Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Have seen a similar machine here in aus before but not that complex, still requires alot of blokes to operate

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
No, its not laying new track, it resleepering an existing track. The existing rails are reused, only the sleepers are replaced.

Machines in use include a TLM, Track Laying Machine in the early part, Undercutter/BCM (Ballast Cleaning Machine) about half way through, and a Tamper towards the end. I see the latter 2 quite often in my job.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, its not laying new track, it resleepering an existing track. The existing rails are reused, only the sleepers are replaced.
Well then its even more extreme! Pull up, pull off sleepers, put new sleepers down, re-lay track!

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
If you watch it, its fairly easy to understand. The clips are removed, the rails are spread to either side of the machine, held out by rollers 1.00 minute, the old sleepers are lifted 1.10, stacked and removed to the rear of the consist 0.20-0.40, a new stack is brought forward on the return journey and placed in position for use 0.00 - 0.15, simultainous lifting and stacking to the rear (bottom) of old sleepers as new sleepers come forward (top) 1.00 - 1.25. New sleepers spaced and aligned 1.25 - 1.55, rail realigned onto new sleepers 1.55 - 2.15, new pads and spring clips in place 2.15 - 2.40, and clips installed under tension 2.40-2.49, Undercutter and Ballast cleaning 2.57 - 3.30 with spoil ejected out to side at 3.11-3.12, (Undercutter/ Ballast cleaning machine does what it says, lifts entire rail/sleeper combo excavates the formation from under it then cleans the ballast and relays it) Extra ballast is brought in and roughly layed 3.40-4.03, formation is then tamped 4.03-4.51 (Tamping machine lifts rail/sleeper combo and forces ballast under the sleepers, packing it in to hold track in place, the fingers being pushed into the ground spread out when underground) more ballast brought in 4.51- 5.17 and final formation shaping of ballast is then done- not shown but similar to 3.40-4.03. A lot off this operation is only possible due to CWR (Continuous Welded Rail) instead of the old clickety clack jointed rails.

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
There was a similar machine in the import terminal next to my work a few months ago. Amazing, i think it may have been a BCM or profiler made by Plasser Theurer (sp.?) still a sweet bit of kit.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
I actually stopped halfway between Gladstone and Rocky a couple of weeks ago to watch these machines work on the line. Pretty awesome to watch.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
when that top thing moves along the train it sound like the fighter planes out of starwars!!

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
we just trashed one of those cause the risk assesment proved it to be dangerous. its an older one. none of the enclosed capsule on top of the gantry crane, just a seat and an engine and lots of noise.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Operating those machines for a living would have to be the most boring thing i could ever imagine doing. I tilt my hat to those blokes, somebodys gotta do it.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Operating those machines for a living would have to be the most boring thing i could ever imagine doing. I tilt my hat to those blokes, somebodys gotta do it.
My thoughts exactly. You would just hope for some s*** to go wrong just to brighten your day.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Tracks, the things trains run on ;)

I care about trains, track only matters to me when it breaks trains, then I have a sad.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
my mistake. thought by the writing on the train maybe it was german............

Bugger me you are correct.
I only watched it in a small screen before so I didn't notice the writing.
The machines up in CQ are the same colour.
I didn't even notice the houses even though I used to live there. :oops:

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
Well, its definately not Qld, and probably not Australia. Yes, QR uses track machines built by Plasser/Thuerer, and the colour would be pretty much standard across the board, but the give away is the locos hauling the ballast train in the last minute. My guess would be europe somewhere. They seem to use that style of cab on their locos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts