Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Treasurer Wayne Swan disgusted by flood 'low lifes' | Latest news on the Queensland Floods | News.com.au

Now who didn't see this coming!! I for one was expecting this as they did exactly the same thing as when the Vic Bushfires where on.

People are oppurtunitists and the government knew this from last time. Why oh why did they facilitate this again??!!

I hope there is a reveiw of the actions of both State and Federal Governments and this exact issue gets raised so they can create a procedure of issueing natural disaster relief funds to the people that actually need and deserve it, not the scum bags that got disadvantaged by being without power for 2 days. If there is a storm event and Im without power for a WEEK I get nothing, why should they!!

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
My question is this... if you're withot power for a few days, your food goes off, why shouldn't you be compensated?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My question is this... if you're withot power for a few days, your food goes off, why shouldn't you be compensated?
Not at $1000 per adult and $400 per child. If you have a family of two adults and 3 children then you could claim $3200 for lost preishables :rolleyes:. There were probably more people that were without power only than there where genuine flood victims. The amount people claim just because they can, surely takes away from the amount left over to rebuild. I would love to see how many people go and buy a new TV when there house didn't even get effected by water.

I didn't claim compensation for lost time at work or fuel for driving when the bushfires came around. I know a family in an area that got hit by the Vic Bushfires, they didn't have insurance, they don't have full time jobs (they have the ability but don't see the point) and they didn't have too much. When their house burnt down they got everything they could, they now have a new Mercedes SUV and a Cruiser, new house which is bigger and better than before, they get schools stuff paid for, apprentiships lined up, food and health discounts, etc. Im all for helping people through the tough times but they are not helping themselves, they'll end up like our native friends that alot of them countinue to live off the system.

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
I could claim $1000, if I stretched the truth just a teensie weensie little bit, in fact, not even that much, but I am not going to. I dont need it that much.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
True, so it's society's problem. Not the gov'ts misjudgement. What else would you have them do there that wouldn't cost millions more to administer?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, so it's society's problem. Not the gov'ts misjudgement. What else would you have them do there that wouldn't cost millions more to administer?
I would rather them spend a one-off million or so to invest in a better system of confirming entitlement than them throwing millions every nature disaster. It would be more efficient for the government to improve their process than educate the public in entitlement and greed.

I believe it is a worthy investment, but as a lot of people can only think about preventing a natural occurance happening again, the government is pressured into spending the cash on preventitive measures. I know that it is hard to budget for funding of a program that is active at ad hoc intervals but it is just too inefficent for my liking. It could be as simple as following up claims with Centrelink audits or have an IT/GIS system that plots effected areas, types of effects and what funds should be avaliable for areas. So when a person makes a claim their address would confirm their elegibility and they could set different entitlement amounts or even types.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
So hard though, to design a system in a short timesframe that'd seriously work and be able to get the money to those who need it soon enough.

There will always bee scum who rort the system. THis is life unfortunately :(

We'll be back here in 30 or 40 years saying the same things, no doubt...

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Good idea.
Waste a couple of Million designing a system and pay more Government employees while those in need miss out on that extra couple of Million as well.
If your that bent on trying to fault the government, how about you get elected to Government and make some changes yourself - that is unless you prefer to sit on a keyboard and whinge about it.

BTW, those that defraud the system, usually get caught later down the track anyway - look at the bushfires.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Good idea.
If your that bent on trying to fault the government, how about you get elected to Government and make some changes yourself - that is unless you prefer to sit on a keyboard and whinge about it.
Why is it that some seem to think that when someone raises concerns about government performance, their only solution is to suggest that the complainant run for government, and do better? We'd have several million running for government just about all the time under that scenario. Or how about we carry that idea to those who complain about Nissan, why not go for a Nissan executive job, and do better? Or those who complain about banks, why not become a banking executive, and do better? And so on and so on...

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
The fact of the matter is that there'll always be opportunistic scumbags no matter what you do and where you go.

Just look at Centrelink. That's got so many undeserving leaches sucking on it that it needs a good flushing and restarting. I remember many many moons ago, a girl I was dating told me about another lass at their boarding school. This other girl came from a family who had one of those rare farms which was turning over a massive profit, yet she still qualified and was claiming centrelink.

It's crap that there are people who'll be claiming between $1k to I don't know $3.2k, but those are short-term money grabbers. And hopefully, as davway mentions, the ones that rort the system get caught a bit down the track.

I reckon it's better that they're offering assistance and having some lowlifes take the piss, as opposed to no help at all.
Though I'm curious as to what help was given to Carnarvon in the end.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
Why is it that some seem to think that when someone raises concerns about government performance, their only solution is to suggest that the complainant run for government, and do better? We'd have several million running for government just about all the time under that scenario. Or how about we carry that idea to those who complain about Nissan, why not go for a Nissan executive job, and do better? Or those who complain about banks, why not become a banking executive, and do better? And so on and so on...

Cheers

Ray
Well said Ray. But you're coming close there to defending the labor gov't ;)

Despite who's doing what, atleast there is a handout for those who need it.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The system wouldn't be built for each event, I just want a standard operating procedure that can ensuresome fairness.

BTW, I would love to get into government, but I am more passionate about otherthings and would prefer to persue them. If I could be a hobby poli, I would jump on the oppurtunity, my goal in life IS to make a difference.

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Well said Ray. But you're coming close there to defending the labor gov't ;)
It's a good thing that a miss is as good as a mile. :D

Despite who's doing what, atleast there is a handout for those who need it.
I don't particularly like the word handout (it has some awful connotations) and I think that's where so much of the angst/anger is originating from, especially when hard working families, not affected by the floods, have donated willingly and now find themselves being double-dipped and the system rorted (once again).

Cheers

Ray

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't particularly like the word handout (it has some awful connotations) and I think that's where so much of the angst/anger is originating from, especially when hard working families, not affected by the floods, have donated willingly and now find themselves being double-dipped and the system rorted (once again).

Cheers

Ray
You have once again summed it up well there Ray!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think an important point here is that the the Govt allowed people to claim because they had no power. It was one of the reasons why you could claim. Swan is a knobjockey. His Governemnt allowed people to claim and now he calls them scumbags. No-one who was without power, as per the criteria, who has made a claim has done anything wrong. Who on here said they didn't want the stimulus package money for their families a couple of years ago. That's right, no-one.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think an important point here is that the the Govt allowed people to claim because they had no power. It was one of the reasons why you could claim. Swan is a knobjockey. His Governemnt allowed people to claim and now he calls them scumbags. No-one who was without power, as per the criteria, who has made a claim has done anything wrong. Who on here said they didn't want the stimulus package money for their families a couple of years ago. That's right, no-one.
I for one thought the stimulus handout was BS and shouldn't of happened.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
It's a good thing that a miss is as good as a mile. :D

Cheers

Ray
Think of it like a space telescope plunging into the vacuum... The goal is to reach saturn. However, you pass jus a little TOO close to Jupiter. Is this good as a miss? What'll happen is your course is irreparably altered and you are jettisoned out on a long treck to the galaxy Jonas -1 alpha 453!

What I'm saying, Ray, is careful. You'll end up a GREEN!

BWA HAHAHAHA!!!

·
It's all good
nissan patrol
4,206 Posts
I could claim $1000, if I stretched the truth just a teensie weensie little bit, in fact, not even that much, but I am not going to. I dont need it that much.
X 2 , I was prevented from going home for 3 days due to work so i could of claimed the $1000 in flood relief and in doing so would of eliminated me from having to pay the extra medicare levy but i didn't and won't , i know of others who have claimed it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts