Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
They're 2 different things. TC lockup activates a clutch in the torque converter and manual control of the gear changes removes the automatic gear change function of the trans.

Your thread title mentions 'plug and play' which suggests something like the Shiftkits plug in module which replaces the factory TCU. I think that module has the lockup function included but will require a switch somewhere. I believe it has the advantage of unlocking the lockup before a gear change and relocking after the change. You'll need to research it a bit.
The other full manual option, which isn't really recommended for normal road use, involves changing the valve body and getting rid of the electronics.

Personally, I've found I spend most of my driving time between 3 and 4 and the button on my shifter is adequate for that especially when towing. I rarely use my TC lockup in normal everyday driving but find it invaluable for controlling trans temps when towing.

If you take a look in @patrol97 thread with his Cummins conversion you'll see that he has had the lockup clutch removed from his modified low stall TC.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool will check it out.
correct, I was looking at the shiftKit. I often drive mine “as a manual” selecting each of the gears not just OD on and off.
I need it to stay locked up more when towing my 1800kg trailer on undulating roads like into 1770, the TC just keeps unlocking. Can’t get my hands on a J6 so locking the RE4 seems the best option.

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
I mainly let my trans temps dictate when to manually lock the TC but keep an eye on EGTs that can rise rapidly under load.
I have an LED in the pillar pod that tells me when the TCU has done the lockup and will manually switch it on to avoid the lock/unlock that happens with minor TPS changes just to avoid unnecessary wear.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In regards to the auto, the only mods that have been done so far is the line resistor mod and auto temp gauge. I rarely see temps over 70. The constant locking/unlocking drives me nuts, it only has only done 140,000km, and I dropped back from 33’s to 32’s last year, so less strain.

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
The manual TC lockup mod is an easy job if you’re capable with wiring and use the Jaycar frequency switch.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The manual TC lockup mod is an easy job if you’re capable with wiring and use the Jaycar frequency switch.
I’ve seen Chas’s schematic but prefer the idea of having it set up so it can only lock at a certain speed. I’ve got the project number for the frequency switch. I’ll have to write up a parts list. Thanks for the feedback. The soldering will be fine, I can do 0402SMD’s, more so worried I’ll misread the schematic and blow the auto up…

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
I’ve seen Chas’s schematic but prefer the idea of having it set up so it can only lock at a certain speed. I’ve got the project number for the frequency switch. I’ll have to write up a parts list. Thanks for the feedback. The soldering will be fine, I can do 0402SMD’s, more so worried I’ll misread the schematic and blow the auto up…
The original frequency switch idea that I did required a kit to be soldered together but you can now buy the unit ready made from Jaycar. Then it’s just a question of splicing into the vehicle speed wire to get the signal and adjusting it to switch on at your chosen speed.
Just to be clear, it doesn’t activate the lockup at the chosen speed, it simply makes power available so you can then use the lockup button.
I’ve posted the frequency switch schema several times on the forum.

The advantages of the frequency switch are that you can never stall with the TC locked and it won’t cut out each time you touch the brakes. Also means you no longer need the Park & Neutral safety wiring/relay.

Output device Font Gadget Screenshot Electronic device

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The original frequency switch idea that I did required a kit to be soldered together but you can now buy the unit ready made from Jaycar. Then it’s just a question of splicing into the vehicle speed wire to get the signal and adjusting it to switch on at your chosen speed.
Just to be clear, it doesn’t activate the lockup at the chosen speed, it simply makes power available so you can then use the lockup button.
I’ve posted the frequency switch schema several times on the forum.

The advantages of the frequency switch are that you can never stall with the TC locked and it won’t cut out each time you touch the brakes. Also means you no longer need the Park & Neutral safety wiring/relay.

View attachment 544515
Brilliant! Thank you! I thought that’s what the module did, much better imo. Is there a complete schematic for the new style with the frequency module?

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
Brilliant! Thank you! I thought that’s what the module did, much better imo. Is there a complete schematic for the new style with the frequency module?
It should be pretty much the same as the kit except the kit had a pot on the PC board that needed to be adjusted for the road speed choice.
The relays required will be the same and, where I use the rear demister button as a momentary switch in the diagram, you choose what you prefer as momentary switch to activate the lockup and indicator light to tell you it’s armed i.e. you have reached the chosen speed. You also choose if you want to add the flashing LED that I use.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,180 Posts
Why do you often drive it manually???? I prefer my auto to work as an auto most of the time, with manual gear selection useful occasionally. And then I use it to select a specific gear, rather than use it to change gear, if that makes sense.

So, if you find it does not change gear when you want it to, then being able to change that is what the Shiftkits or Compushift TCU would do. Set it up exactly how you want it - fixed. You can even have two or more tuning files saved, with slight variations, and then just use the one that suit the conditions, eg towing or not towing. One of our members does this with his RE4 and Compushift.

Also the TCC lockup functions can be changed to what you like, with the KMH variable for locking and unlocking, the differential between the two can be changed, and also throttle position for unlock can be altered as well. With these variable to be programmed as you wish, you may find you have no need for a manual lockup switch. I have a manual switch and have never used it, as the Compushift allows me to set it where I want it.

I am quite familiar with the Compushift, and not the Shiftkits TCU, so there will be some differences in how they work.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why do you often drive it manually???? I prefer my auto to work as an auto most of the time, with manual gear selection useful occasionally. And then I use it to select a specific gear, rather than use it to change gear, if that makes sense.

So, if you find it does not change gear when you want it to, then being able to change that is what the Shiftkits or Compushift TCU would do. Set it up exactly how you want it - fixed. You can even have two or more tuning files saved, with slight variations, and then just use the one that suit the conditions, eg towing or not towing. One of our members does this with his RE4 and Compushift.

Also the TCC lockup functions can be changed to what you like, with the KMH variable for locking and unlocking, the differential between the two can be changed, and also throttle position for unlock can be altered as well. With these variable to be programmed as you wish, you may find you have no need for a manual lockup switch. I have a manual switch and have never used it, as the Compushift allows me to set it where I want it.

I am quite familiar with the Compushift, and not the Shiftkits TCU, so there will be some differences in how they work.
Hmmm very interesting feedback.
I prefer how it drives when locked into each gear. Do you have a link for the unit you use? Sounds like a very viable option

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
If you have a spare $2k to spend on a Compushift, with all the accompanying hassle to set it up without hurting your trans, I think you’d be much better off with a good valve body and a $100 manual TC lockup that you can activate, or not, whenever it suits the particular driving situation.
I got the impression from the Compushift related thread that the software is not yet completely sorted for some specific requirements.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
6,180 Posts
Hmmm very interesting feedback.
I prefer how it drives when locked into each gear. Do you have a link for the unit you use? Sounds like a very viable option
The Compushift is made by Wholesale Automatics. The comment made above about some issues not yet being resolved will not effect you, as the RE4 is not capable of using the controls that are under development. These are related to the RE5, which is not as well developed as the RE4 which has been available for much longer. If you do some searching on here, you will find our members that have them for the RE4. Perhaps they may chime in to this discussion in due course.

Stand Alone COMPUSHIFT Automatic Transmission Controllers | Wholesale Automatics

You prefer how it drives when locked into each gear??? I assume you do not mean the converter is locked, but rather it stays in the gear you select. I think that indicates that the shifts are not happening when you want them. In a custom installation, a programmable TCU is very useful, and in some instances a necessity. In my own instance without one the gearbox cannot be controlled in any other manner as there is no factory standalone TCU. But in your case, you have a TCU that is designed for your engine and gearbox combo.

So that suggests that any differences you may program in would be fine tuning rather than major alterations. As an example, my RE5 came from a petrol engine that would likely change gear around 5000rpm under full throttle. It is now bolted to a TD42 that changes gear at 3800rpm. You can imagine how useful petrol engine settings are in that situation! Having tested something similar, I can tell you it just didn't change gear.

The programmable TCU is very useful in some situations. Set the gearchanges where you want, set the lock up clutch where you want, and have separate tuning files to use if the situation warrants it. But this does come at a cost, so only you can decide if that expense is warranted.

·
Registered
nissan
5,813 Posts
Looking a bit more tells me that Rodney is an employee of HGM - Director of Marketing. Hmm, that explains why Compushifts are better than modified valve bodies. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts