Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

Registered
2001 GU ST TD42t coil cab (gold)
Discussion Starter #1
Having owned my ute now for 4 months, I've finally got time to do a little tidy up and start making changes to suit my tastes better.
This is how it started when I picked it up:

It's an 01 ST 4.2 with 400k on the clock, it was the only way I could really afford and justify one at this point in time. It is/was however pretty much unmolested, only having a factory ally bar, some Goodyear A/T's on stock steels and a dash mount UHF. Was running higher boost with a boost T but still had the factory exhaust.

First thing I did was cobble up a 2.5" exhaust system from bits of the old factory system that I upgraded on my Jeep. It is mandrel bent and obviously better than the stock Patrol item even though it is not perfect. At least made a reasonable difference and will do till I can get around to making a 3" stainless system.

Then I decided to do the dump pipe now as I had to make provision for the EGT probe. So it's all ready for the 3".

Most of my dash lights were out except the actual instrument cluster, so I did the obligatory blue LED conversion. Nothing new I know but the blue really is nice on the eyes and something we liked in a previous car.

Have done all the switches as well, just haven't done the odometer and clock. Not sure if the blue will allow the numerals to show properly or if white will be too bright.
Nice mod I did do was mount a T5 socket in the flat between the original cup holders and then shave the bottom of the divider out of the extended cup holder so I now have blue illumination in the bottom of the cup holders so I can sight them better at night as I didn't find the cup holders fall readily to hand without looking at them.

Got the 3 gauge "A" pillar pod installed too with some Autometer Cobalt gauges, boost, pyro, and water temp.

Big job for now is a decent looking tray. The original was sound and functional but I didn't like the style, or the timber floor and I didn't really have a need for the canopy. I also don't like soft canopies so when time permits I'll build a steel one. Moreso if I can get enough for the old tray and canopy set up to cover the build of the new tray and materials for a canopy I'll get into building one.

Some progress shots of the new tray. Still got the floor, headboard and rear light panel to do but trying to get all the bits in I can think of now while the floor is not on. This also has me thinking now is perfect time to do exhaust without floor even though I don't really have time just now.

http://s391.photobucket.com/user/fester2au/media/20150608_160718_zpst18ptdc4.jpg.html

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
Lights are some of those round LED's in the rubber grommets. Number plate is recessed and will have these little lights in the underside of the top edge of the recess.
http://s391.photobucket.com/user/fester2au/media/20150605_062751_zpsntp890ev.jpg.html

The only thing I'm not totally happy with at the moment is the width of the side of the rear panel. Not sure I like it but it needs to be around this width to clear the cross rail which is dictated by clearance for the lights. I also can't move the dimple die hole as it has to sit over the cross rail. When I drew it up it looked OK but in the flesh I'm not so sure. I've done the numbers and with a fair bit of mucking around the best I could shorten it is 35mm which I don't think will make enough difference.
http://s391.photobucket.com/user/fester2au/media/20150608_160548_zpsra0yx0cy.jpg.html
In this pic it's not sitting in place, it is flush at the back and tight under the side rail like the other covers. Here's hoping once painted it will blend in better.

Still gotta work out the brackets for the air tank, mount a battery box under the passenger side rail and some brackets for water tank for later. And the twin headboard bows if I can sort out some decent bends. At this stage I'm gunna buy bends and cut and shut cause I can't find anyone who can bend 50nb properly.

Oh and those wheels are a new addition with some really good second hand 305/70x16 M/T ATZ P3's

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well put in a decent weekend this weekend. Desperately needed to fix the exhaust. I had cobbled up a 2.5" system out of my old standard Jeep bits saved from when I did a 3" on that. it was a step up from the stock system. However the other week when I put in the 3" dump I noticed the old Jeep flex was falling apart, so time for a new stainless 3". Especially now before I put a floor on the tray with access so easy.

Drew up some flanges a while ago in preparation and got some nice 4 bolt 3" stainless flanges. So time to build a muffler. Didn't want it too quiet just really wanted to knock the edge off an unmuffled system for better highway cruising. I found the unmuffled 3" on my Cruiser annoying when towing on the highway.

So these bits were combined

To make this:

The perf tube was all I had around at work and has a 6mm hole, it's packed with stainless scouring pads. The 6" tube I had pirated away from left overs from a big abattoir job we did a few years ago. Total cost $21.13.

So on to the main task. 5 90 degree elbows and the remains of part of one left over form the Jeep and a couple of metres of tube become this:

All that's left to do is polish the welds up (ran out of time today) and weld in a flex when it turns up this week. Ordered it off Ebay the other day but the fools stuffed up orders and sent me a weld in pyro fitting.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Stepping back a little I also changed the rear panel or more particularly the sides of the rear panel, to narrow them up and better match them to the rest of the side bits. Bit of clearancing here and there and moving the rear floor support back allowed the sides to be reduced and match. Lot of cutting and shutting the ends but came out nice and flat so happy. Lights working well but I questioning whether the number plate lights are too bright, might have to put a couple of resistors in to dull them and add the other 2 I had in case they were too dull.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, neither can I. It's bloody useless as it is now. I've been waiting over a month now for Blackwoods to get me the bends and pipe I wanted for the headboard bows. Eventually got me 3 of the 4 bends I needed but nothing on the 4th. Never follow up of keep me up to date. Spat the pill on Monday to the manager and low and behold the 4th turned up yesterday afternoon. So hopefully I can get it finished soon.

In the meantime I've plugged away on a couple of small things.

Illuminated cups holders so I can pick up easier at night. Don't photo well unfortunately but works brilliantly.

I could never put them to hand easily without a decent look, now just a minor glance.

Dual battery tray:

Air tank, with all the bits at hand I couldn't see the point in paying for one:

Just gotta work out what compressor so I can work out where to mount it. Would love one of those big Boss suckers but can't really justify the price tag.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Years ago I looked at them but seemed to much effort to retain air con so never really looked again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Slowly plugging away:

Fingers crossed if I can keep out of the wife's grip tomorrow I might even have a floor in finally. After waiting over a month for the clowns at Blackwoods to get my pipe bends in for me, they were ****e and I didn't use them. Should have just used the 2.5" bends when I was originally thinking of using them and I'd have a fully functioning tray by now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Ahh, well yeah...but decided I didn't really like it so I'm not using it now. Got a Fairline one coming instead.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16

Thanks Boosted, I'll just be happy to be able to use it. Would have been ages ago if it wasn't for the stuffing around with the hoops. Couldn't afford to get them bent when I need 3. Should have just made them when I first tossed it up, we had the bends on the shelf. The pretty bits chew up some time too.

Headboard design is finished now so the floor can go on this week sometime. Might still weld another taper panel into it though to break it up into 2 recesses but that can happen anytime.

That's the idea behind the Fairline scoop too. I did prefer the Colorado for it's look like you but the time needed to set it up right I don't really have. I've got so many things to get done and the Fairline is very straight forward with it's template and the fact we have done one before.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so I finally have a useable tray. Not painted yet as I have other fab work that is more important and unfortunately with my budget I'll be painting it myself, so it'll be a way off yet but at least I can use it as a ute again. :)

Still gotta do something to bolt the spare down, I deliberately took it out from underneath as with the shorter tray I didn't want to have to lift it up to high to fit the spare and then have it at a stupid working height. Also got to do a bolt in rear hoop for carrying long stuff and in case I decide to cheat out and just set up a roof top tent for camping. Intention is to do a proper canopy but not sure if I'll make the effort as I don't really expect to camp all that often as the wife is over it so I'll be solo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Impressive work on the tray. Looks really good.
Thanks man, I'll be even happier when I can finally get some paint on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Put a set of the ARB Deluxe Protection steps on the ute this weekend. I've always liked them after seeing a set on a mate's Cruiser years ago before anything else was really available. I was going to make a set of slider/steps but these came up cheap and I figured they would save a lot of time. Needed a bit of a tidy up as they came off a wrecked Patrol and had been neglected and copped a couple of hits.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts