Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I know there are bits and pieces about engine temp all over the place but i'm trying to gauge where i'm at as I have some overheating issues in my 99 TB45 auto. I'm particularly interested for those in Adelaide with ECU talk and know there temps up the freeway, as thats about a the best cooling system test you'll get around here.

I've just replaced, the radiator, fan blades, and thermostat (all genuine), and around town on the 25 degree day my temp is around 82-88 but a little inclines see it up to 95. Up the freeway on a 15 degree day it sat at 95 most of the way (3rd gear 2500-3000rpm) which i'm reasonably happy with. but the other day 30 degree did the test again and it got up to 104-107 by the stirling exit. At 104 the needle nudges past halfway and the aircon cut out kicks in.

My truck has the heater is bypassed due to failure, and the tappets need doing, but other than that she's pretty normal. Any thoughts?

Whats everyone else getting? interested in all models.

Cheers

·
Registered
757 Posts
i dont have a petrol powered Patrol but i would say if your getting that high on the highway you have some sort of cooling issue.
My 2.8 runs at 85-86 pretty much everywhere we go. Today we picked up a bull (weight approx 1 tonne) and coming up the step hill near home holding 90 in fourth mine got up to 93 deg.
On a warm day with ac on i will hit 93 on the steep hill also but thats as high as it goes. As soon as we get to the top it drops back to 85-86.

Maybe look at getting your radiator cleaned out

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Went up to Exmouth for two weeks and the temp on the 3 litre t/d sat on 85-86 the whole way their and back, that was by the ECU readout (fully loaded weight was 3.1 tonnes).
Went up one of the steep lookouts and the temp climbed upto 95 but it was 39 degree day so it was expected.
And the drive to coral bay it sat on 85-86 and the outside temp was 39 degrees.
So im pretty happy with the cooling system on my Patrol.
It a 05 auto wagon.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
My TB45 auto struggles to get to 75C. On the highway it will run 69 - 70 and 74 - 75 otherwise. These are ecutalk readings.
I have nothing in front of the radiator except the standard grille i.e. no driving lights or winch, etc.
The temp gauge never gets to half way.
I suspect it's a thermostat issue that makes it run so low so I plan on changing that next coolant change. I'd like to get it up around the 85 - 86 mark. I'm sure it will be more efficient around those temps.

My avatar shows the number plate covering part of the bottom opening but that's an old pic. I now have it in the middle of the plastic chrome section so airflow there is unrestricted.

·
Registered
845 Posts
here is some tb45 data. thermostat seems to be 82C and in the cool Melbourne spring weather we have now it sits around 82-85 around town and about 85 on the freeway at 100 km/hr. Towing last summer on the Hume at 37C ambient at 100 Km/hr it was going up to about 94 from memory. On a long hill in summer at full throttle I have seen it a bit hotter (97C I think). I suspect the radiator needs a clean too as it may be the original 98 model.

ecutalk, 98 tb45e, manual transmission, driving lights, mesh bug screen, 33x12.5-15inch tyres, injected gas

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
2,633 Posts
The 6.5 Chev diesel seems to run too cool if anything..... I have 2 gauges; one (a VDO gauge) in the back of the left head and the other (a TM2) bolted to the side of the block. The VDO usually struggles to get to 80oC, but will go higher on hot days.....going up the Adelaide Eastern Freeway on a 30 degree day it might get to almost 100oC.

The TM2 shows that the block is consistently about 10 degrees cooler than the back of the head.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My GQ tb42e gets to 81deg on the freeway with 2 kayaks on the roof (30deg syd day).

Normal driving it sits between 77Deg and 80deg.

I have almost 400,000ks on the beast so I decided to replace the fan clutch. Best thing I have done.

All registered from ecutalk.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how do you test a water pump? I'm pretty handy is it something you can do yourself or do you need to take it somewhere? Can i just remove the pump and do a visual inspection?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts