Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guys overhere in Holland build factory rear lockers in the front of GQ's. I know that they cut the axle cover from both axles and weld a rear one on the new front axle.

But now the hard part: 31 splines front vs 33 splines rear! They won't tell anyone how they do it, but they don't use new custom made axles. They do these swaps cheaper than what an ARB will cost and I know they use factory parts.

Anyone over in Oz know about these swaps? I've seen already like 10 GQ's with these factory lockers front and rear!

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
only thing i can think of would be using the original front spider gears into the rear locker assy. should be a straight swap. as you say housing is different. BUT the probability of destroying that actuator is very high and they are pretty weak. imo id go with an air locker specially for the front.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They weld some flat around the actuator so it is protected pretty good.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my rear locker is stuffed and hasnt had a lot of use, my front ABR locker still works perfectly. Im replacing my rear with a ARB locker as im sick of how poorly the rear one locks in and releases. It works but not exceptionally well

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Factory rear lockers are actually a fantastic locker, and if treated properly will engage and disengage perfectly (not as quickly as an ARB as they only have 4 locking dogs, as opposed to the 30 or so an ARB has). Those who are knocking them obviously haven't seen the insides and how much stronger then an ARB they are when engaged. Only when they are mistreated will they start to flog out and you will start to have issues with them.

·
Registered
nissan
127 Posts
only thing i can think of would be using the original front spider gears into the rear locker assy. should be a straight swap. as you say housing is different. BUT the probability of destroying that actuator is very high and they are pretty weak. imo id go with an air locker specially for the front.
The front spider gears are a different size and the don't have the dog enguagment for the diff lock machined into the rear of them.

I've looked into doing this myself the only options i could come up with was either custom side gears in the dif or custom shafts.

I'm favouring custom shafts and cv's so i can make full use of the front locker.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
X2 Most Navara/Pathy rear are a 31 spline H233B Diff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts