Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who are ex ADF......

Thoughts on the ADFA sex tape sordid episode. Is it being fairly portrayed in the media?

My personal thoughts:
The dude and his buds will already have thier names crossed off the defence lists, and to me, the military lost nothing it should never have let through the doors in the first place.

ADFA and defence command has handled this poorly, the 5 ringer in charge will have a horizontal career if hes lucky. The divisional officers will be disciplined and the middle rankers will be sacked or reposted to the nether regions. Whoever convened the discipline proceedings today for the female cadet will not be employed tommorrow, probably running everything inline with the Discipline Act but damn this is where they should have gotten someone with much more gold lace and media savvy to go hey whoa this will be damaging push the schedule out a bit.

But the female cadet, who has a history of discipline problems at the academy, has now gone rogue against defence and mainly caused this boilover. (Once the PM mentions it in her daily press blurt and the defence minister publicly backhands defence its a boilover to me). Where I lost all vestiges of lingering support her is where she invoked the HMAS Success booze cruise. I dont get how a (presumably first year) RAAF cadet in canberra can make such a charge for starters, I think its a media grab by her to wangle heartstrings of the feminista's at large to allow her to stay in defence in some form. I hope she gets sacked.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
i want a link to the video before i can make a decision.

IMHO more fool them for letting the video get released in a media age.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
I'm not ADF personell but I'll add my 2c

I reckon it's a beat up... Blown out of proportion by the media.

Are they not young . Ie 18-23 sort of age.

I totally admit that it is a gross breach of trust and the girl has every right to be pissed off, but come on if it was in a uni or college no one would batter an eyelid.

There are far far bigger issues with our defence force and the gaps in out defence capabilities that should get the media attention ... But don't. Basically because Gillard and the greens thing the world is kittens and rainbows and everything should be aproached softly softly.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
There you go chef. Never done any military service. Never learned the martial arts...how to keep and bear arms. I understand you a little better now.
And I'm sorry that your life experience has been limited.

I understand why you are such an inclusive and accepting human being and why you expect everyone to be nice to each other. I'd like to encourage you to keep on with your crusade. Change the unbelievers. Enlighten them if you can. Turn your face against racism (up here it's called 'Raaycisim'...usually accompanied with finger pointing and threats.)

But, chef, remember it isn't all about the colour of a man's (or person's if you prefer) skin. There are other racial characteristics, like slitty eyes and big b'doobly lips. God did this deliberately...it was to make sure that colour blind people could hate them too.

And, remember kid...while you are wrecking the state...keep a song in your heart and a smile on your lips. And, try to recognise when you are having the piss taken.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
FirstGU. Just a thought. Why don't we ever forget it? It's been donkeys years for me.
Even pissed I couldn't forget it. It's not as if we used it every day, or even every week. I was only in for two years (in Malaya)
Maybe they used some kind of mind-meld on us?
Ask me my drivers license...wouldn't have a clue. Reg plate No. perhaps.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,121 Posts
25 years. Mostly Special Forces.

2 taxpayer-funded trips to Vietnam and a few other places.

Retired as an officer after working my way up the ranks. Definitely not Duntroon or Portsea!!!!!!

First half of your post I agree with, Benno - 100%

But I think you're being a bit unfair on the young woman. I don't have all the details, obviously. But my reading is that she took some unauthorised leave (AWOL) and got on the p!ss at some stage. A totally predictable reaction to the ***** she was put through by her so-called colleagues.

I can totally understand and accept two young people getting it on, even though the rules say "No fraternising". But it is totally inexcusable for the bloke to set her up so his mates can get their jollies. He (and probably his mates) should be given their marching orders and a bloody good whipping on their way out. Definitely not officer material in my opinion.

I reserve judgment on the young woman - she needs some serious support before any decisions are made about her future.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Another civilian here;). IMO the girl did the wrong thing by breaking the rules. But the ADF failed to discharge their responsibilities also. This duds involved (and his mates) is a creep. And whoever said about if it happened at uni noone would batter an eyelid is either the same kind of creep, or has never been to a uni. This girl is the victim. This deserved more media attention than the lack of funding as sexism in this world is more of an issue in human rights abuses than is racism or political wars.

·
Gunner
nissan patrol
4,162 Posts
Ex Defence,did 27 years in Pussers.

Fraternisation between cadets is not condoned within the confines of ADFA, what they do off base between themselves is their business (within constraints of the DFDA (Defence Force Discipline Act))

Having said that, what the bloke did is down right disgusting.

I would expect that All personnel involved in this sordid little affair will by now have been removed from classes and will be awaiting the outcome of an inquiry by ADFA Staff and I dare say Military Police Authorities.

Now that the media have got hold of this and will do a Beat Up on it, heads will roll. The worst part of it is, the staff there may not be aware it was happening and they will cop it as well. Once these types of allegations are made, every available avenue to exhausted to find out what happened and how. The appropriate action will then be taken against those members, counselling will be offered to all involved and ppl could/will be removed from Defence. They will also be dealt with within the Military Justice System and possibly Civilian one as well, if it is warranted.

Things like this are not kept secret, there is a phrase used, it is "Liable To Cause Media Comment".
These matters are handled within the Military Justice System and if need be, Civilian Police will be brought in. It is so things are handled properly and not blown out of proportion as the media has a habit of doing. So that the wrong slant isn't put on things.

Having said that, I find the broadcasting of his little tryst with the female is disgusting and a breach of trust. She is now going the whole hog with this, but the problem is, these ppl will be out of the Defence Force shortly but remaining members still in defence and especially within ADFA have been tarred with the ugly brush.

The thoughts and opinions mentioned above are entirely my own and in no way reflect on anybody else.

·
Registered
nissan
1,422 Posts
FirstGU. Just a thought. Why don't we ever forget it? It's been donkeys years for me.
Even pissed I couldn't forget it. It's not as if we used it every day, or even every week. I was only in for two years (in Malaya)
Can I ask you politely how old you are?

Only that I am involved with interviewing z force personnel, if your not of that vintage feel free to tell me to f uck off

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean. I dont even remember the missus's phone number. lucky its programmed into my phone. I only did 3 years. Was good but i joined late (21) and had already formed a lot of opinions and completed a trade and so didn't take to the mould to well.
No regrets though.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I think that the whole thing is fairly typical of our modern day media. It's all about a few days worth of catchy headlines. Sadly the girl, the other cadets and the ADF are going to suffer from it all. It sounds to me like the matter has been handled fairly poorly by all concerned and there have been some fairly poor decisions made, starting from the decision of the two cadets to behave like all other 18 year olds. They should have realised that they're not like all other 18 year olds when they're in the military long before they decided to have a nookie. And to broadcast it over skype !! Thats just stupid and shows very poor decision making, morals, lack of respect and generally not the kind of values, ethics and integrity that I want in my ADF.

But all I know is what I've heard in the media, which is probably nothing like the facts.

BTW, I'm a civillian. But I have an ID card that gives me the equivalent rank of WO2. I've done a fair amount of work with ADF people over a reasonable period of time. I've met a few tossers in the ADF but for the most part I have nothing but respect and pride in my ADF, whether they be cadets still at high school, cadets in officer training and all other ranks .
They do us proud.

I just wish they ( all of the ADF ) got taught more about the sensible use of the internet and social networking.

·
Registered
Nissan
185 Posts
Ex-ADF. Did 15 years as a pusser.

He's an idiot, so are his mates. But they've only been in 3 months and I don't think represent a flea. She's pretty stupid too and will milk it all no doubt.

Btw I was on Swan in the early 90's. Look that little number up - what a bum fight for the Puss and everyone involved.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
I did 21 years and spent more than the average time in the kaka for playing up but it was victimless (cept for me) things like late for work after a Huuuuge night on the p1ss etc. Me and the mates would get up to all sorts of stuff but NEVER would we treat a comrade like that.

It's the underlying betrayal that is the issue from a purely 'clinical' viewpoint. No ADF dude of any rank will ever trust or respect them. The military psyche is funny like that. You start of with 100% respect for the uniform and the dude wearing it either keeps it at 100% or loses it. Lose it and it is all but impossible to get it back.

The dudes should be on the street already 'services no longer required' and let the matter be handled by a civil court.

Total lack of moral fibre.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
3608047 1RAR.

This type of thing happens all the time, more than servicemen will admit too. I remember when I went down to enoggera for a recruit training exercise at 6RAR (early 90's) and watched a homemade film of jacki and fiona mcdonald going nutso with a few boys, was filmed in the sergeants mess on base.

Also recall a few other high profile girls that liked to play up with the uniform boys.

Just these days its more publicised. And oh so easy to "web" it on the fly with Iphones and such before you think oh crap maybe I shouldn't facebook this. But after 20 schooners its ... hell yeah.

AJ's are renowned (propbably not as much as naval personel) world over for any port in a storm.

·
Registered
Nissan
2,121 Posts
Can I ask you politely how old you are?

Only that I am involved with interviewing z force personnel, if your not of that vintage feel free to tell me to f uck off
From one of his posts:
I was only in for two years (in Malaya)
He was a POGO for a couple of years, between wars.....:p;):D:p

Don't think you'll find too many Z-Force members here - wouldn't be too many still driving.

(Dons flame suit and sits back.........:cool:.....)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts