Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to hear back from some owners of the 4.5L gu that have extractors fitted. Im wanting to fit a sports system of sorts and have read that extractors on a 4.5 make FA difference in fuel economy or more power down low, can the owners tell me if this is true and its just a waste of money to have them fitted. I also have lpg if that makes any difference...thanks.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
save your money!!!
Back in the day when mine was done it made SFA difference!
Some people claim they get great improvement, I reckon it's just cause they can here the exhaust,..

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
Personally I don't believe they make that great of a difference, but I found my cat on the old 4.5 was broken down on the inside and had that replaced and it made a noticeable difference. Obviously only if yours is buggered but I think it's a common problem on these motors?

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
Yes it does make a difference. Important to ensure the car is running well, you should also use an ECUtalk cable with Nissan OBD ScanTech software to clear the ECU self-learn aka long term fuel trims (this isn't reset by disconnecting the battery).

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Yes it does make a difference. Important to ensure the car is running well, you should also use an ECUtalk cable with Nissan OBD ScanTech software to clear the ECU self-learn aka long term fuel trims (this isn't reset by disconnecting the battery).
I think you can do it by disconnecting the battery, but you must evacuate any residual current, and then leave the battery disconnected for 3 days ?

I think a new 02 sensor is also beneficial ?

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
I think you can do it by disconnecting the battery, but you must evacuate any residual current, and then leave the battery disconnected for 3 days ?

I think a new 02 sensor is also beneficial ?
Correct it takes at least several days for the backup battery on the ECU board to run out of puff. But not sure if anyone really knows exactly how many days would be required. Better to just do it with the click of button IMO. And yes a new o2 sensor helps, the single wire ones flog out pretty quickly and get pretty slow to respond. In fact it's worth just whacking a wideband gauge in with a narrowband output so you can keep an eye on the mixtures, they're cheap enough these days.

Reactions: A4B

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
Yeh, pushing a button sounds better, not everyone has easy access to the button to press tho, personally don't think id want to wait 3 days so would go get it cleared (lol)

Do you know if the aftermarket o2 sensors are reliable, or is it recommended genuine only ? (I have not priced a genuine one )

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I think scottmeister should define 'difference'.
There is a difference but is it worth 800-1000$??
I don't think so!!
Maybe with a UNI chip or haltech and a re tune but on there own there not worth the dollars. And the noise a 4.5 sounds with an exhaust makes my ears burn! Unless your stock exhaust is stuffed than just leave it and spend your money elsewhere.

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
I think scottmeister should define 'difference'.
There is a difference but is it worth 800-1000$??
I don't think so!!
Maybe with a UNI chip or haltech and a re tune but on there own there not worth the dollars. And the noise a 4.5 sounds with an exhaust makes my ears burn! Unless your stock exhaust is stuffed than just leave it and spend your money elsewhere.
Difference as in yes it makes slightly more power? What did you expect? Anybody who thinks whacking some headers on is going to give them more than a slight difference is kidding themselves. Did you reset your long term fuel trims when you did it?

You don't think it's worth gaining 5-10 rwkw with a headers and exhaust for <$1000, but then suggest that maybe a Unichip or Haltech (i.e. another >$1000 plus tuning) which gives you 10-20 rwkw may be worthwhile. When does the difference become acceptable to you? Anything else you want me to define? :roll:

To A4B - don't bother with genuine, grab a Bosch generic single wire narrowband sensor from most parts stores for ~$80.

Reactions: parscheese and A4B

·
Registered
nissan
1,177 Posts
. And the noise a 4.5 sounds with an exhaust makes my ears burn! Unless your stock exhaust is stuffed than just leave it and spend your money elsewhere.
My exhaust is stuffed so will need replacing, but I know what you mean about the sound, most sound like a poxy 6cyl VK Commodore when fitted with a V8 exhaust, im assuming I can request close to factory "quiet" and yet still retain some benefits ?

If it drones on the highway I will not be a happy chappie , im to old for that s#*t :(

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Difference as in yes it makes slightly more power? What did you expect? Anybody who thinks whacking some headers on is going to give them more than a slight difference is kidding themselves. Did you reset your long term fuel trims when you did it?

You don't think it's worth gaining 5-10 rwkw with a headers and exhaust for <$1000, but then suggest that maybe a Unichip or Haltech (i.e. another >$1000 plus tuning) which gives you 10-20 rwkw may be worthwhile. When does the difference become acceptable to you? Anything else you want me to define? :roll:

To A4B - don't bother with genuine, grab a Bosch generic single wire narrowband sensor from most parts stores for ~$80.
No need for a sook dude, I wasn't taking a stab at you! I highly doubt zorst and extractors will net 5-10rwkw on efi engine!! Maybe a carbi engine where you can richer it up a bit to suit!
As for a chip it may only net 10 or 20rwkw but drivability is greatly improved! In MY experience I wouldn't waste the dollars! It's not worth it!! And no I didn't reset the fuel trims as this was on my tb which had it done 8 or so years ago and is long gone.
And yes I think some people think it will give there truck new magic powers to climb mountains in top gear when in reality it does jack all except more noise!

A for when does it become acceptable is when you pay a grundy and actually feel a difference :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Chip and full exhaust system is clearly the best way to go.

So why not do it in stages.

I see no point in chipping with a stock exhaust so do exhaust first.

Personally the 4.5 with an auto needs every extra kW it can get.
All the ones I have driven have been "doughy" and breathless.

Even brand new ones when I worked at Nissan.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Chip and full exhaust system is clearly the best way to go.

So why not do it in stages.

I see no point in chipping with a stock exhaust so do exhaust first.

Personally the 4.5 with an auto needs every extra kW it can get.
All the ones I have driven have been "doughy" and breathless.

Even brand new ones when I worked at Nissan.

Cheers

Justin
Don't get me wrong, i would have put a UNI chip on mine if there was a workshop closer than 10hours that did then! Lol
There was dude not long ago on here who had a UNI chip(I think), zorst etc and I think he netted around the 150rwhp but he was most impressed on the greatly increased drivability!
For the price tb's can be had for why not spend some coin on a chip, after exhaust of coarse.

A4B- as for noise levels I had the usual 2.5 inch system with a big muffler and a rear resi plus cat and it was just bearable at highway speeds.
I had the rear resi added after as when I had yhe system installed I was young and wanted the 'Hellman' sound... First trip away and strait back to exhaust shop for a big rear resi.!

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Correct overall drive-ability is the key.

After a lot of research for a mate that has Ti 4500 I found that although overall power gains are around 10% the gains in parts of the rev range can but up to 30% and that's where the drive-ability gains are significant.

These engines are tuned very lazy I suspected for emissions mostly so there is a lot of potential. It's not like it's a fundamentally flawed engine.

Still think the manual 4500 are a better overall package though.

Cheers

Justin

·
Premium Member
nissan
151 Posts
I had extractors and 2.5 inch exhaust fitted a couple of years ago. It did make a difference in driveability.
What chips are available for the TB45e and is there anywhere in Sydney who fit and tune these?

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
No need for a sook dude, I wasn't taking a stab at you! I highly doubt zorst and extractors will net 5-10rwkw on efi engine!! Maybe a carbi engine where you can richer it up a bit to suit!
As for a chip it may only net 10 or 20rwkw but drivability is greatly improved! In MY experience I wouldn't waste the dollars! It's not worth it!! And no I didn't reset the fuel trims as this was on my tb which had it done 8 or so years ago and is long gone.
And yes I think some people think it will give there truck new magic powers to climb mountains in top gear when in reality it does jack all except more noise!

A for when does it become acceptable is when you pay a grundy and actually feel a difference :rolleyes:
Maybe stick to tuning carbies...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts