Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

As the title says, I have just upgraded the old TD42 to a new CRD. Going to be chucking all the recommended gear (provent, dawes, EGR block, exhaust, better IC etc) on her.

Now my question is, with her being under warranty, has anyone had any issues with this stuff being on a new car and warranty? I know what the dealers say about how if it is a direct cause of an issue they wont cover it, but has anyone ACTUALLY had to deal with this?

And upgrading has been one of the best decisions I have ever done lol

Cheers

Lee

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,526 Posts
and why do those mods. egr block not nec or dawes and needle .

·
Registered
nissan patrol
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people still get boost spikes after fitting a 3" exhausts even to the CRDs. Dawes will control it. EGR to stop the carbon **** going back into the engine. Thats why

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
I fitted 3" exhaust to my new CRD, no issues. Yeah the dealer wont cover any issues with the exhaust now.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
I fitted 3" exhaust to my new CRD, no issues. Yeah the dealer wont cover any issues with the exhaust now.
Anyone I've met who has put a 3" exhaust on a crd has also had no issues. Personally, I'd just put the exhaust and boost gauge on and if there's no boost spikes (which there shouldn't be), then just don't worry about the dawes etc

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
If you block the EGR and later experience an issue with boost that requires investigation by the dealership, all of their diagnostics will be geared towards parameters of a stock engine - so the blocked EGR may hinder their investigation, and if they find the plate they may remove it, fix the problem, and charge you for their time and parts rather than doing it as a warranty claim. So be prepared to remove the EGR plate under this scenario.

Similarly, if you fit a chip, I'd suggest removing it for each dealer service, and reinstall afterwards. Why? If the dealership sees it, basically they don't care, but they may note in in the service records. Down the track, if you have a powertrain warranty claim, the presence of the chip might then be used to deny warranty.

Those are the only two aftermarket mod scenarios that I can see being a potential issue. No other mods will affect warranty (within reason).

My Steinbauer took 10-15 mins to remove or install, so not hard to pull off twice a year for services.

Reactions: tisch

·
Registered
nissan patrol
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I was going for the dawes as I thought its cheap insurance as the searches I've done on here some people are still getting the spikes with the exhaust/EGR blank. But its good to know lots aren't either.

Yeah would definitely be taking the EGR blank out if I started having any issues and had to take her in and the chip out prior to services is a great idea.

Cant get over how quiet and smooth these things are compared to the old girl

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
If you are doubtful about blocking the EGR, have a look at your oil after a few thousand. You won't believe how filthy it is on a brand new engine.

Then fit the block, change the oil, and have a look at how much cleaner it is after the same ks.

Catch can is an essential mod in my view, Provent is an easy install. Again you won't believe how much oil you drain out of it - nothing for the first little while as the filter soaks it up, but after that, out she comes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Gday mate

You are going to get allot of people saying DONT do this mod or DO this mod. Heed my advice, I have had three Patrols and helped many others. Every Patrol is different.

I personally fitted a 3" exhaust and had boost spikes up to 20+ psi and turbo surging (**** down low pick up). Dawes and needle valve fixed it for me.

Fitting the EGR blocking plate caused Check Engine Light codes. I had to drill a 5mm hole in my plate to stop this.

Fit a boost and pyro gauge straight up. Block the EGR and then add an exhaust. Then you can deal with any problems that may occur.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
If you drill a hole in the EGR plate, you have wasted your time fitting it - a block with a hole is not a block, it's a restrictor. No-one knows how big the hole in the system is when the EGR valve is open - it might only be 5mm.........

Yes you will get occasional P0401 "insufficient EGR" error code, just clear it with a scangauge.

I fitted a 2 3/4" exhaust and have zero boost spike problems, some get them with 3" exhaust, some don't. My guess those who do get problems may have a very low back pressure muffler.

However no two Patrols ever seem to be the same, so yeah, do your mods and deal with whatever you may get.

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
Here are my recommendations: ( in this order ) to get it GOING WELL and reliably

Scan gauge
EGR block
Catch can
Boost and pyro gauge
3" exhaust
IC upgrade
Intake upgrade. Filter, airbox mod, and intake pipes
ECU remap to suit your mods. With Dawes if required or wanted depending on state of tune you want.
And she's transformed into a completely new beast. It's 100x better than standard. And it's been more reliable with the remap than when inward running a chip.

·
Registered
757 Posts
enjoy the new patrol and although doing the mods are a good thing for a number of reasons don't get into the mindset that some have that they are required for the longevity of the engine. There would be more unmodified patrols out there with big kms that are doing fine all by themselves.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input, these definitely have a lot more for me to learn over the old TD42!

Got a 2 week trip through the around the Hammersley ranges in October so itll be a good test

1 - 13 of 13 Posts