Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday All,

Im considering going back to Uni to do a Bachelor in Civil Engineering this time and was wondering, can any engineers recommend some text books to read up on.

I have done a first year of a Bachelor of Applied Physics, Bachelor of Business (Marketing and Economics) and Advanced Diploma of Engineering in Mech/Mechatronics but never finished any and I consider myself as a qualified bush/backyard engineer, but have decided to further my already established career in Water/Sewer as it will always be a stable industry that won't have jobs exported.

Even if you can suggest some Engineering math text books, that would be great, bit rusty on the maths side of things :wink:. I sold all my text books and only have a Materials Science one left and I cannot remember any that I sold.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Oh, and if you have any experience in studying engineering by distance education, PLEASE let me know your thoughts on it.

Cheers all,

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
I have only some general advice. Firstly, go for the basic degree and don't take on any more than that. Do the courses that are easiest first. Get as much credit as you can for what you have already done. Don't go at it like a bull at a gate...pace yourself. It's a long haul dude.

As for textbooks...it's a scam to get as much cash out of you as they can. Only buy used and only if absolutely necessary. Borrowing is even better. The lectures will tell you all you need to know and if you are lucky you can avoid textbooks altogether. (PS-I'm a cynic)

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice mate, I think I'll just keep an eye out for stuff on eBay so if its crap or outdated it hasn't cost me.

Its going to be a VERY long time, 6-8 years part time :S hopefully I can get at least a year or two off with recognition of prior learning, thats why I want to make a head start.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
I have only some general advice. Firstly, go for the basic degree and don't take on any more than that. Do the courses that are easiest first. Get as much credit as you can for what you have already done. Don't go at it like a bull at a gate...pace yourself. It's a long haul dude.

As for textbooks...it's a scam to get as much cash out of you as they can. Only buy used and only if absolutely necessary. Borrowing is even better. The lectures will tell you all you need to know and if you are lucky you can avoid textbooks altogether. (PS-I'm a cynic)
Nah bugger that, always buy new and then through tax claim them back. My entire time studying engineering I was employed as an engineer or in a technical role so I just wrote them off as work related publications. They also look god in your bookcase when you get that bit of paper.

Also nowdays the courses will change textbooks on a yearly basis as they add more and more interactive content, last years is probably out of date.

Heyhey as to what to study up on, dont even bother until you know what you can get credit for and what you cant.

·
Registered
nissan
503 Posts
if your doing civil eng get statics and mechanics of structures by Hibler, heaps of good **** in there to keep you scratching your head for the next 10 years. im doing civil at swinburne

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
The uni etc will tell you what books you need and yes loads of stuff now is interactive. I'm a lot out of touch these days but one book that served me well was Engineering Mathematics by K A Stroud, cuts through the crap and gives you what you need as an Engineer, but YMMV as they say !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts