Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been chasing this one for a while now, well from my trip up to Cape York last year anyway. It's a very fine vibration and noise which originally came in at about 80km/hr and then disappear if you went a little further. The vibration/noise is now more evident covering a larger range of speeds but still most noticeable around 80 km/hr. If you were to drive the vehicle you would say it was a buggard uni/tailshaft, it's that sort of vibration noise. It seems to be more evident when towing a heavy trailer, and is also noisier when you back off going down a hill. If I knock it out of gear going down the hill, the noise is still there, but not as bad. Revving the engine when out of gear and coasing does nothing at all to the noise.

In an effort to rectify the problem, I have done the following:-
- replaced the front wheel bearings
- converted the auto hubs to manual hubs (this was to elliminate any chance of the front tailshaft spinning for some reason and casusing problems)
- replaced both back unis, and then shortly after had the rear tailshaft tested straightened, balanced and one of the new unis replaced again.
- inverted the rear tailshaft, which made no noticable difference

Any ideas? Does the fact that it is worse when overrunning the engine (backing off) point to a particular area.

I only have the expensive bits to check now, gearbox, transfer case, rear diff, and would like some ideas.

Vehicle is a '98 GU 2.8 wagon.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
is it lifted at all?? lifting a vehicle changes the pinion angles on diffs, the angle on pinion has to be same as angle on gearbox, if its out it will vibrate, may need gearbox xmember spacer ot adjustable top trailing arms to correct angles for tailshaft ie both unis sit at same angle

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it lifted at all?? lifting a vehicle changes the pinion angles on diffs, the angle on pinion has to be same as angle on gearbox, if its out it will vibrate, may need gearbox xmember spacer ot adjustable top trailing arms to correct angles for tailshaft ie both unis sit at same angle
I only have a 2" lift, and it hasn't caused problems in the past. I'll definately check this out though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
nissan gq
11 Posts
I have the same problem with mine. But i get upto 95Km/hr and there it is take it upto 100Km/hr and it's gone. I've replaced every think as well in the front end. How hard is it to do the spacers and what do you have to do or would it be eaiser to take it to a mechanic.:punkrock:

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
It still could be the rear prop shaft. Might be worth putting it the correct way around and then playing with a worm drive clip in various positions to act as a balance weight. Other than that, are your tyres good and round ?

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tom,

The vibration seems to be there whether I've got my All-terrains on, or the muddies, and it didn't seem to make much difference when I inverted the tailshaft originally, but perhaps I should try putting it back to normal for another try now that it has been straightened and rebalanced.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
slip joint can be worn too,
Is it obvious enough to record it with a video camera and youtube it?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
211 Posts
How did you go with this?

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't tried the tailshaft back around the right way again yet, and have just fitted higher lift coils and the vibration has got much worse.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts