Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill keep it simple

1. Everytime i crack no.3 injector and then tighten it,the engine knocks for a bit. others dont do it,problem?????

2. The handbrake light on the dash doesnt go out when you take the handbrake is off,it just goes duller,only started doing it today.thinking it could be the brake fluid level sensor,plenty fluid in it. if its not that,any ideas on what it could be if not the sensor?

3. I have been hammering hard near the back of the car and twice now,after giving a big hit,it sounds like a pump starts running,sounds exactly like a fuel pump in the tank. i cant find anything on the fuel lines,is there a pump in the tank to help fuel to the front???

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
1: yes, big problem, stop cracking number 3 injector.
2: fluid level, sometimes the widget is sticky. if not check you haven crushed the single insulated wire going to the switch on the handbrake. it's rather poorly protected under the centre console etc.
3: shouldn't be... its not a weird sucking noise from the breather or anything? maybe someone has added one to it. pull the back carpet. remove the round inspection plate and check out to see if theres anything unusual like extra wires going in the fuel pickup/sender plate.

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
My thoughts :
1) You could have a sticky injector, it's taking a few injection cycles to clear ?
2) Also check the vac sensor (located by the 2nd battery tray), this connects into the h/b warning light circuit as well as the low fluid level and h/b switch. Just unplug each to see which is giving the problems. Another possibility is a failing alternator as this w/l connects to the alt warning light circuit as a check system. Eliminate the switches first.
3) No in-tank pump fitted as standard for the diesel from what I know. It could be an after market thing or you might even have a diesel conversion - was a petrol in it's early life ?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers.iv only cracked the injectors twice,once after i did a service. and today chasing a noise i suspect is a gudgeon pin knock at about 2000rpm. both times i crack the injector and tighten it,it knocks for about 6 sec's then goes away.

i dont think my rig has a vac warning sensor on it Tom.

im not sure if its been converted. i think its factory,the bloke would of said something i think,and in the original manual TD42 is circled..

the alternator has stopped charging all together,im guessing that is the problem then

·
4,415 Posts
That old gudgeon pin knock at 2000rpm problem - it's probably a characteristic knock, many do it if not all.

To check if it is the alt giving the warning light problem, unplug it, the light should then go out.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok will do.

could you please give me more info or a link with some info about this gudgeon knock tom,im starting to get nervous about it. but if a few do it then im not as worried,it has done some k's so noises would be expected i suppose.

·
4,415 Posts
Hi Oilrig, have a search around for characteristic rattle, knock, clacking noise, there's been a few threads on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts