Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
Im a tourist from Europe, I bought a patrol gu zd30 2001 2 months ago unfortunately the car has broken down with a leaking head gasket, the Nissan mechanic told me it was better to do an engine swap than trying to fix it. As I’m leaving the country soon and just want to get rid of it for the most amount of money as possible, I was wondering which engine conversion do I get most the most of money for when selling. Furthermore is it maybe more worth selling the car broken.
best regards
Emil

·
Premium Member
nissan
8,033 Posts
Best improvement for dollar spent will be to get a second hand engine (one with good compression) of the same model from a car wrecker.

You will get very little from anyone that knows it has a stuffed head gasket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best improvement for dollar spent will be to get a second hand engine (one with good compression) of the same model from a car wrecker.

You will get very little from anyone that knows it has a stuffed head gasket.
Hey overboard, thank you so much for the quick answer, I forgot to tell I’m not able to do the conversion myself, but I have a mechanic willing to do it, without knowing anything about this topic, I just thought that maybe using a newer more expensive engine would be better taken the price of conversion into account. The picture is what the mechanic told me View attachment 547720 .

·
Premium Member
nissan
8,033 Posts
Removing and replacing an engine with another from the same model is not what I would call a conversion. Everything will line up and plug together without problem. An engine from a later model has the potential to take more time and effort to get everything together and I doubt you will get much more money for it.

Your link didn't work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removing and replacing an engine with another from the same model is not what I would call a conversion. Everything will line up and plug together without problem. An engine from a later model has the potential to take more time and effort to get everything together and I doubt you will get much more money for it.

Your link didn't work.
Hey overboard thank you so much for your answer, initially I was maybe thinking about going for a td42 as they sell for more, but you have swayed me more towards a zd30 from the same age, I have tried to send the link again, hopefully it works
Font Rectangle Parallel Paper Number

·
Premium Member
nissan
8,033 Posts
Obviously the seller knew of the problems, was it bought privately or through a dealer
Good point. If it was from a dealer then just take it back and get them to fix it under the 90 day warranty that dealers have to provide in Australia.

It's true that Patrols with TD42 engines are worth far more than ones with ZD30s but that is for cars that came from the factory with a TD42. The reality is that cars that have been converted to a TD42 are worth far less than factory vehicles, even if they have all the extra details like diff centre changes etc. There is no way that you will recover the cost of doing a TD42 conversion by its sale afterwards and from my observation you would have trouble finding a suitable engine in good condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thank you so much for the answers, I bought the car 2 months ago, but I have already driven 9k so more than the 90 days. The issue with the dealer is he knows I am a tourist on a schedule so he just dose the answer my calls. I have already talked with consumer affairs, but before they can’t help more than a month will go by, and I have a rooftop tent on top of my car that i lives in so I dont have the funds to be away from my car that Long.:( It was a dealer though. And another thing, the dealer is in Darwin and I’m currently Stuck in Brisbane so he really has all the leverage unfortunately.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
Okay thank you so much for the answers, I bought the car 2 months ago, but I have already driven 9k so more than the 90 days. The issue with the dealer is he knows I am a tourist on a schedule so he just dose the answer my calls. I have already talked with consumer affairs, but before they can’t help more than a month will go by, and I have a rooftop tent on top of my car that i lives in so I dont have the funds to be away from my car that Long.:( It was a dealer though. And another thing, the dealer is in Darwin and I’m currently Stuck in Brisbane so he really has all the leverage unfortunately.
The question I would ask is how much do you want/need to get back? If you do need to change engine I would get a ZD30DI rebuild from exchange business and fit that, don't do an engine conversion fraught with problems, extra costs.
Try talking to the dealer again, maybe get a legal opinion.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
I'm not sure you would get enough extra to cover the rebuild cost over what you would get for it with just a second hand engine with good compression.
Lol, I'm probably thinking more of the next poor bastard to buy it, hence me asking earlier in that post what he really expects from a transaction.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
1,729 Posts
First, send him a registered letter describing the issues experienced, mentioning the 90 day warranty he owes you, and demanding your patrol to be repaired or your money back. The clock will stop ticking at that point providing the registered letter is delivered withing the 90 days. Otherwise, it would be too easy for the dealers to run away and escape their responsibilities. This is how it works in my country.

Second, did you check on the net if anybody already experienced problems with this dealer ? You can create a facebook group to search for "victims" of this dealer. Very efficient too. Takes time.

Third, to put a "gentle" pressure on this dealer, I would advise here widely his name address, and tel number. At least it would avoid others to fall in the same trap. And "bad press" is your best friend.

Don't you have an australian friend who could help you on this matter and follow it for you ?

·
Registered
Nissan
7,672 Posts
First, send him a registered letter describing the issues experienced, mentioning the 90 day warranty he owes you, and demanding your patrol to be repaired or your money back. The clock will stop ticking at that point providing the registered letter is delivered withing the 90 days. Otherwise, it would be too easy for the dealers to run away and escape their responsibilities. This is how it works in my country.

Second, did you check on the net if anybody already experienced problems with this dealer ? You can create a facebook group to search for "victims" of this dealer. Very efficient too. Takes time.

Third, to put a "gentle" pressure on this dealer, I would advise here widely his name address, and tel number. At least it would avoid others to fall in the same trap. And "bad press" is your best friend.

Don't you have an australian friend who could help you on this matter and follow it for you ?

Naming and shaming generally isn't a good idea in Australia

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,203 Posts
He will be buying a second hand car with a second hand engine that is known to have good compression. That is probably a better deal than a lot of Patrols.
Maybe, not something I would do though, could be just me. We still don't know what he expects as a return ratio.

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,926 Posts
Unfortunate situation and am afraid that the dealer may just ignore your request for assistance. Could try more with him so to see reason.

From my brief reading on-line:

Extract from the NT Gov.au _ Buying a used vehicle from a licenced dealer

Buying a used vehicle

STATES that (extract):
"If a car is more than 10 years old or has more than 160,000km on the clock, it will not be covered by the statutory warranty but still needs to be in roadworthy condition if it is registered when sold."

Unless there was other warranty provisions provided as part of the sale with your 2001 Patrol, it is sad but guess it will be a case of buyer beware.

Suggested following options _ "If you are left on your own":

talk to the mechanic you referred to and see if he would provide a quote for the supply/install of a replacement 2nd hand ZD30_good compression (engine as suggested by @Overboard), and

compare against resale value "condition as is" and then decide which way to go considering that your time left here is short.

All the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys thanks for all the help, it really means a lot, firstly interms of how much I am expecting to get for the car, I think just as much as possible taken the installation into account. My mechanic has given me a quote of 2500 aud for removal and install of a new engine, so I’m thinking this is the best option. In terms of getting a second hand engine, where would be the places to look near Sydney. All advice is much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts