Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just wondering if its possible to put extractors/headers on a 3L diesel GU? Is it worth the money and does it make much of a difference other than allowing the gases to flow out the engine more freely? If anyone has done thiers in brisbane please recommend who did it if you are happy with the job?

Cheers
Boley

·
Banned
616 Posts
Hi Boley.
I am one of the forums less mechanical minds but been here long enough to repeat answers to questions I have read and asked. You don't put extractors on diesels, you fit dump pipes and yes, a significant (high end??) power increase. Sure one of the fella's will be along soon to advise.

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks mate....i did have a 3inch exhaust and dump pipe fitted, and wondered why they never mentioned headers/extractors? I had a feeling it wasent needed, but thanks for clarifying!

·
Registered
387 Posts
You can't fit extractors or headers to a turrbo'd engine. They improve exhaust flow by providing individual pipes for the exhaust of each cylinder, whereas turbos need an exhaust manifold which brings all exhaust flow together and feeds it through the turbo, driving the turbo and hence compressing you intake air. As Shilo said, the dump pipe (off back of turbo into start of exhaust pipe) is often the most constrictive part of the exhaust system. Upgrading the dump pipe along with the exhaust pipe gives big power, torque and economy benefits on a 4.2, turbo diesel, I think it's also supposed to make a fair difference on the ZD30. Run a search, there are plenty of threads on it here.

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
I did mine awhile ago and the biggest improvement for mine was low end torque.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. Yeah the dump pipe and exhaust did make a difference. Engine seemed to rev easier and definately more torque down low. Also gave it a nice growl..!! Only fitted the EGT gauge after the exhaust so not sure if its affected temps at all?

·
Registered
279 Posts
You can't fit extractors or headers to a turrbo'd engine. They improve exhaust flow by providing individual pipes for the exhaust of each cylinder, whereas turbos need an exhaust manifold which brings all exhaust flow together and feeds it through the turbo, driving the turbo and hence compressing you intake air. As Shilo said, the dump pipe (off back of turbo into start of exhaust pipe) is often the most constrictive part of the exhaust system. Upgrading the dump pipe along with the exhaust pipe gives big power, torque and economy benefits on a 4.2, turbo diesel, I think it's also supposed to make a fair difference on the ZD30. Run a search, there are plenty of threads on it here.
I have seen some header made for turbocharged engine, a big mess of pipe and then onto the turbocharger, it was on a road car thou. Not sure the real benefit as the turbocharger is too far from the engine block, any energy remains may have been dissipited instead of driving the turbine disc....

·
Registered
nissan
124 Posts
u can buy turbo manifolds for lots and lots of different cars, it allows gases to leave engine quicker and gets the turbo spooling sooner as well, instead of getting a manifold made u could also get ur local exhaust shop to match port ur original manifold. we have put a match ported exhaust manifold on our corolla sportivo and gained almost 6KW. same goes for a turbo'd engine.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Im unsure of the patrol or diesels for that matter, but past experience with petrol turbo's showed compehensively that headers make stuff all difference and in some cases sends in backwards, especially by narrowing the torque curve. To make them work better when running big power required adjustable cam gears to advance the inlet and retard the exhaust by a degree or so. There isnt much science to exhausts on turbo's, once out the turbine housing, all the exhust needs to do get it out. Usually headers are so far up the mod list most cars never see it nor need it. They are only ever the weakest link when a big turbo added cant get enough exhaust gases to drive the wheels following major upgrades to pumps, injectors and rails. Thats only norh of 350kw atm from something like a 2L 4cyl. Twin turbo's into a single pipe takes more thought. 3' from by experience should be the gold standard and the minimum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts