Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to finally pulling my finger out and upgrading the exhaust on the Patrol. I spoke to Nissan yesterday and they confirmed it will not affect my warranty as long as the exhaust isnt the direct result of any future problems. I was hoping someone with some mechanical knowledge (of which I have none) can give me a list of problems that Nissan may claim are a result of a new exhaust, and are these costly fixes. Our dealings with Nissan since we got the car have been quite positive, they have been very helpful, particularly when we had a couple of warranty problems. Cheers.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Since the zd is an absolute power house to start with adding an exhaust will no doubt triple its power!! So at a guess Nissan will blame every single engine problem, interior problem, drivetrain problem on it! The extra g forces that the patrol will be put under will cause all sorts of catastrophic failings...

In all seriousness the doodle brain service guys probably wouldn't tell if the exhaust is after market or not, they all look stone chipped and rusty within a few months.
And it get the knobbies to print a list and sign it listing items not covered due to exhaust mods.
How much warranty do you have left?

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warranty finishes at the end if next year. The car currently only has 40,000klms on it.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
As chopped said, just do it and live life on the edge!!

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I'm definitely doing it, there's no doubts about it. I was just trying to get an understanding of what possible problems (particularly those most common to the crd) could be directly attributed to an exhaust. The extended warranty wasn't cheap so just want to know where I stand if something were to go wrong and Nissan decide to be assholes. I phoned them today and they are sending me a list of potential problems they wont cover, I said I want it emailed over and signed by their service manager.

·
Registered
nissan
212 Posts
They will claim **** like "turbo over speed" due to the high flow exhaust. Or the computer putting in extra fuel because the exhaust sensors can't accurately detect the airflow through the high flow exhaust. If they don't want to warrant something they will claim it's the exhaust, they will claim it is anyway and most people except it and walk away unhappy. Fight it and make them prove it was the exhaust and when they can't you will be the winner

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
They will claim **** like "turbo over speed" due to the high flow exhaust. Or the computer putting in extra fuel because the exhaust sensors can't accurately detect the airflow through the high flow exhaust. If they don't want to warrant something they will claim it's the exhaust, they will claim it is anyway and most people except it and walk away unhappy. Fight it and make them prove it was the exhaust and when they can't you will be the winner
It doesn't have exhaust sensors.....

My rig now has 47000 on it. I potentially voided much of the warranty -

Lockrite front diff - front axle wty gone, transfer case probably
Nomad valve body - auto trans wty gone, probably diff and extra hit on transfer
Snorkel - not a Nissan one
Lifted, so any suspension related issue wty gone
Adj drag link, steering box wty probably gone
Lots of extra wiring for stuff - wiring fault wty gone
33" rubber, whatever I didn't can the wty on in the driveline/suspension now taken care of...
Servicing - did all my own from day 1 except one 10k service in Alice Springs.

So I finished up with a new vehicle with no warranty on anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts