Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi..Got a 1997 Gq Patrol Trayback TD42 (No Turbo). Will I notice any difference in performance or fuel economy if I fit Extractors and a bigger exhaust system. I mainly use the vehicle as a commuter and to tow a small Tandem trailer with a Dingo (Mini Digger) on Board. If so how big do i go with the exhaust system..Thanks

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
Sorry i cant be more helpful but i do have a mate that fitted exagerators and a 2.5" system to his GQ TD42 Shorty, he said there was a noticable difference in power but nothing to blow you away. I guess every bit helps though.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I fitted extractors and 2 1/2 inch system about 4 yrs ago, a little increase in power and 900 later ( had to extract 6 out of the 12 exhaust studs) I wish I had gone straight to the turbo, oh and heaps louder.

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
is any 1 running a 3 inch on N/A 4.2d? i wanna go 3 inch if possible

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The extractors & 2 1/2" system on my TB42 wagon have made a definite improvement in performance (especially after a good tune & valve-clearance adjustment) & rev-ability but no difference to economy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
Yeah mate, I run extractors and a 3 inch system on the TD42 Shortie. Makes a big difference in performance I've found. Good acceleration, great for passing at 110km/h. It will easily and quickly pass 130km/h by the time you round up a semi at hwy speeds. I get a bit over 800km out of a standard tank of diesel around town and hwy but in saying that it is a SWB.
The only thing against the 3 inch system is the noise. Can get quite loud at 100km/h but they can definately hear you coming.
I highly recommend this mod if you are not wanting to go down the turbo road.
Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Yeah mate, I run extractors and a 3 inch system on the TD42 Shortie. Makes a big difference in performance I've found. Good acceleration, great for passing at 110km/h. It will easily and quickly pass 130km/h by the time you round up a semi at hwy speeds. I get a bit over 800km out of a standard tank of diesel around town and hwy but in saying that it is a SWB.
The only thing against the 3 inch system is the noise. Can get quite loud at 100km/h but they can definately hear you coming.
I highly recommend this mod if you are not wanting to go down the turbo road.
Cheers.

thanks mate thats what i wanted to hear :), will look into it at tax time some more

·
Registered
nissan patrol
47 Posts
a 4.2 would love the 3" system and the noise facter depends on what type of muffler you run or on how many you run but a 3" is generly alot more expensive compared to a 2.5"

·
Registered
nissan
16 Posts
Looking at the same for my td42t...someone told me you lose power low down though with a 3" exhaust and that 2.5" would be better?
is it 'illegal' to not run a muffler? i know heaps of people run straight thru without one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts