Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon to fit an air locker (TJM) and have bought a factory diff lock switch. Have worked out what pins I need to connect: dash lights (so it lights up at night); 12v in and 12v to relay for solenoid. Question is, what’s the best way to wire this without the plug that fits in the back? Anyone got one?! I was thinking I could cut the plastic socket surround down so that I can solder on to the pins themselves then perhaps use lock the tiny solders in place with non-conductive glue or something.
Hoping someone here has a better idea!

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that sounds good and was my first thought actually until I realised how small the female terminals would have to be. Can you get really small ones? Where?!

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,962 Posts
I'd try Jaycar for a start. They should have something, or be able to point you in the right direction.

The other option might be RS Components, but I found them generally rather expensive.

I've also ordered some terminals off AliExpress, but getting anything out of China right now might be a challenge.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
632 Posts
Jaycar should have something suitable, otherwise altronics. There are also a lot of online electronic component suppliers that should have something.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea - I’ll take it with me to Jaycar first and see if they have anything suitable - can get a deutch plug at the same time.
Cheers!

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, nah it’s a povo-pack.
Spoke to a wrecker and have managed to get a plug and loom which I’ll splice in to to use with the air locker. Should be good to go!

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you had a look behind the dash? The factory connector might be there, especially if the vehicle is an ST or above spec.
Ok so I’m a ********!
Got the plug and bit of loom I needed, put spade connectors on the four wires i needed, opened up the dash to look to splice into the cigarette lighter dash light only to find yes - the loom and plug is already there as you suggested!
Tried the switch- dash light works and gets power when ignition on - so only had to splice into the switch output wire to get a feed for a relay for the locker solenoid! Easy!
Thought maybe a locker warning light might come on in the dash, but no. Never mind.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,135 Posts
As yours didn't come witch a factory diff lock, Nissan probably didn't install the bulb and holder in the dash. Plus the diff-lock light is triggered by a switch on the axle housing, indicating when the diff-lock is actually engaged, not merely that the switch is on.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,962 Posts
As yours didn't come witch a factory diff lock, Nissan probably didn't install the bulb and holder in the dash.
Depends on what year model it is. My '14 Y61 has LED's soldered onto a PC board inside the cluster. No bulbs that can be replaced. I believe the later Y61's are all like this so if the OP has a later model, he might actually have a warning lamp, it's just not being activated.

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As yours didn't come witch a factory diff lock, Nissan probably didn't install the bulb and holder in the dash. Plus the diff-lock light is triggered by a switch on the axle housing, indicating when the diff-lock is actually engaged, not merely that the switch is on.
I’d read it flashed when the switch is turned on, the solid on when the lock engages, in which case a flashing dash warning light would suit me. If I ever have to get into the dash to replace bulbs (with LEDs) I’ll have a look then. A job for another day.

·
Registered
nissan
2,187 Posts
Ok so I’m a ****!
Got the plug and bit of loom I needed, put spade connectors on the four wires i needed, opened up the dash to look to splice into the cigarette lighter dash light only to find yes - the loom and plug is already there as you suggested!
Tried the switch- dash light works and gets power when ignition on - so only had to splice into the switch output wire to get a feed for a relay for the locker solenoid! Easy!
Thought maybe a locker warning light might come on in the dash, but no. Never mind.
I like it when it's easy.

The factory diff lock warning light is switched on by the diff lock control module not the switch. I doubt if this would of been fitted in your vehicle, but you could use a relay to switch negative to the diff lock warning light when you switch the locker on.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,135 Posts
Sorry, I was describing the GQ arrangement because that's what I have. Didn't think of GU.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts