain speed?

Some cars only make that as their maximum even patrols but they don't require you to have your foot flat to boards just to do highway speeds. Sure when towing a large load there might be times when all the power/torque is needed like up an incline or entering a highway.
A very steep one I suggest.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq ti tb42
32 Posts
If you can't sustain 90 rwkw continuous,

Kinda makes 300rwkw pointless.
Of course being able to sustain that would be desirable. However not being able to do so makes a high power td pointless i don't agree. 90rwkw sustained is asking a bloody lot from these old dinosaurs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,715 Posts
Of course being able to sustain that would be desirable. However not being able to do so makes a high power td pointless i don't agree. 90rwkw sustained is asking a bloody lot from these old dinosaurs.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Remember.....

Just because you can't achieve it, doesn't make it impossible.

So if 90 rwkw is too much of a stretch,

Where are you at ??

45rwkw ??

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,872 Posts
I'd be interested to know how many kw needed to keep a Patrol on 33s with a 3t full height caravan at the speed limit. I know a lot of owners with large vans are on the edge of their cooling system's capacity and any slight incline puts them over the edge.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,715 Posts
I'd be interested to know how many kw needed to keep a Patrol on 33s with a 3t full height caravan at the speed limit. I know a lot of owners with large vans are on the edge of their cooling system's capacity and any slight incline puts them over the edge.

The normal scenario is a patrol @ 2.8t, caravan @ 2t (conservative weight) but can be agreed weight between 4.5t - 6t.

Add a 30°c day, air con ON,
100kph-110kph,

Add an incline......

Can you achieve all this on 45rwkw??

Option 1- drive only at night.

Option 2- don't drive near hills.

Option 3- stable cooling system able to sustain 150 rwkw +.

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
1,039 Posts
Y62 Would do it easy up hill and on a 40 degree day .no issues

2761 - 2780 of 2800 Posts