Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

Long story short, my wife has gotten offered a job starting in 2017 that would require us to move out of brisbane into a small town in SEQ.
We wont know exactly where for a couple more months. Could be places like Esk, Warwick, chinchila, Stanthorpe.

Im a mechanical engineers and obviously I'm wanting to find work out there.

Now i know there's mining positions possibly but excluding that has anyone spent time working as an engineer in a smaller town?

What kind of roles are out there?

cheers

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Only maintenance work and report writing from what ive seen. Unless there is some mob making machinery out there for farming.

Ring the pub and ask?

·
Registered
nissan
487 Posts
What type of mechanical engineering? Can't see much available in country towns without manufacturing. Civil will usually have a few to support infrastructure such as roads and water etc.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,978 Posts
The other thing I want to say, is were kinda shafted by time my friend. The discoveries left in a classical mechanics sense has been dwindling since Mr Isaac Newton. And the days of individual engineers getting patents since the turn of the century, I honestly cant remember when myself or one of my staff won a patent since 2000.

I have studied the electrical side and while I am qualified, I have to truthfully admit that quantum mechanics and semi conductor application really makes no sense to me and if you ask the so called experts they seem to argue about schrodingers cat till nightfall so phuck me I like science and maths and the safety of the mechanical stuff!! :)

Mate if your doing it really tough please send me a PM. I can afford to employ you on the basis of you working from home provided your qualified. It wont be a good salary cos I have issues with security clearances and what you could work on so I could only give you unclassified stuff and I cant pay beyond a minimum amount but if it gets you buy for six moths and your OK, send me a PM. If long term you can pass a security assessment we could look at paying you more and progressing your relationship with me. But such matters will be under NDA and never discussed in public like here.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,169 Posts
When moving regionally, I've found you need to align yourself with councils/water mobs because everything else is just Civil Eng. Generally regional asset owners don't have mechanical assets that require local engineering attention. Also it's generally not too hard to get into Civil Eng work as a Mech Eng.

I'm not familiar with the towns you mention, but being regional QLD town, there may be more available in local industry support roles (Agri, transport, HVACR, Hospital/Medical, etc)

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,448 Posts
As a mech engineer you could try the oil service companies out of Roma.

Wellpro call for people, and Well Test (name of company) would look at someone like you for Drill Stem Testing, Completions, Liner Hangers and Packers as a trainee (would not take long for someone with a bit of nous to go field eng).

Then there are the operators (oil / gas companies) who would look at you as well, dependant on what you have done before.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,180 Posts
There is a few engineering companies in Dalby that Origin use for maintenance quite often

·
Registered
Nissan
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies, given me some good leads to follow up on.

Im only a young fella, 27, and only been in the industry for about 4 years. My main field so far has been building services, the design of hvac systems for government buildings, (hospitals, prisons, defense bases) and also commercial office building. The other part was whole of life energy usage for these larger buildings. Pretty cool stuff, 10 year estimate for how much it will cost to keep a hospitals power on and usually around +-5%

I doubt ill find anything like that out there but im happy to start fresh somewhere and work my way up from the bottom, sell myself as a first year grad :)

Shout out to Nullack, I really appreciate your offer and your thoughts you gave. Its really great to have such a good forum not only for the 4x4 but to have so many good people out there ready to lend a hand. For now at least I'll have to politely decline, I really do appreciate the offer but I don't think I would be qualified and without knowing where we are going yet....

Haha there's always the option of popping out a kid and being a part time stay at home dad :)

cheers again fellas

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,169 Posts
I reckon you'll find similar work with Councils. They generally operate large asset bases that require efficiency and life-cycle assessments. It'll be more asset and efficiency management than mechanical engineering though.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
2,978 Posts
If your into applied thermodynamics with your AC stuff why not try to outsource your skills to data centres globally? Theyre popping up around the globe and you could do it remotely to model what their needs are and specify designs to keep the data centre thermally OK. I've had some layman try to suggest that data centre work is IT Stuff not engineering work, and somehow machines from an axe to a car to a helicopter are somehow fundamentally different and observe different physical rules. You would well know there is a basis of science across the board and this isnt what the layman might think about the world. What sometimes comes intuitively is really not the same as what the reality is.

I almost feel like I need to apologise about my offer. While I would have seen it through, I'd feel bad cos I would face costs in making you an employee and it would be difficult for me to do anything but a junior role. I know personally the discipline you've applied in obtaining your degree (its a hard slog I know first hand) and I honestly feel our bright young minds need to be put in positions that have growth and things I cant offer to you unless you relocated. So in some ways I'm pleased you've said no mate. My market is very small and involves allot of barriers to entry with security clearances and the like, and unfortunately most of the work is solid works and the like so if your not with that skillset I cant help ya.

Before I commenced my business 17 years ago I was unemployed for nine moths and it was a very desperate time for myself and my family and anything I can do now in a different position, even if I make zero profit like with yourself, I'll dam well do so. Theres not enough Aussie companies around and Im proud to say were 100% Aussie no question.

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,180 Posts

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Im a bogan? Well fricken yippee :lol:

Although i dont own a VN and my girlfriend isnt called Shazza. But thats another thread me finks.

·
Registered
2001 Ford Focus
2 Posts
I don't think that it is the best job you can gen. A better way is to find a way to earn online because there is a lot of side hustle ideas of jobs. Personally, with Digital Reflection, I get paid for having a hardware device connected to my computer router. Also, I earn quarterly bonus payments for validating any online devices used in my household (laptops, cell phones, tablets). Besides this, I am selling clothes online and ThredUp inspects all of the items, determine prices, then list them for sale. And as each item is sold, I receive the cash into my linked account, which is way easier than listing individual items online on eBay and then having to ship purchases to the buyers.
Overall, just find your perfect way of earning money.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
I think these posts might be over 5 years old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts