Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys a got a erps electronic rust protection kit for "large 4wds" for pretty cheap, its brand new and has 8 contact pads. has any one on here installed the electronic rust protection their selves? if so wheres ideal spots to put all the parts on a gu wagon, thanks for any help guys

·
It's all good
4,157 Posts
yeah , I took the controller i had in my old GQ out when i sold it ( just left the pads in )and put it in my GU with 6 new pads - 2 under the bonnet near the head lights , 2 on the floor behind the front seats and 2 in the cargo area near the tail lights

·
It's all good
4,157 Posts
Does it actually work?
maybe , I looked at it as a cheap rust prevention tool , my GQ was an 88 model which was used on the beach/bush heaps of times , all i ever did was wash it after a trip , when i sold it the patrol only had a couple of small rust bubbles ( 5 cent peice size ) in the roof just above the gutter, that patrol was about 20 years old so i figured it couldn't hurt putting it on the GU , IMO

·
Registered
707 Posts
I installed mine which is on a cab chassis. I rang them up and asked for the best spots and they mentioned to have one on the chassis at the rear. Makes sense to protect the chassis as well?

·
Registered
100 Posts
hey guys a got a erps electronic rust protection kit for "large 4wds" for pretty cheap, its brand new and has 8 contact pads. has any one on here installed the electronic rust protection their selves? if so wheres ideal spots to put all the parts on a gu wagon, thanks for any help guys

1 in each door, one under the bonnet, one in the rear quater panel and one at either end of the chassis. the pads must only be placed on clean painted surfaces, advisable to place a bead of silicone around each pad once they are in place.

make sure all connections are water tight on the wiring, just the touch of the bare finger will stop the signal getting through.

only draw the power supply from the starter battery and not an aux battery, and if an older style unit ring erps and get them to send you a replacement inline fuse for it.

do all this and they do help aid in the prevention of corrosion. they are not a be all and end all, you still need to keep up with preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Theoretically, yes it should work.
It will not prevent rust but it should slow the rusting effect down.
If you understand the science behind metals, you will understand
How it theoretically works but it depends if the unit is fair dinkum
Or not...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Erps

So which ones are fair Dinkum??

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So which ones are fair Dinkum??
The "dinkum" ones haven't just got an $8 Narva 'flashing' LED and an empty box ;) which counts out most of the E'bay scammer 'no name' ones.

Flatnatics pretty much summed it up and a few other posts mention how to install them which is the biggest issue to getting the best out of the devices.

Don't use Silicon unless you specifically source one of the compounds suitable for aviation use. Many Silicone products utilise an acidic curing process and that will cause the problem you are trying to overcome.

Sikaflex and Mastik compounds are purportedly the best but again doesn't hurt to check the Manufacturers site.

Yes, the Units work within their limitations and the Technology has been around for years in the Shipping and Ports Industries world wide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts