Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at adding a snorkel to my new DX.

I like the factory snorkel, but I've heard horror stories about some factory mods (apparently the Land Rover Disco snorkel isn't waterproof) and rip-offs (the Nissan alloy bullbar is A$2,070).

Can anyone comment on the quality of teh Nissan factory snorkel? Any complaints?

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
My nissan snorkel is fine (came with the vehicle). Crossed many rivers no problem.

The only questionable part is the Nissan badge that is pot riveted in the side of the snorkel.

If I had to purchase one I'd probably by a Safari snorkel.

I could be wrong but I don't believe any snorkel comes with a guarantee thats states it's water proof.

Reactions: JaxGU

·
Registered
nissan
726 Posts
I've had both and think the factory one looks better but feel the safari is the best with its reversible head and better joins.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,957 Posts
Iv had both. . . . . safari one is best. nissan one worked fine tho, and looked better.

Ill buy a stainless one for My GUIV, haven't had one of those before.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Yagon, I fitted a genuine Nissan snorkel to my wife's Y61 2007 CRD a few weeks back. It seals up air tight because when you join the intermediate tube to the snorkel body and air cleaner adaptor tube you apply a nice amount of urethane to these joins. The air cleaner adaptor tube to air box required a bit more work but with a rubber gasket and more urethane its air tight.
In short it does'nt matter what snorkel you use it's the fitting that makes it water proof, I also have a safari snorkel fitted to my ute but I feel the air flow is restrictive , and reversing the head is only for keeping mud flicked up from your tyres out, fit a sock if thats your thing.
My advice you want a real snorkel look at a 4" stainless steel millweld, thats what i'll be looking at next time i'm back in victoria.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts