Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

Ive been a member since this time last year i believe but i reckon this is my first post! Has been a very helpful site over the last year! So G'Day

i own a 99 4.2T coil cab ute with only minor mods on it. I purchased it mainly for work and am looking to set it up for a some trekin around VIC/NSW. Up and coming mods will definetly include a spanking new cooler, snorkel, and some bigger tyres! But first off im looking at setting the tray up for work and play. Ive seen a few members on here with the fibreglass canopies and i think its a great idea. My only problem is trying to find one. Does anyone in Vic have any contacts, prices, and information on new and old canopies. Done a search on this site and theres not much about. Just want to know where anyones dealings have been and any recommendations!

Cheers Adam

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol 4.8
158 Posts
g,day Adam,
Lots of variables here, best to supply as much information about what you have to build on and what you want...
Make sure your weight of canopy is as light as possible, very easy to overload quickly with insurance/safety/roadworthy issues.. Alum is the go and you can pay somewhere from $4000 for basic good one or as much as $13,000 plus.... $6000 should get you an exxcellent alum canopy with a few extra's..
Not sure where you are but here in Melbourne try Dynamic metal fabrications in Bayswater, custom made to your needs, for a really special (and expensive) try metal form industries in Warragul Vic... they look good but cost plenty... All arounf Melbourne there is a Company called MW tool boxes or sheetmetal. or something like that. They are cheap aluminium canopies... they are built by asian welders locally... not sure what the deal is but they are cheapish (a bit roughly made though).. and also Boss aluminium in Bayswater Melbourne.. All these have web site and are new of course..
Otherwise search ebay for Tradesman canopies of ute canopies... something like that.. you can get some awsome deals if you look around and don't rush in, often as low as $1000..

Good luck
Wayne

·
Registered
118 Posts
AdamGU I have an ex-Telstra body on mine but it is all aluminium body and not fibreglass. Manufactured by Obieco in Tamworth. See below. Has an 80w solar panel on the roof + luggage carrier, home made drawers including under the bed, wind up caravan type roof vent, solar ventilator, 85l water tank in the rear, slide out table and fridge on slide and other goodies. Includes dual spare wheel carriers on the rear. Due to it's alloy construction it was very light but not now that I have filled it up. Have seen them on ebay for as low as $2000.00 but they generally sell for a little more.

Cheers goldfinder

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
726 Posts
Hi Adam,
Welcome.
Mine is an ex telstra aluminium Rosco's Trade Mate and am very happy with it.
One thing to watch out for is that if you get one of these off a leaf sprung vehicle you will find the mounting points are different. One of our members Beachbums has put one on a coil Cab and he knows the tricks and pitfalls to doing this.
Cheers
Marty

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
I don't think someone my height of 6"4' would fit in that haha. But if I was 5"4' that would be exactly what I'd do with my non existing GU ute.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
thanks for the info guys! Had a phone call back from a car dealer who sells alot of ex telstra patrols and he said he could off load one for $7,000. I might do some research and get a few quotes before doing anything.
Nice setup Goldfinder thats is something like what i will be chasing!

Anyone else had any dealings with Aluminum canopy in the Melbourne/Vic area??

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
AdamGU I have an ex-Telstra body on mine but it is all aluminium body and not fibreglass. Manufactured by Obieco in Tamworth. See below. Has an 80w solar panel on the roof + luggage carrier, home made drawers including under the bed, wind up caravan type roof vent, solar ventilator, 85l water tank in the rear, slide out table and fridge on slide and other goodies. Includes dual spare wheel carriers on the rear. Due to it's alloy construction it was very light but not now that I have filled it up. Have seen them on ebay for as low as $2000.00 but they generally sell for a little more.

Cheers goldfinder
Nice setup.

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks mate but could be a little hard and costly to get down to Vic from Qld. found a few more local fabricators might try if i can work something out with them. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts