Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Giddy guys and girls. I'm forwarding this message on behalf of my dad in nz with a zd30 pathfinder. Cheers folks. What are you thoughts on the temps and psi etc.
Regards Paul.

Hi Paul
Cld you post this info on forum for me Thanks dad

----- Original Message -----
Hi Darren,
My name is Ian from NZ.We have just purchased from the states a Dawes-Device,not many people know of these out here,but pleased to say all is going well with it.
I have fitted to a nissan terrano 1999. Have set boost at 15psi up tp 3000rpm and over, at 18psi. Just like to ask about the engine temp,this is running at 300-400 at 100kph , when i really floor it temp rises to around 600 ,but normally around 500-550 going up steep grade,around town 300, is this ok?
No spiking ,nice even reading on digital gauge. Just be great to know temp boundary.
Many Thanks
Regards,
Ian
Ps Would like to eventually install control knob inside cab of car ,do you sell these kits?.

To: Nicky Mistry
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2015 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: Dawes -Devices

Hi Ian,
Thanks for being a Dawes Devices customer! I think your temps are OK, based on what we know about the Nissan engines. However, we don't actually have this engine in the states and so, I'd suggest posing the question to the folks on the Patrol 4x4 forum:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/
These guys (and gals) are the real pros on the diesel Patrols and will be happy to provide input to your questions. Tell them I sent you, or not, they will treat you well either way.
If you are looking to add a in-cab control, we offer a few solutions. A needle valve will help to adjust the rate-of-rise, or you can go to a dual stage system to switch between an on and off road setting. All Patrol-compatible products are listed here:
http://dawes-devices.com/collections/nissan-patrol

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Darren Dawes
3 Bar Racing Inc.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,133 Posts
You would do better Paul if this was posted in the (zd30 di section).

Temps sound a tad high cruising at 100kph, but wouldnt say excessive.

Geeyoutoo or Motomuzz, would be the guy's to talk to.;)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Giddy guys and girls. I'm forwarding this message on behalf of my dad in nz with a zd30 pathfinder. Cheers folks. What are you thoughts on the temps and psi etc.
Regards Paul.

Hi Paul
Cld you post this info on forum for me Thanks dad

----- Original Message -----
Hi Darren,
My name is Ian from NZ.We have just purchased from the states a Dawes-Device,not many people know of these out here,but pleased to say all is going well with it.
I have fitted to a nissan terrano 1999. Have set boost at 15psi up tp 3000rpm and over, at 18psi. Just like to ask about the engine temp,this is running at 300-400 at 100kph , when i really floor it temp rises to around 600 ,but normally around 500-550 going up steep grade,around town 300, is this ok?
No spiking ,nice even reading on digital gauge. Just be great to know temp boundary.
Many Thanks
Regards,
Ian
Ps Would like to eventually install control knob inside cab of car ,do you sell these kits?.

To: Nicky Mistry
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2015 12:47 PM
Subject: Re: Dawes -Devices

Hi Ian,
Thanks for being a Dawes Devices customer! I think your temps are OK, based on what we know about the Nissan engines. However, we don't actually have this engine in the states and so, I'd suggest posing the question to the folks on the Patrol 4x4 forum:
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/
These guys (and gals) are the real pros on the diesel Patrols and will be happy to provide input to your questions. Tell them I sent you, or not, they will treat you well either way.
If you are looking to add a in-cab control, we offer a few solutions. A needle valve will help to adjust the rate-of-rise, or you can go to a dual stage system to switch between an on and off road setting. All Patrol-compatible products are listed here:
Nissan Patrol | Dawes Devices by 3 Bar Racing Inc.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Darren Dawes
3 Bar Racing Inc.
Hi Mate, Darren is a friend of mine we are in contact very often. I will move this to the ZD30 DI section.

At the top of the page in that section is the ZD30DI archives, which is full of info on them and specifically what we refer to as NADS (Nissan Anti Detonation System :).) of which the Dawes and needle is a major part of, I will put up a link that your old man will be able to click on and read from NZ.

Just a few basics, we recommend using 550C as a working maximum, you can go over but we would not recommend staying there for a long time. Obviously he is not experiencing limp which can be a problem with the ECU when running high boost, if he's running 18psi he doing well. Does his particular engine have an intercooler? if so is it internally clean, this can cause EGT to be up a bit when after long periods of time the engine blowby from the breather coats the internal walls of the intercooler reducing the effectiveness.

He mentions a needle valve, we use the needle valve to reduce turbo spoolup rate which can often cause limp, it will marginally reduce max boost but mainly slows the turbo response, so fitting a needle will have no positive effect on your fathers EGT's.

OK here's one link to read, it is mainly about our early DI's but your engine is much the same so background info could help his understanding, also check out other info in the DI archives. I'm not in any way suggesting he needs to any of this, it is just purely an information excercise on the basics of the particular engine. Hope this helps.

Link to one article in the archives:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30...di-heres-nads-installation-steps-logic-88214/

Link to Archives Generally:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/zd30...w-old-members-data-mods-maint-gen-info-88462/

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help guys, my father and I are very appreciative of all you time. The pathfinder has a front mount intercooler, it's a brand new one. Dad called me today to tell me he hit limp mode again, he mentioned about the dawes valve spring loosing and bouncing casing a spike to 22psi, which made it hit limp, first time since we turned vnt back and installed dawes valve, any thoughts??. Also, what is the proper working voltage for the maf sensor, do we need to adjust vnt screw to lower this voltage if it's to high??.I'm slowly reading through all your info you sent, awesome stuff, Australians are the only people we know who are experienced in the zd30, literally everyone dad gas spoken to in nz tells him to leave the shop "don't want to know about your zd30". I can understand why. Cheers blokes.

Paul.
Perth

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys, my father and I are very appreciative of all you time. The pathfinder has a front mount intercooler, it's a brand new one. Dad called me today to tell me he hit limp mode again, he mentioned about the dawes valve spring loosing and bouncing casing a spike to 22psi, which made it hit limp, first time since we turned vnt back and installed dawes valve, any thoughts??. Also, what is the proper working voltage for the maf sensor, do we need to adjust vnt screw to lower this voltage if it's to high??.I'm slowly reading through all your info you sent, awesome stuff, Australians are the only people we know who are experienced in the zd30, literally everyone dad gas spoken to in nz tells him to leave the shop "don't want to know about your zd30". I can understand why. Cheers blokes.

Paul.
Perth
For limp to occur a condition has to exist for several seconds so I would be surprised if just a spike caused limp as they are usually over in a flash. What exactly do you mean by the Dawes valve spring loosening?

The MAF sensor is a 0-5v sensor, you can test it with a multimeter, if you look in post #14 in the archives there is a link to How to test all mafs at home, could be handy for you.

Mate, even here in Oz the average mechanic has no idea about the ZD30 engine, we hear a lot of funny stories on advice given sometimes.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For limp to occur a condition has to exist for several seconds so I would be surprised if just a spike caused limp as they are usually over in a flash. What exactly do you mean by the Dawes valve spring loosening?

The MAF sensor is a 0-5v sensor, you can test it with a multimeter, if you look in post #14 in the archives there is a link to How to test all mafs at home, could be handy for you.

Mate, even here in Oz the average mechanic has no idea about the ZD30 engine, we hear a lot of funny stories on advice given sometimes.
Hey mate, that's good to hear about the spike causing limp, in regards to the dawes valve spring, I just found you on YouTube, I understand now, I think maybe we should get that heavy duty spring, also, going to recommend to dad to invest in a good catch can, His one was not properly made, oil is leaking from intercooler, front mount on pathfinders, apart from that your YouTube video about the dawes valve is valuable.

Paul

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Hey mate, that's good to hear about the spike causing limp, in regards to the dawes valve spring, I just found you on YouTube, I understand now, I think maybe we should get that heavy duty spring, also, going to recommend to dad to invest in a good catch can, His one was not properly made, oil is leaking from intercooler, front mount on pathfinders, apart from that your YouTube video about the dawes valve is valuable.

Paul
I have a couple of spare HD springs Darren sent me a little while back, if you want one it will only cost you postage, PM me if your interested.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morning geeyoutoo, dad bought the hybrid dawes valve system system, does this particular model need a new spring?, if so I'll get you some money for posting it to Perth and I'll forward it to dad in nz. Dad is going to check maf voltage for over voltage causing limp mode. Is this a problem that is worth spending money checking this..?. Apart from this everything is fine, sometimes when he boots the accelerator hard it can cause a spike and has caused a limp mode, it's mainly when going up big Hills on corners etc. I hope I'm not bothering you to much with simple problems. Thanks my friend.

Paul

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Morning geeyoutoo, dad bought the hybrid dawes valve system system, does this particular model need a new spring?, if so I'll get you some money for posting it to Perth and I'll forward it to dad in nz. Dad is going to check maf voltage for over voltage causing limp mode. Is this a problem that is worth spending money checking this..?. Apart from this everything is fine, sometimes when he boots the accelerator hard it can cause a spike and has caused a limp mode, it's mainly when going up big Hills on corners etc. I hope I'm not bothering you to much with simple problems. Thanks my friend.

Paul
No worries mate, that is what we are here for, to help each other, can you get him to take a pic of his particular Dawes and post it for me so we are comparing apples to apples. OK if this is happening going up hills it's not a spike as such that is pure load.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi geeyoutoo,

Here are the photos..

Limp mode still happening, getting maf voltage checked, also looking at ecu talk now. Also considering if we should adjust the vnt screw a little bit more, when we had it done last time limp went completely but after putting dawes in its back, dad is a little bit concerned maybe the mechanic has upset the actuator arm for the variable vanes. I'm reading into this now as I write this, are there 2 screws to adjust or just one, grub screw and or actuator arm?.

Cheers mate.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
OK so we know it's the normal MkII Dawes. Just seems strange it was OK before and not now! When adjusting the VNT do not touch the rod length only adjust the grub screw that contacts the arm. How much did you move it last time?

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK so we know it's the normal MkII Dawes. Just seems strange it was OK before and not now! When adjusting the VNT do not touch the rod length only adjust the grub screw that contacts the arm. How much did you move it last time?
We adjusted the grub screw 1 and a half turns down. Brand new turbo.
Maybe it's the maf sensor voltage, also alternator packed up just last week, any chance this could be causing maf sensor voltage to increase or sending false readings. Just a thought

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
We adjusted the grub screw 1 and a half turns down. Brand new turbo.
Maybe it's the maf sensor voltage, also alternator packed up just last week, any chance this could be causing maf sensor voltage to increase or sending false readings. Just a thought

1 1/2 turns down is a long way, that should reduce spoolup a huge amount, most times 1/3rd to 1/2 is enough, once you get past that you also start to have a small effect on outright boost where you find it won't hit max boost till quite high in the rev range, also torque will be affected.

MAF sensor works on 0-5v so that can be checked with instruments.

Not sure about the alternator, but we have had wiring damage cause some intermittent havoc in the past.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 1/2 turns down is a long way, that should reduce spoolup a huge amount, most times 1/3rd to 1/2 is enough, once you get past that you also start to have a small effect on outright boost where you find it won't hit max boost till quite high in the rev range, also torque will be affected.

MAF sensor works on 0-5v so that can be checked with instruments.

Not sure about the alternator, but we have had wiring damage cause some intermittent havoc in the past.
Well geeyoutoo, new alternator, a little adjustment on the dawes and it's working well, no limp, temps at 300-400, boost max at 16psi, sometimes goes to 18 but straight back down to 16, that's when we go up the hills etc. Getting ECU talk. Been a bit of a mission.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Well geeyoutoo, new alternator, a little adjustment on the dawes and it's working well, no limp, temps at 300-400, boost max at 16psi, sometimes goes to 18 but straight back down to 16, that's when we go up the hills etc. Getting ECU talk. Been a bit of a mission.
Good news mate, that short/sharp spike to 18psi is nothing to worry about, common, there are ways around it but in most cases it's not worth worrying about. If you do want to go higher in boost that is where the "next stage mission" starts :). The good thing is you know a lot more about the ZD30 than you did a while back, nothing like experience for education :).

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news mate, that short/sharp spike to 18psi is nothing to worry about, common, there are ways around it but in most cases it's not worth worrying about. If you do want to go higher in boost that is where the "next stage mission" starts :). The good thing is you know a lot more about the ZD30 than you did a while back, nothing like experience for education :).
Thank you buddy, dad and myself are very grateful for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts