Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Where are you.
WA has some great camping stores or I have a big superfast to put up tent that I am thinking of selling.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Also, what sort of use do you have in mind? For a standing camp I'd go a heavier tent - better rain resistance, doesn't turn into an oven at sunrise etc. - but for overnighters and weekends a lighter tent might be more practical. If you have a stout tarp set-up you can go with a lighter tent for most situations.

The Coleman 'Instant' tents seem ok if a lighter tent is the go:

Coleman - Pop Up Tent | Coleman Instant Tent | Pop Up Shower Tent - Instant Up

I have a Black Wolf Turbo 300 Plus, which is both quick to set-up and take down, and has fairly solid canvas. But well out of your pricerange, even used they go for $700-800.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,459 Posts
We originally bout a $120 kmart 8 man tent, but got it on special at $80.
For the price can't complain, did get a bit hot during summer but we only used it a handful of times due to wife not being a big camper.
I just got sick of poles etc so now am currently setting up a roof top tent of top of my old box trailer.

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
Our first tent was an Oztrail 6 man tent. Lasted us about two years then we upgraded to a camper trailer but in that two years it was probably used for about 6-8 weeks and still looks brand new. Still have it and it still very good for when I don't want to drag the camper. Think it was on special from BCF for $140. We have two kids and it was plenty enough room.
Oztrail Sunrise 6 - BCF

·
Registered
Nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think I'm going to look for canvas tent. It will do us for a while till we get a camper trailer

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,036 Posts
How big are your kids? We have a Cooper Tourer from Outdoor Connections which can fit two adults and two teenage kids OK and would be fine with three small kids. We have four kids who are all now grown and we never needed a larger tent however we got the kids into their own tents as soon as they were old enough. The cooper is 3.2x2.6m and has e ough room either side of the centre pole for a queen size air bed, however we found the tent more usable with two double size airbeds that gave a bit of usable floor space in the middle of the tent.

They are typically available for a out $500 delivered. To buy a better quality tent will require something like an Oztent, Freedom or Southern Cross, all of which will exceed your budget for the size you will need.

Cheers,

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I just bought a Companion EXO pro 430 (6 person) for $750 from Aussie Disposals who have 50% off them at the moment. They are the same as the black wolf turbo tents. The pro is a canvas and pvc floor, you can get a lite option which is a polyester tent (although not plastic like cheap tents) and polyethylene floor (like tarp materiel). They had the EXO lite 250 (4p) starting at $399 so if you could get the EXO lite 430 (6p)/480 (8p) it would fit more people in and I wouldn't imagine it would be more than your $500 budget.

Tents and Shelters , Exo Tents, Companion

·
Registered
Nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How big are your kids? We have a Cooper Tourer from Outdoor Connections which can fit two adults and two teenage kids OK and would be fine with three small kids. We have four kids who are all now grown and we never needed a larger tent however we got the kids into their own tents as soon as they were old enough. The cooper is 3.2x2.6m and has e ough room either side of the centre pole for a queen size air bed, however we found the tent more usable with two double size airbeds that gave a bit of usable floor space in the middle of the tent.

They are typically available for a out $500 delivered. To buy a better quality tent will require something like an Oztent, Freedom or Southern Cross, all of which will exceed your budget for the size you will need.

Cheers,
3 kids under 10 mate, I'm 6.4 and kids are tall for age. Looking for something big enough and decent to last 2yrs min. I also don't mind a tent that's a pain to set up as I would be set up for 3 days minimum.

·
Registered
Nissan
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just bought a Companion EXO pro 430 (6 person) for $750 from Aussie Disposals who have 50% off them at the moment. They are the same as the black wolf turbo tents. The pro is a canvas and pvc floor, you can get a lite option which is a polyester tent (although not plastic like cheap tents) and polyethylene floor (like tarp materiel). They had the EXO lite 250 (4p) starting at $399 so if you could get the EXO lite 430 (6p)/480 (8p) it would fit more people in and I wouldn't imagine it would be more than your $500 budget.

Tents and Shelters , Exo Tents, Companion
Cheers fella, I will have a look at that, sounds good

·
Registered
Nissan/GU
1,083 Posts
I also looked at those, I went the turbo style framed tent as I felt it would be more stable in windy conditions and it also came with a separate fly to keep some of the elements off.

If you go one of those make sure you get the side pole kit, the centre pole would annoy me.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm going to buy a second gazebo that's 6x3 so I can have awning section as we'll plus it's quicker to setup then my old 6 man dome tent. I believe you can also get vinyl to make it more waterproof. The gazebos are also useful on there own for day trips.

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
Had this for three years now, awesome, I'm 6ft and has heaps of headroom throughout, fits 2 double mattresses and a single with room to store stuff and walk through. also has a fly that you can get for it now but never leaked on us during rain without it. nice big screened windows for airflow too. 5 mins. to erect and pack up....

Amazon.com : Coleman 14x10 Foot 8 Person Instant Tent : Family Tents : Sports & Outdoors
what about in winter ? can u close it up ?
edit: is the fabric canvas ?

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
what about in winter ? can u close it up ?
edit: is the fabric canvas ?
yep all the windows/openings have mesh and W/proof doors/windows,not canvas but thick material as in description, had it up for a week during winter and rain/wind, very solid, in aus. you can only get the 14 x 8 ft, and about $600 here. this ones 14 x 10 ft. $260 delivered and there is an optional fly for $50. I got the 4 man (2.4 x 2.4 m) aswell for when I'm out on my own, best thing is you can stand up in the whole tent not just the middle. I'm real happy with them.. theres heaps of good reviews on the listing. :)

Reactions: Ron1n

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
We originally bout a $120 kmart 8 man tent, but got it on special at $80.
For the price can't complain, did get a bit hot during summer but we only used it a handful of times due to wife not being a big camper.
I just got sick of poles etc so now am currently setting up a roof top tent of top of my old box trailer.
We must have the same one. Goes great. We just put a quickshade over ours. Keeps it cool.

No better value for money around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts