Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for suggestions on excessive fuel consumption. 2006 GU IV TD42Ti wagon 140k odo about 3t kerb weight, 33" muddies, 3" lift, roofrack, etc. 3" exhaust, airbox 90mm pvc lid mod with K&N, boost 14psi, advanced injector pump slightly, compensator pin at max position, starwheel adjusted slightly, egr mod, butterfly removed in inlet piping, pre turbo EGT max 650, usually 0 to 500 normal driving, standard HT18, std intercooler and piping, minor rattle/knock on cold start up at idle, fairly clean tune, minimal soot off boost. 16L/100km max. Best is 15L/100. Mostly highway and rural driving. Running 2 stroke oil also. Any suggestions? Thinking maybe need more advance on injector pump but already getting knock as mentioned.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Its not really advised to advance the fuel pump in a td42ti. It can do weird things if advanced to far.

With everything you have listed you would be doing pretty well to get much better than 15/100. You are pretty heavy with added rolling and wind resistance.

·
Registered
739 Posts
battling with similar at the moment.

Is your egr blocked? Have you cleaned the oil out that tend to cake the inlet manifolds?

when did you last adjust the valve clearances?

How long since you reco'd your injectors?

Is you No 1 cylinder with its needle lift sensor broken and sending the crude ecu timing to fully advanced?

Has it been dyno tuned?

I have recently blocked my egr which I have noticed around a .5lp/100 save. I have also just replaced my No. 1 sensor and its to early to tell if I have had a benefit here. Like wise I am only on my second tank with 2 stroke in the fuel.

So that leaves cleaning out my intake and my injectors. I had a look in my intake and it wasn't too bad compared to some of the pics in DT's thread. That leaves my injectors. They have a fairly annoying rattle at idle that gets better on the throttle under load. I have been doing things bit by bit to just get the car running as best i can and trying to document the improvements with each change.

james

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
3t, 33's, 3 inch lift, rack etc I think you hit the nail on the head right there!
Your maybe a 1tr or 2 more than usual but wouldn't call it excessive!

Reactions: nissannewby

·
Registered
nissan
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read about the issues of too much advance with the TD42Ti. I moved it barely mm. It definitely improved response.

EGR is blocked. Done at 110k.

I agree weight is of course an issue but I just didn't think there could be that much difference with similar setup but different turbo, eg UFI 18G that I have read a lot about.

I'm thinking maybe of checking actual measurement of pump timing. Seems like a bit of a pain to remove injector lines to check.

·
Registered
nissan
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Valve clearances checked regularly.

Haven't done manifold but cleaned out intercooler which had very minimal oil deposit.

Haven't done injectors sobe I've had it 2yrs + and around 30,000km.

No dyno tune, done it myself (motor mechanic with some diesel fitter experience)

I would have thought No 1 injector sensor fault would log a fault code?

Appreciate the replies so far. Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
On my td42ti weight and wind resistance play a big part. With just the ute and an empty tray with no tray sides I can get mid to low 12's. With the tray sides on this will go to high 12's low 13's. Then if I put the canopy on it goes anywhere between 14 and 16 depending on how much is in the back.

I weighed mine with me and my mrs in it and only half a tank of diesel (sub empty) and tray sides on. It came back at 2.7t

Im running a UFI 18g @ 26psi and everything else is standard at 340k running about 115rwkw. EGR deleted, 3" straight through exhaust and ufi airbox lid.

·
Registered
nissan
1,836 Posts
Mud tyres may create a little more rolling resistance the size of the tyre should be fine mine runs good on 33" A/T's any bigger you may see an increase in consumption. How's your tyre pressure I expect it would be in the 40's considering your pretty heavy. Weight and wind resistance, aerodynamics of a brick living in a hilly area trying to keep up with the traffic flow are some things to consider. Shedding unnecessary weight will help, making sure it's injectors are clean and the vehicle is mechanically ok keep the air filter clean not using full throttle when it's not required and letting the turbo do the work. If practical only use the roof rack when required you should be able to get better consumption with a few changes. Just noticed your in the valley I'm originally from Newcastle so yeah lots of hill in that part of the country and lots of stop starting.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
That pump setting is too rich for that boost on the ht18. It won't be burning all that fuel.

That boost is prob 2psi higher than you should be running with the factory intercooler.

With that tune your max EGT won't be less than 500..more like 580-630... and certainly won't be zero so there is something wrong with the gauge.

Set the timing back to stock...it shouldn't be knocking and the TCV does a good job on its own.

I don't get the 2 stroke oil fad...wouldn't be putting it in my engine. In the same bucket as fancy engine oils, hiclones and snake oil for me.

·
Registered
nissan
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 2 stroke seems to help a bit. Not completely sold on it yet though.

The EGT guage reads from 200 (I think). I wrote 0 because I meant no movement of guage. Nothing wrong with the guage. It's not easy to get it up to 600. (Autron guages)

Was thinking of adjusting timing back to std and seeing how it goes. What economy would you expect I should get timo_ed?

Might go down to 12psi too. I'm willing to try anything. Don't want to loose driveability though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts