Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I've got an 89 GQ wagon thats been my mates owned from New. Its now done 440000 and the TB42 is starting to get abit tired. Use to use it to tow a trailer for work but she's since retired about 2 years ago. The cars never done any offroad work and is really in tip top shape for age. Always garaged, no rust or anything. The gearbox had an overhaul couple years back and is fine also.

My mates decided since its now retired he want to use it to tour around the country towing his offraod camper.

We were thinking instead of rebuilding the tb42 to slot in a td42 as its more suited to his requirement. I've done a search and found that if we have a donor vehicle it should be pretty easy conversion. I read that you have to swap the flywheel over. Didnt see much about engine mounts though. Are they the same.

Basically i'm asking from who knows/done one. What are the hard bits i should think about before starting and roughly what we might spend. i was thinking might be able to find a written off GQ with a 4.2D for 3k or something. Even a bashed up GU with a good 4.2 turbo for maybe more $ would be good. Park them up side by side and let the fun begin.

·
Registered
nissan
284 Posts
I have done this on my GQ, gone from TB42e Auto to a TD42T manual,
As long as you have all the factory components there it is straight forward, You can use the petrol loom, but I preffered to source a complete diesel loom, runs through the engine bay, in the firewall and plugs into the rear half of the loom under the front seats.

Engine mounts are different, But bolt straight in. Need the TD42 flywheel and starter, starter has a extra bolt.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Yeah easy job to do. i done it by my self when i was 17. On some modles the engine mounts are the same . some had 2 bolts into the chassy others had 4. as road runner said you can use the petrol loom or change it for the diesel loom, its not a real hard job just takes time to pull the dash out and unplug and clip everything if you do that its a good idea to lable all the plugs. if you use the petrol loom you will need to rig up the tacho, a glow plug timer system and ingnition system is differnt ( petrol powering the coil diesel just gives power to fuel cut off solinoid). bogaard do a after market timer moduel or you just use a relay and a pressbutton. the Diesel bell houseing has 1 extra hole for the starter moter. If the donor car has everything in working order still there should be no hidden cost (unless you need to hire engine crane ect.) there is an extra fuel line on the petrol that you dont need for diesel you can eather romove it or just ignor it. you can keep the fuel tanks from the petrol just flush it out properly and blow the lines out. few other things to consider are what condition the Clutch, clutch master, slave are in.
Good Luck with it :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
It's an easy conversion. I bought a wreck for $1700, swapped what I needed, then sold everything else. I came out in front with the costs.
Don't bother changing the wiring, it's one piece from the headlights right through the engine and dash. Just modify the petrol harness, it's heaps easier.

As mentioned above there is the 2 bolt and 4 bolt engine mounts. If the donor car has different mounts to your car just change the mounting brackets on the engine. They are the same between TB/TD but aren't interchangeable between 2bolt/ 4 bolt types (if that makes any sense).
Also I had to change my tacho because the petrol one wouldn't work with the diesel rpm sensor.

there is an extra fuel line on the petrol that you dont need for diesel you can eather romove it or just ignor it.
What extra fuel line? They both have 1 main line and 1 return line?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
On the petrol there is a breather line that runs into the carbon cannister thing in the engine bay for emmisions on the diesel its is vented at the fuel filler. fuel line was the wrong word, but its a steel pipe the runs with the fuel lines along the chassy. i gues you can just make it vent at the engin bay but i copyed exactly what the diesel patrol had and revoved the hole line. that make sence? i can get pics if u want im doing the same conversion for a mate in my backyard as we speek.

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool so its pretty much as i thought. If you have the 2 complete vehicles its pretty easy just have to get the spanners out. Thanks for all the replys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts