Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
7,668 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the help, it really means a lot, firstly interms of how much I am expecting to get for the car, I think just as much as possible taken the installation into account. My mechanic has given me a quote of 2500 aud for removal and install of a new engine, so I’m thinking this is the best option. In terms of getting a second hand engine, where would be the places to look near Sydney. All advice is much appreciated.
What's your budget?

·
Registered
Nissan
7,668 Posts
THHere
I have max 12k to spend, but I would only spend that much if it really gave a lot more value to the car. Furthermore my mechanic just gave a quote for a zd30di with 200ks for 5.5k so it would be 8k with install, is that worth it?

That seems high for a Di motor... But I don't have a good feel for it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
8,029 Posts
Sorry I’m not 100% in my English, is it too expensive or?
It is a bit expensive for such an old engine but most of the cheap motors will have 400k - 800k on them.

Shop around. In Australia auto dismantlers are called car wreckers or auto wreckers so do some googling, find who has one in stock and get some quotes.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,668 Posts
Sorry I’m not 100% in my English, is it too expensive or?
No, nothing wrong with your English at all. More so the price you were quoted. Seems high

·
Registered
2007 GU
45 Posts
How long left do you have of your holiday? I think fixing the car is a waste of your time and money to be honest.
You will be getting rid of it soon anyway so the only reason to fix it is to try to get more money from the sale and in your position I believe that is a gamble. Anyone you are paying to do the work will see you coming from a mile away and charge a fortune for it. The amount you will spend on this I believe you will be lucky to make back in higher resale value.
You will also waste the rest of your holiday waiting for it to be fixed.
Does it still drive? Can you just abuse it with "stop leak" and run it into the ground then sell it to a wrecker when you leave?
I appreciate this approach might not be popular and I would not do it to my own car but then I want to keep mine for longer than you do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone
Im a tourist from Europe, I bought a patrol gu zd30 2001 2 months ago unfortunately the car has broken down with a leaking head gasket, the Nissan mechanic told me it was better to do an engine swap than trying to fix it. As I’m leaving the country soon and just want to get rid of it for the most amount of money as possible, I was wondering which engine conversion do I get most the most of money for when selling. Furthermore is it maybe more worth selling the car broken.
best regards
Emil
If in southern Queensland area I have 2002 complete rebuild for negoitable price. Possible even help with install.

·
Registered
2010 GU VI WGN AUTO
61 Posts
I personally would contact mr cylinder head find out where there located, they will likely know good mechanics that won’t take this piss and can install their kits well and cheap, $1650 for complete head kits delivered free. Have it delivered to mechanic and pay for a rush job. You may get away with the total being 3/3.5k

·
Registered
17 Posts
How long left do you have of your holiday? I think fixing the car is a waste of your time and money to be honest.
You will be getting rid of it soon anyway so the only reason to fix it is to try to get more money from the sale and in your position I believe that is a gamble. Anyone you are paying to do the work will see you coming from a mile away and charge a fortune for it. The amount you will spend on this I believe you will be lucky to make back in higher resale value.
You will also waste the rest of your holiday waiting for it to be fixed.
Does it still drive? Can you just abuse it with "stop leak" and run it into the ground then sell it to a wrecker when you leave?
I appreciate this approach might not be popular and I would not do it to my own car but then I want to keep mine for longer than you do.
I completely agree. The time and money trying to fix this properly will not be made back when it comes time to sell as well as the stress that goes along with it.

The car can still be sold later as a fixer upper when you leave. If it can’t be driven now then I guess you are stuck fixing it but I would do that as cheaply as possible and sell it when you leave (with full disclosure of course).

T

·
Registered
Nissan
7,668 Posts
I personally would contact mr cylinder head find out where there located, they will likely know good mechanics that won’t take this piss and can install their kits well and cheap, $1650 for complete head kits delivered free. Have it delivered to mechanic and pay for a rush job. You may get away with the total being 3/3.5k

Need to pull the cylinder head to confirm condition of rest of motor, or use some kind of internal inspection camera to confirm condition of pistons before pulling head. Otherwise, you are 1600 dollars into a rebuild with not much to show for it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
56,163 Posts
Need to pull the cylinder head to confirm condition of rest of motor, or use some kind of internal inspection camera to confirm condition of pistons before pulling head. Otherwise, you are 1600 dollars into a rebuild with not much to show for it.
Cameras you can fit down the gp hole aren't expensive, I have one I've put into the turbo while running.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts