Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you with 4.5's, have gone down the extractors and exhaust route for a bit of extra power, and how much difference it made.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
From other threads, cost of extractors + full 3in system, isnt great value for money. But that comes down to expectations - how much you expect to gain.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
I put them on mine. reasonably happy with the little bit of extra power they give. in all honesty tho if i done it again i'd probably only change from the cat back to a sports system. I fitted 2.5" system from cat back myself first and then a week later had exhaust shop fit the extractors and to be honest i found that there was a marginal diffence in fitting the exhaust but i don't think the extractors made much more difference on top of that... but like truckster says depends on how much you expect to get out of it.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Id be interested to know how big a difference is made with headers and exhaust. Is it enough to recoup the lost power on a TB45 by adding 285/75's because im keen for new bigger tyres but i dont want to rob any more power from the already athsmatic six.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
i was running 265's when i got mine didn't notice much difference in putting the 285's on other than speedo now reads acurate rather than a mile over. Then i fitted the exhauset and then week later extractors. I got the redback system from ebay. cost me about $750 last year when i got it then $150 to have extractors fitted... had 2 broken studs so let the pros handle it.
I must admit tho last time i went up to newcastle it was actually accelerating up the hills not just holding same speed.

·
Registered
nissan
115 Posts
I've fitted extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust and am happy with the gain. Hasn't turned it into a race car but it does go up hills much better, revs up smoother and slightly better economy. Sounds nice too!

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
I've fitted extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust and am happy with the gain. Hasn't turned it into a race car but it does go up hills much better, revs up smoother and slightly better economy. Sounds nice too!
I have a 99 GU 4.5 auto dual fuel. I used to get 300K from 90 litres of gas. I fitted a 2.5" system and a K&N airfilter and I now get 420K out of 90 litres and pulling a 2.5 tonne caravan can pull up a hill 1 gear higher than before. I have been quoted a further 15% improvement with headers, but have not got them on yet.

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
I have a 99 GU 4.5 auto dual fuel. I used to get 300K from 90 litres of gas. I fitted a 2.5" system and a K&N airfilter and I now get 420K out of 90 litres and pulling a 2.5 tonne caravan can pull up a hill 1 gear higher than before. I have been quoted a further 15% improvement with headers, but have not got them on yet.

That sounds good enough to me, now just to save some money.

·
Registered
nissan
526 Posts
That sounds like an impossibly huge improvement! I'd say your cat had collapsed before u got ur new one fitted and it had been robbing you of klm's before you changed the exhaust

1 - 10 of 10 Posts