Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i know this has been done to deth but it doesn't matter what i do the front as a mind of it own steer like a pig over bumps on the hwy it's just f**ked

tie rods have no play
new swivel hub kit
wheel bearings are good had them out and re pack them
NEW 45mm tough dogs
NEW HD return to center
i have 5.5 caster plats
new radious arm bushes

panhard rod is new so the bushes are good but on inspection the side that gose to the chassis had play in so put new bushes in and it still had the same play what els is there to do the steer box has next to no play from what i can see

·
Registered
nissan
289 Posts
I went through a similar pain, new suspension,bushes,shocks, steering damper etc ... tyre out of round,even bought new rims,changed tyre ...all ok ... swap your rear wheels to front or borrow someones to see if that helps the situation, or have em balanced on vehicle

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i have had a GQ with unbalance wheels be for and its more of a vibration at speed where as what i have at 50ks you hit bumps and its all over the road....

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
I've had old belts on the crank to power steering pump causing heavier steering at different times. It could be just unable to cope with the tramtracking/bump steer that you're speaking of. If you have a larger suspension lift then you might need a little more toe-in adjusted.

·
Registered
nissan
203 Posts
I've had all the above problems and tried most of the solutions. Whenever the steering on mine starts going pear shaped I replace the dampener - even if its not worn out. The only other time was when the dampener was new and the tyre pressure was the problem - I don't remember the details it was in the 90s.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had all the above problems and tried most of the solutions. Whenever the steering on mine starts going pear shaped I replace the dampener - even if its not worn out. The only other time was when the dampener was new and the tyre pressure was the problem - I don't remember the details it was in the 90s.

all tyre pressures are at 40psi and not going to swap out a new $300 RTC for a new one

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,686 Posts
Have you had the wheel alignment checked?
Can cause all sorts of problems
X2 Get the toe and castor checked. Even just the toe alone being out can cause wobbles with lift and bigger tyres.
Got an adjustable Drag link?

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok got a Wheel alignment today and told me that all was good

Castor left +0.38 AFTER -0.28
right -1.08 +1.50

camber left -0.13 AFTER +0.03
right-0.03 +0.09

toe left -3.2mm AFTER -0.7mm
right +1.4mm -0.08mm
total -1.8mm -1.5mm

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,567 Posts
I had simular problem with my old 33s, I have since fitted 34s and 35s with no more issues. There must have been something wrong with my old tyres or rims.
Have your tyres been re-balanced?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,091 Posts
i know i know this has been done to deth but it doesn't matter what i do the front as a mind of it own steer like a pig over bumps on the hwy it's just f**ked

tie rods have no play
new swivel hub kit
wheel bearings are good had them out and re pack them
NEW 45mm tough dogs
NEW HD return to center
i have 5.5 caster plats
new radious arm bushes

panhard rod is new so the bushes are good but on inspection the side that gose to the chassis had play in so put new bushes in and it still had the same play what els is there to do the steer box has next to no play from what i can see
My brother in law had a 94 SWB that did what you describe. You could be driving along and hit a minor bump and all of a sudden the vehicle would 'swerve' violently to the left or right. Basically steering the thing required constant correction and nerves of steel. He had done similar to you - new suspension, steering damper etc. etc. Even the mech couldn't figure it. In the end he couldn't stand it and sold it. From what he told me, the new owner put a new steering box in it and loved it.
I'm not saying that's definately your problem - but it would seem you've covered everything else...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
336 Posts
Try getting under the front panhard rod and get someone to turn the steering from side to side fast.Look at the top bush for movement,if there is thats yor problem.Even though its new they can still be crap.iI replaced mine with a sleeved inner and outer bush from 4way suspension ,fixed the problem straight away.also if you have big lift on it make sure your steering dampner is in line with your drag link & panhard Good luck

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.