Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Howd your warranty claim go
Oh yeah, the alternator warranty claim...
I contacted Auto8 and got the return details. so sent it back registered post so I'd know they got it. A month or two later out of the blue a new alternator turned up from them, so I put it on the shelf for when my $120 replacement died.
I didn't have to wait long, it sprung an oil leak after a couple of months so I swapped in the replacement that Auto8 had sent.
Then all was well for a year or so, until around two months ago. The first sign of trouble was the air bag warning light flashing for a few seconds, which confused me a bit. It happened again a day or two later, and I noticed the voltmeter reading 16-18v for a few seconds.
It happened again the next day on my way to work, but being pre-dawn I had my lights on - so instantly blew both the low beam filaments in my headlights :mad:

I'd had enough of ebay alternators so ordered a Bosch unit (and new headlight globes too).
When I tore down the 'old' alternator I got a bit of a surprise - one of the brushes had destroyed the slip ring and filled everything with copper swarf. The other slip ring looked pretty chewed up for an almost-new alternator, but that's probably due to chunks of copper from the other slip ring getting stuck under the brush.

I didn't bother with a warranty claim on this one. Even if they did replace it, I won't be installing another one of these garbage ebay alternators again.

·
Registered
nissan
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
After socially distancing for months, I finally got a chance to get away the other weekend. The poor GU was getting a bit smokey, only being used for short school runs a couple times a week since March - so a weekend away down to the snowy mountains will blow the cobwebs (and carbon) out.
9 months ago when I started working from home I took the opportunity to catch up on a bit of maintenance, including changing all the fluids. The gearbox oil looked fine, no red rusty stain and no surprises stuck to the drain plug. That was reassuring, but being an '01 vintage I've never towed in 5th gear.

So back to my recent weekend away... I'm heading down the Hume somewhere around Yass, cruise control set to 110 when out of nowhere there's a loud bang and a puff of smoke, followed by a god-awful metallic noise and loss of drive.
I quickly pulled over and went to shut off the engine, but it sounded fine idling. So I poked around under the car but couldn't see any signs of trouble. Eventually I gingerly drove off, and everything seemed ok. So I got back up to speed, but as soon as I tried to shift into 5th I knew what the problem was :(
So the remaining 600 km of the trip was done in 4th.
The combination of 315s and 4.3 diffs meant that 105 was still quite comfortable in 4th, and I actually got slightly better fuel economy - but that might have had more to do with knocking a few km/h off than being in 4th...

When I got home I drained the gearbox - my less-than-1500km-old oil was reddish brown, and this was stuck to the drain plug:

After changing the oil the gearbox still sounds pretty scary, reverse sounds like shaking a can of nails and neutral isn't much better. I weighed up my options, and have bought a new TD42 box from Ferntree Gully Nissan. The cost wasn't that much more than getting mine reconditioned.
305k kms out of an '01 gearbox isn't too bad, it outlived plenty of others...

·
Registered
nissan
839 Posts
I think from 2003 they had the upgraded 5th gear. Hopefully the new one will have it.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
I think from 2003 they had the upgraded 5th gear. Hopefully the new one will have it.
June/july 2002, of course that is manufacturing date so there would still be stock on hand at many dealers.

@festy normally several gearbox oil changes prior to the blowup will have a red stain in the last few drops, been there, done that, stripped 5th gear at 100k and drove home in 4th like you did.

·
Registered
nissan
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
The dates I came across searching the forum for when Nissan fixed the issue ranged from mid 2002 to early 2004, and yes the new box has the upgraded gear and shaft - it'd be seriously old stock if it didn't :LOL:

@festy normally several gearbox oil changes prior to the blowup will have a red stain in the last few drops, been there, done that, stripped 5th gear at 100k and drove home in 4th like you did.
That's what kind of surprised me, I changed the gearbox oil a couple of months ago and it showed no hint of a red stain (I was specifically looking for warning signs) - then less than 1500km later the oil was red and crunchy. Maybe I just didn't look close enough.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
The dates I came across searching the forum for when Nissan fixed the issue ranged from mid 2002 to early 2004, and yes the new box has the upgraded gear and shaft - it'd be seriously old stock if it didn't :LOL:

That's what kind of surprised me, I changed the gearbox oil a couple of months ago and it showed no hint of a red stain (I was specifically looking for warning signs) - then less than 1500km later the oil was red and crunchy. Maybe I just didn't look close enough.
Well and trully fixed before 2004 lol.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
The new gearbox is in. Its a fair bit quieter than the old box, and shifts nicely too.
Being a TD42T box, I think it has a slightly lower 1st and higher 5th ratio - not a lot of difference, but 5th is noticeable.
It also doesn't have a spot for fitting the neutral(?) position switch, not that I need it.

141 - 149 of 149 Posts