Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys just after some advice
I’ve got a Gq with a TD and noticed that changing the heater from hot and cold changes the temperature of the engine, if you have it on cold the engine temp with sit around 65-70 and on hot it runs around 85-90 which is where it should be, I just don’t understand why changing the heater temp with cause the engine temp to change any idea?
Cheers
( Running a VDO aftermarket gauge)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
There is a heater core in the dash looks like a radiator so the water will cool down a bit as it circulates especially if the A/C is on. I had to use it a few times last yr to keep my engine cool on 40deg plus days just slide the control across enough so the cabin air was still cool it helped drop the engine temp a little. Side note I will be fitting a new water pump next week still running original 26yr old one fins are probably non existent..

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I think a possibility is what is happening is with gq's i think they have heater taps which stop flow through the heater core when on cold, unlike gu 4.2 which have full flow regardless of heater temp setting ( hot or cold ). I would think that by closing the heater feed you have created a dead spot in the probes location causing little or no flow.

Secondly if you see a temp drop by turning your heater on you have probable air flow problems with your radiator or other underlying problems. In a correctly working cooling system you shouldn't be able to detect differing engine temps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys for the advice, I’m going to have a play around today and see what I can find

1 - 6 of 6 Posts