Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need an extra cab but cant find anything on the market (ie: Freestyler, Ranger) that will be as robust and capable off road as a Patrol.
So I'm thinking of doing the big chop to mine myself and I'm needing tips from those who have done it.
The reason I mentioned the BT50 Freestyler and Ranger is because they have the suicide doors which is what I want in an extra cab but I'm not convinced either of those models will cut the mustard off road in the hard stuff.
I doubt I'd be able to integrate half size suicide rear doors into a GQ successfully and then there's the legal and engineering side of it. Maybe gull wing?
Ambitious thoughts for a project I know but who knows

Cheers, Sudso

·
Registered
nissan gq swb
483 Posts
1st step I would do is talk to our Nazi Trans SA, and see if it can happen in SA. They aint too interested in helping sometimes, especially suicide door conversion.
But hey, they may surprise us.

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
Why not body swap a ranger or similar extra cab onto a GQ chassis?

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
if you look up an 80 series its known as cranky its been cut in to an extra cab and has a rear door for access to a fridge was built by a fella from tassie its been in 4wd action no idea what copy it is though

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I have seen a space cab GQ Sudso , that had the rear doors cut in half, but they still opened and closed like normal doors they were just smaller.
Do a dual cab chop, full doors, removed seats and mounts shelves.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
I've seen unregistered GUs with suicide front doors. Ranga racing's winch truck GU Ute is built like that.

I'm reluctant to do too much custom bodywork on a 4x4. One tree or rock and you've got to re-do the whole lot.

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good food for thought, thanks guys

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1st step I would do is talk to our Nazi Trans SA, and see if it can happen in SA. They aint too interested in helping sometimes, especially suicide door conversion.
But hey, they may surprise us.
That would be the first hurdle

·
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I have seen a space cab GQ Sudso , that had the rear doors cut in half, but they still opened and closed like normal doors they were just smaller.
Do a dual cab chop, full doors, removed seats and mounts shelves.
Yea dual cab would be easier but I want 6ft long tray and a dual cab would make the tray stick out way too far over the back.
07-11 Rangers and BT50's have small suicide doors that open up 90 degree's which opens up the whole cab nicely

This is closest to what I want but it doesn't have suicide doors. I would be happy with normal opening doors but a bit shorter than this ones
1990 Nissan patrol GQ custom extra cab ute
Found out it has a ute rear and the rear doors are the front part of the existing wagon doors and rear part of front doors joined together as I thought.
I have a spare RH & LH front door in my shed :mrgreen:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts