Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taxi's have a long way to go

The unofficial time of 1 minute 48 seconds was set by 2009 F1 world champion Jenson Button, who was driving the first modern Formula One car to take to the hallowed track.

Button’s time, set in a 2008 McLaren, surpasses the previous fastest time clocked by a V8 Supercar, a 2min 6sec achieved by Craig Lowndes last year in a Holden Commodore.

F1 car smashes Bathurst record

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
So an "Unofficial" time is not recorded as such

So he coulda beaten it buy 30-40 secs , doesnt mean a thing

·
Registered
636 Posts
Shoot me down now, but.

I surprises me that they only took off 20 seconds per lap, I recon that if it were a proper F1 race then the figure would be more like 30 or even 40 seconds. I am not a fan of the design ( but I do like the races ) of V8 Supercars, too long, too heavy and therefore not a superb power to weight ratio.

Does anyone know how the lap times compare on other tracks that have F1 and V8 supercars one the same track? For example melbourne.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MQ MAD said:
So an "Unofficial" time is not recorded as such

So he coulda beaten it buy 30-40 secs , doesnt mean a thing
lol.. apparently they didnt record it for "safety" reasons... WTF?

I agree, but with a few more days they would take another 10 secs at least off that time

·
Registered
nissan
354 Posts
I surprises me that they only took off 20 seconds per lap,
From what i read, it was running at maximum ride height with maximum downforce. So essentially set up in it's slowest form.

No doubt with a lot of messing around, setting it up properly, they could smash a fair bit more off that time.

·
Registered
nissan
446 Posts
Well done craig he gets in Buttons f1 car and is only 1 second slower off the bat compared to Button. Be good to see a F1 car setup for the track and in race mode not preserve the car mode.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
334 Posts
to do an official lap thier would have to be fire and ambulance people with all the officials. This was just a 3 quarter pace lap for a bit of publicity and it has definitly worked

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
I surprises me that they only took off 20 seconds per lap, I recon that if it were a proper F1 race then the figure would be more like 30 or even 40 seconds. I am not a fan of the design ( but I do like the races ) of V8 Supercars, too long, too heavy and therefore not a superb power to weight ratio.

Does anyone know how the lap times compare on other tracks that have F1 and V8 supercars one the same track? For example melbourne.

Cheers Gordo'

If the team and driver had time or an incentive to set the car up right, it could easily double that gap. It would have been running an old detuned engine and pirelli slicks not at all suited to the chassis. The only spot where the V8 could pull back a little time is up the top of the mountain.

A quick time for a V8 around Albert Park is a 1:58. I think Vettel was punting the RBR around there in 1:23's last year.

Well done craig he gets in Buttons f1 car and is only 1 second slower off the bat compared to Button.
I dont think that gap was an accurate reflection of the difference of driver ability :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
530 Posts
Craig could just about drive Bathurst with his eyes closed, he knows every corner and bump in the road. If Jenson had the same experience at Bathurst as Craig his time would have been even better. Anyway hats off to Craig for what he does best, drive a race car whether its a V8 super car or an F1. Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
They have that each year at the GP good fun to watch, But again, detuned 'show/parade' car not really showing the gap at all.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
So its interesting a bloke who races these cars is only 1 second slower than someone who doesnt ???
Makes ya wonder how great a driver loundes really is ???

Maybe we should wack Button in a V8 supercar and see how he stacks against loundes ???

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've thought the same.

I was wondering how the F1 got on through some of the sharp bends and rises? there is the left hander going up to skyline and then the cutting which drops away and often has cars with a wheel off the ground. I guess that's why they would want to run max ride height.

What i want to see is an F1 Demo car with all the technology they know makes them faster but aren't allowed to run... Skirts and fans, active suspention and aero, turbos, ......Etc. Wouldn't surprise me if that opened 20 sec over the current F1's.
And full slics.

There is so much money in F1 these days that the whole circuits are designed around it, the problem lies in having a car traveling 20% faster, with gravel traps and safety barriers to allow some form of safety at this speed and at the same time getting the crowds near the action ( safely ). Someone is doing these calculations you can be sure of it.

Personaly I think they should get rid of pit stops,at least for tyres and fuel. At least then there would only be overtaking if someone drove fast enough to get around someone rather than it being done in pitstop times.

Cheers Gordo'

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
Isn't there anywhere that V8 supercars and F1 go around the same course at race speed?

Cheers Gordo'
Yes, Albert park....:confused:

They also do Bahrain, Yas Marina and also Sepang back in the day, but are all slightly modified so isnt totally reflective of the gap.

And they've had full slicks for a while now ;) Plus no refuelling. No tyre would last race distance safely either. I love pit stops as it brings another dimension of the team sport where many races are won and lost. Great to watch when two drivers come in right behind each other for the lead.

What i want to see is an F1 Demo car with all the technology they know makes them faster but aren't allowed to run... Skirts and fans, active suspention and aero, turbos, ......Etc. Wouldn't surprise me if that opened 20 sec over the current F1's.
They're running active aero this year which will give a bit of an idea on how it affects lap times, although I suspect 99% of that will be down to the pirelli's.

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts

A quick time for a V8 around Albert Park is a 1:58. I think Vettel was punting the RBR around there in 1:23's last year.
Isn't there anywhere that V8 supercars and F1 go around the same course at race speed?

Cheers Gordo'
Im only quoting rjhug, I dont know how accurate the figures are but seem reasonable.

The phillip island lap records are interesting to compare different types of vehicles. Though seems strange that supercars havent got any faster since Loundes in a VT??
http://www.piarc.com.au/files/PHILLIP ISLAND LAP RECORDS.pdf

·
Registered
nissan
1,961 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts