Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spindrift (5 models available)

Anyone own or used one of these bad boys?

I'm talking for rivers and estuaries, not solo circumnavigation of the globe.
Only 50-55kg, and unsinkable (depending on model). They take up to 6hp motor on 3 metre, or 3hp on 2.4 metre. Any reason you couldn't whack a 6hp on the 2.4?

Is 6hp enough? It's 2 stroke. Will it do the job against the tide (ok, except the Kimberley). How much fuel could I expect it to use?

I know nothing about boats, but we're considering something small like this to put on top of camper, depending on where we're going on a given trip.

I'd love a small ally zodiac with bigger outboard, but they're heavier and a truckload more expensive, and I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost anyway.

Not sure I'd be comfortable using it in areas with crocs, but then people have done sillier things...

Alternately, inflateable zodiac types, any good? Long to pump up? How easily would they tear on a submerged rock or log? Now they would not be tougher than a croc's teeth... So the Finn I started on may be a better option.

Any thoughts? I'm all ears, cheers guys.

·
Roads are for Toyota's
nissan patrol 4.2
1,860 Posts
I don't know anything about that one. But I do have a Finn Gizmo Kayak, and can tell you the quality is definitely there with them. A bit pricey, but most things are for a good one.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Hi Leethal

Here is another option 2013 SMARTWAVE SW 2400 available at LIFESTYLE MARINE in plastic

On the subject of inflatables I had a Achilles hypalon 3.1m inflatable with a 8hp on it for 20 years and set up time was approx 20 mins and are unbeatable as a safe boat in rough conditions

Inflatables are good if you are short on storage space but there is always the risk of a puncture regardless of how good a quality boat you buy so you need to be careful where you use them where as a tinny or plastic boat you can scrape against stuff and not have to worry

In the end I sold my inflatable and bought a light weight tinny instead to use as a tender for the sail boat as I only needed to rub against a oyster shell to cut the inflatable

Regards Don

Attachments

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much Don, that one seems to be better in specs than the one I came across, for a very similar price. I'll have to see if they're available over here so I can have a look.

Gogo I've also got a gizmo, the fishing version with rod holders and glass bottom section in middle, and I agree it's quite good.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Thanks very much Don, that one seems to be better in specs than the one I came across, for a very similar price. I'll have to see if they're available over here so I can have a look.

Gogo I've also got a gizmo, the fishing version with rod holders and glass bottom section in middle, and I agree it's quite good.
Hi Leethal

This might help

Western Australia

Regards Don

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
20,227 Posts
Spindrift looks like it would be a very wet ride, Don's one looks much better and the gunnels are much taller.

·
Registered
nissan
578 Posts
Plaka Boats | Rota Moulding

Hi Leethal have you looked at the Plaka boats link above. Made in WA they are a zodiac style made in plastic. Might be a little bigger and heavier than what you are looking for. I have a mate in Perth with the 3.6 metre if you wanted to go for a spin in one.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Hi Leethal,
another option to think about is the PortaBote. I have had two of these over the years and although they look funny, they are a surprisingly practical and stable boat.
Portabote - Australia's most portable boat

They fold up to the shape of a big surfboard but there are also some seats which need to be stored separately so they are not quite as compact as just the boat part seen in the advertising. Then also an outboard and other gear no matter what boat you have. Still a hell of a lot lighter and more compact than a small inflatable. I have also had three different inflatable’s over the years.

The first Porta Bote I had was one of the early versions in the 10 foot model which had wooden seats and a separate wooden transom. With a little 4hp Suzuki motor, it went surprisingly fast with one adult or two kids. But with the whole family and esky etc it was a bit of a slow leisurely chug. Tried an 8 hp on it for a while, it was like driving an Avon Decent race boat, up on the plane in seconds, just slides across the surface, but that was a little too heavy for it and it wanted to rear up when I was not sitting far enough forward.

I also have had a larger 14 foot version that we bought as a tender for a charter boat I was working on. Was a lot more modern with plastic seats and better finished off than the older models. 15hp on that it would easily take 4 or 5 adults back to shore. Even tried to sink it with 12 adults standing in it and we could not get it to go down till we tipped it and filled it up a bit (but still floats when full to the gunwals). We used it out at the Abrolhos Islands, Rotto and Ningaloo. The 14 foot was a bit big to easily cart around on the roof rack and a lot more effort to set up and drag in or out of the water, a two or three person job with a 15 hp on it.

The 10 footer was bloody good for two or three and easy to carry around by myself or put on the roof rack or camper trailer. I am sorry I sold it but just was not wanting to cart an outboard around in the car when I did not take the trailer. I took the little 10 foot all the way up the Murchison from Kalbarri up as far as we could to the first of the gorge. Been all the way down the Warren river to the sea. Took it over to the Murray river in SA, it was graet as a tender to a house boat.

They do look funny and feel a bit strange when they flex but are verry stable and safe, not as good as an inflatable in rough conditions but still safe around the bays at Rottor or in the lagoon at Ningaloo.
I see they have also come up with a few beter ideas for the folding transom and seats now so it is less bits to cart around. I will probably get myself another one when I retire and go gery nomad.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Spindrift looks like it would be a very wet ride, Don's one looks much better and the gunnels are much taller.
Thanks Softy...

Taller gunnels who would have thought??

Ok now not sure if gunnels swing from trees, arrive in taxis or burrow holes in the ground, but I'm guessing if they're taller they must be better ;-)

Like I said I'm not a boat person. I went on a cruise ship once and occasionally go fishing with a mate on his boat in Kalbarri...

And thanks to the other fellas too, there's obviously a lot more options than I had thought. Those portaboat models Geordie I recall seeing them at a 4wd show once, thought they were very clever.

Ideally I really like the idea of a zodiac style inflatable, and with up to 6hp I don't need a skipper's ticket over here. If you're likely to use within the next few days after setting it up you can just tie it on top of the camper anyway without deflating and packing it all up, and I can soon make a bracket for a small outboard on the camper too, or maybe on one of the swing arms at back of car. Lots of options...

Thanks again fellas I'll have a flick through those links and see what Ms Leethal reckons... No rush we're just considering it at this stage.

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
Thanks Softy...

Taller gunnels who would have thought??

Ok now not sure if gunnels swing from trees, arrive in taxis or burrow holes in the ground, but I'm guessing if they're taller they must be better ;-).
Ah yes the bits that keep the water out of the sides. I think it comes from Gun Wall, where the guns are mounted in the side walls of the sailing ship, dosn't have much sense in this day and age or to this size of boat aye me-hearty.
You had better start reading up on nautical terms so you at least know which is the Lee side.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Obviously whichever bloody side I'm sitting on !!!!!!!!!

Geez throw me a challenge mate...

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Ah yes the bits that keep the water out of the sides. I think it comes from Gun Wall, where the guns are mounted in the side walls of the sailing ship, dosn't have much sense in this day and age or to this size of boat aye me-hearty.
You had better start reading up on nautical terms so you at least know which is the Lee side.
Close, but no cigar. Original was Gunwale for top edge of the side of the boat at or above the gun deck.

Was for reinforcing boat structure to mount guns and withstand the recoil without tearing the side out of a boat.

Still is used as a definition for boat strengthening.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Obviously whichever bloody side I'm sitting on !!!!!!!!!

Geez throw me a challenge mate...
lol.

Just don't get a leak in your Garboard Strake and you'll be right.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lol.

Just don't get a leak in your Garboard Strake and you'll be right.

Sounds serious.

I suspect you can get antibiotics for that these days though.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Sick as. (I'm practicing my Kiwi for when I come over).

So what would one of those set you back in NZ?
not sure. i've only seen the early version which is not as flash as that. local here uses it to get up rivers for hunting spots.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,351 Posts
Lethal what are you using this for?

With Inflatables you need to be careful with hooks and the gaffs when you are fishing. Snags and hauling them out over coral etc may puncture them. They generally don't plane well because the floor isn't rigid but if you are traveling a couple of kms they are fast enough with 6hp. Having said that I have an inflatable because it won't damage my fiberglass boat when tied along side.

Check the weight specs as inflatables aren't necessarily light weight.

Call Finn and ask if they demo their spindrift on their demo days ( every second Sunday I think) or will have one you can test at the Mandurah boat show 2nd week in Oct. I've bought kayaks from them and they are very helpful.

Reactions: DB-101
1 - 20 of 23 Posts