Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share a few pics of my td42. It had a slight tick driving from karratha to perth. Assumed it was the tappets. Checked oil and got diesel about 200km from perth.
320k on the clock with a big turbo, 12mm etc.

Number 6 bigend.
Engine builder tells me that the number 6 squirter was blocked and the piston or something got hot. Put 7 cracks in the head. Melted number 6 bearing.
Water temp never went past half. Started blowing alot of smoke about 50k from home.

New td42 being built now :)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
220 Posts
Bad news mate sorry to hear

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would the oil supply to the bearing fail?
Crank looked ok to me but im an electrician.
I lost around 7L of oil in 200km out the exhaust.
apparently I cooked the **** out of the engine but the temp gauge never moved off of half. Never lost coolant. Didnt lose power. Pyro has never been above 500.

Anyway new engine, been told to get injectors and pump checked and then back for a tune.

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Was it an NA TD42 or factory turbo originally?

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
crud in oil, too long between oil changes. Some of the oil gallerys are pretty small

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
180kw or something around there.
Almost made it to its 2nd oil change at 5,000km.
Doesnt really matter now. New engine shortly.
Driving a vdj79 til then. Not good for a tall person

·
Registered
nissan
336 Posts
Crank looked ok to me but im an electrician.
I lost around 7L of oil in 200km out the exhaust.
apparently I cooked the **** out of the engine but the temp gauge never moved off of half. Never lost coolant. Didnt lose power. Pyro has never been above 500.

Anyway new engine, been told to get injectors and pump checked and then back for a tune.
The tuning IS IN THE pump & injectors. If the mechanic who told you that can't do it then what exactly are they planning on tuning & why are they working on a diesel motor?

Also, its hard to diagnose why the bearing failed without having the whole motor in front of you. A failed motor will generally tell a story as you pull it apart. Only the person doing this can really tell & a dumb mechanic will often miss things & misdiagnose things.

I'd be getting a new mechanic if it were me. Sounds like the one you have is more interested in your wallet than your car.

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh. I meant send injectors and pump to ufi to get them checked. Then once its all back together I will take it back to ufi for a tune.

·
Registered
nissan
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting there now.
Everything machined up and ready to assemble. Just need to check piston protrusion and clearances. Top was decked.
Got a turbo oil pump and the cam ground at moores. Turbo grind.
Cant wait to have it running again and hopefully get past 176kw.

Found a decent scorpion under a td42 too

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,918 Posts
Out of curiosity, did they give you Spec card/sheet with the cam?

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
How much oil was left in when you got home?
What colour smoke was it blowing
Sounds like a turbo seal let go and you kept driving and ran out of oil

Just reread it
You lost 7 lts of oil in 200km's
Where did it go ? out the exhaust?
How? turbo **** itself?
You lost oil pressure and spun a bearing

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,037 Posts
Almost made it to its 2nd oil change at 5,000km.
Just wondering what this statement means.

You lost 7 lts of oil in 200km's
Where did it go ? out the exhaust?
How? turbo **** itself?
You lost oil pressure and spun a bearing
I'd have to agree with that. How do you put 7 litres out the exhaust in under 5000km without noticing some excessive smoke out the back? The only paths for oil to the exhaust are piston rings, valve stem seals and turbo seals. A failed head gasket or cracks in the head or block will also let oil out the exhaust but these issues present significant driveability problems which I expect would be noticed well before it went through 7 litres of oil.

I'm with 91shorty, the loss of oil has caused the engine damage, not the other way around.

Cheers,

·
Registered
132 Posts
Everything machined up and ready to assemble. Just need to check piston protrusion and clearances. Top was decked.
Top was decked?
Aren't the cylinder sleeves meant to be protruded above the deck for the gasket to work properly? About 0.20-0.30mm or something like that.

I know my old SD33T had to have.

Reactions: BULLBAR
1 - 20 of 29 Posts