Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas long time lurker first time poster here
Finally decided to join the group. I’ve dabbled in diesels before. However new to the whole new model turbo diesel scene.

To cut a long story short I was chasing some underpowered issues and I came across an intercooler caked in oil.
I’ve since cleaned the whole intake and fitted a provent catch can. I’ve done 700kms and there seems to be oil back in the intake as well as the catch can capturing about 20ml of oil and the filter element is quite wet.
Wondering if this is normal?

I’ll attach some photos.

·
Registered
04 GUIII ZD30 Manual
124 Posts
My intake is very clean with the provent installed

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see some oil in my intake also with catch can provent 200

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thanks mate so not to much to worry about. Seems like it’s common. Somewhere also quoted 200ml per 10,000 kms is normal. So if it’s collecting 20ml roughly per 1000 I wouldn’t be far off that mark.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yeah mate i wouldnt worry too much . Theres plenty on here with more knowledge then me and i beleive they may have made mods to reduce oil and harm to a bear minimum though. I just dont know that my knowledge myself

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She’s definitely become a worry in the past day.
Whilst I haven’t measured it. What you see in the beaker was less then 1/4 of the length of the drain hose being full another 300kms gave me over half the length of hose. Estimated 40ml. And a short drive last night almost filled the hose. When I drained it on the side of the road I estimated 50-60ml. I didn’t really get an accurate reading. Because it was in a cut red bull can on the side of the road. It seems to be getting worse very quickly. I suspect the turbo but I will compression test it in the next couple of days and let you know. But yes something’s wrong for sure.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
Whilst I haven’t measured it. What you see in the beaker was less then 1/4 of the length of the drain hose being full another 300kms gave me over half the length of hose. Estimated 40ml. And a short drive last night almost filled the hose. When I drained it on the side of the road I estimated 50-60ml. I didn’t really get an accurate reading. Because it was in a cut red bull can on the side of the road. It seems to be getting worse very quickly. I suspect the turbo but I will compression test it in the next couple of days and let you know. But yes something’s wrong for sure.
As a simple test I would put a 1L milk bottle as near as possible but out of harms way and put a hose directly and deep into that and drive for a few days, lets rule out any unseen restrictions etc and get an accurate overview.
My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Id deffinetly get it looked at after hearimg all that

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
30B0B311-086F-4F03-B7D8-882920099FA5.jpeg

so an update so far. I have so many problems
With my gu all at once it’s hard to tackle them all. It’s actually quite overwhelming. And the blowby issue is just frustrating and I’m at the point I don’t care anymore and have a bottle in the passengers door that I’ll drain into every few days.
So I went ahead and replaced the turbo since my last post. Yes the turbo was buggered.
did it contribute to the excesive blowby? Not sure. These 2 bottles(600ml empty water bottles) show the first 2300kms on the new turbo.
Until I needed to top up the oil again however. I decided to use the CEM oil flush. Which I done last week so I’ll keep measuring until 2300 kms is achieved and then continue till 5000kms.
If the car will run that long of course.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
877 Posts
I link this to the 2000 RPM limp mode you described in another post.
If your turbo is not properly set, MAF voltage gets too high, and you might kill your turbo again, if it spins too fast.
If you don"t have one, get a boost gauge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I link this to the 2000 RPM limp mode you described in another post.
If your turbo is not properly set, MAF voltage gets too high, and you might kill your turbo again, if it spins too fast.
If you don"t have one, get a boost gauge.
hey mate I think your replying to
The other thread.
turbo should be set already out of the box I was told.
I do have a boost gauge.
I get the odd 20psi spike in second gear.
Otherwise 15-16 psi max.
Also I’ll like to add that when it does fail it’s not building boost. I.e. sub 5 psi.

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
877 Posts
20 psi for a stock turbo is too high. same with the struds.
You run the risk to kill your new turbo.

What psi do you read on a flat road, no wind, constant speed of 80km/h ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At a guess off the top of my head maybe around the 10-13 psi mark. But maybe lower never really look when the car is coasting.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
At a guess off the top of my head maybe around the 10-13 psi mark. But maybe lower never really look when the car is coasting.
20psi for a stock turbo is safe, many of us here on P4x4 have run up to 22psi for years without issues. Once you get above 22psi yes there can be issues but most relatively std vehicles will see no actual benefit beyond 18psi (in some cases even 16psi), once you get above 25psi then head studs may start to become stressed.
You really should be looking at your gauge under different circumstances so that you learn what is happening. I can tell you exactly what mine is doing at any given time, a cruise boost of 10-13psi under under the conditions Phil mentions (except I would make it 100k) is quite good and should deliver quite good eco, mine cruises between those numbers, I cruise at 102-103K out on our highway.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’m going to go for a squirt in the car tonight I’ll jump on the freeway and do a steady 100kms and get a boost reading.

I’ll do it again on the main road back at 80kms.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
I’m going to go for a squirt in the car tonight I’ll jump on the freeway and do a steady 100kms and get a boost reading.

I’ll do it again on the main road back at 80kms.
A note on making changes to your vehicle when trying to fix a problem, do one thing at a time, analyse the result and move to next phase. Doing multiple things means you learn nothing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Flat road steady throttle holding 100kms
About 2600rpm in fifth gear
Is bang on 11psi most of the time if not 10-11psi

1 - 20 of 36 Posts