Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys over the weekend and a couple more days so far I thought I would start to finish my rear storage in my wagon and make some more behind the front seats as I very rarely have anyone in the back.

so I removed the rear seats and started to ponder. few things I wanted to have were:

-second battery
-fuse block for all in cab accessories
-more storage
-fridge but somewhere it wasn't going to block my rear view
-more flat surface area so I can sleep in the back of the wagon

so this is what I came up with.

IMG_0455.jpg
removed rear seats and started measuring

IMG_0459.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg
fitted a divider

IMG_0464.jpg
removed all the accessories from the main battery and ran the new battery cable from the red arc smart isolator to the rear. I ended up running it under the dash and down the the centre, under the centre console to the back.

IMG_0466.jpg
80lt waeco where I think is a good spot as it is out the way, doesn't block my rear view, I can get fairly easy access to it while driving if I need a drink etc and the weight is also in front of the rear axel keeping the car more balanced and the weight lower to the ground.

IMG_0467.jpg
starting to take shape now. where he 2 bottles are the oil and coolant, eventually I will run a 3rd battery there but for now good spot to store the bottles.

IMG_0468.jpg
IMG_0470.jpg
running the multi core cable from the front to the fuse block in the back. the cable is 18 core so plenty of wires to run as earths and power.

IMG_0473.jpg
how it looks so far still need to make the rest of the top board but you get the idea.

IMG_0471.jpg
also decided to run a separate stereo in the back and off the aux battery so the main doesn't get flat and cant start the old girl.

cheers jc

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Looking good, keep it coming.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers guys.
today I made sure the aux battery was getting charge and ran power to another acc point on the left hand side for the fridge so that's now running well. also cut up a small bit of galv angle iron and made a little area for some switches and fitted one for the rear stereo.

also finally fitted some eyelets and straped down the battery and fitted a removable shelf above the battery and mate the top board so it all looks complete now.

still need to mount the rear speakers but yeah so far so good.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Looking good JC, are you going to vent the battery to outside since it's a lead acid? They emit hydrogen when charging, esp if they're absorbing a fair bit of current at the time... And I'd hate a tiny spark from a blowing fuse a few inches away and just behind your arse to ruin your day... ;-)

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha yeah I can imagine that would ruin my day. how would you vent in mate?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do generally drive around with the front windows down if that helps haha?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
small 40mm pc fan for $2 off ebay and a bit of radiator hose to rear panel behind where yr seats were- it will breath thru the external vent in the exterior rear pillar

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Hmmm...

Well theoretically seal the box and vent it to a hole in the floor... But then hydrogen is lighter than air so would rise so that wouldn't really work so well. I would probably drill some holes in the lid of the plastic box to make sure hydrogen doesn't build up in there, and yes windows open should certainly help. It's a small risk but a real one nevertheless.

Ideally you would change the battery for an AGM or other sealed type that doesn't vent like a normal lead acid, to be on the safe side.

I would also secure an 8mm plate steel blast shield to the back of your driver's seat, just to be sure, and always have a dripping wet beanie ready to slip on your noggin :)

Reactions: jc4x4

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm...

Well theoretically seal the box and vent it to a hole in the floor... But then hydrogen is lighter than air so would rise so that wouldn't really work so well. I would probably drill some holes in the lid of the plastic box to make sure hydrogen doesn't build up in there, and yes windows open should certainly help. It's a small risk but a real one nevertheless.

Ideally you would change the battery for an AGM or other sealed type that doesn't vent like a normal lead acid, to be on the safe side.

I would also secure an 8mm plate steel blast shield to the back of your driver's seat, just to be sure, and always have a dripping wet beanie ready to slip on your noggin :)

hahahah nice idea bout the beanie.

the battery box I brought already has a couple of vent holes in it which I thought was good.
eventually I will change the battery to as you say and AGM or maybe to something like an optima, but only thing about the optima that im not liking is they need to be constantly charged or they do fail quick so I have heard but a good AGM should do what I want fine enough aye.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
Nah bud the opposite is true about optimas, they have a very impressive shelf life, ie low self discharge rate. They are very difficult to abuse.

Fantastic battery, and given how long they will last they actually work out cheaper IMHO than a $150 lead acid.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm interesting cheers for that. in that case what would be better for the aux battery yellow, blue or red top?

eventually I will run 3 batterys in total and one will be just for the fridge its self which may even have a solar panel on the roof for trickle charge etc.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,647 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the red is the starting battery, the yellow is the start/deep cycle, and the blue is the 'marine' which in this case means it's a yellow but with extra threaded terminals next to the posts and it's blue instead of yellow, so I'd go yellow or blue if one is cheaper than the other on the day.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I'm not mistaken the red is the starting battery, the yellow is the start/deep cycle, and the blue is the 'marine' which in this case means it's a yellow but with extra threaded terminals next to the posts and it's blue instead of yellow, so I'd go yellow or blue if one is cheaper than the other on the day.

no worries cheers mate. will have to catch up for a bit of 4wding some time?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
small 40mm pc fan for $2 off ebay and a bit of radiator hose to rear panel behind where yr seats were- it will breath thru the external vent in the exterior rear pillar
hey buddy sorry I only just noticed your post I might look into that one cheers.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hope you've got an easy way to pull that fridge out of there without dismantling all that hard work :)
gday there mate believe it or not it does actually come out pretty easy aye but its more a permanent setup.

cheers JC

Reactions: Cobes
1 - 20 of 21 Posts