Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

been looking for a short break action rifle to carry on my quad bike. To be used for wild dogs, cats, hares and deer.

just wondering if anyone has the .300 blackout AAC calibre?

any thoughts on this rifle? (they are about $600)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvhZQFvrv9k

·
Its a unimog thing, understand?
452 Posts
Yes I have one, for its (well mine) intended purpose (Subsonics) it works very well.
Its really only a 100mtr rifle with 220G subs if your after accuracy (about 2moa) but for what it is it works well.

Relatively cheap to reload. Brass is around 225.00 per 500 or you can make your own if you can be bothered, but for the price I don't. Uses 308 projectiles, although its hard to get .308 subsonic projectiles and standard ones do tend to over penetrate. Currently running 173g Le-High Controlled fracture projectiles with a 20g .17cal payload projectile which is working out to be quite a good little round.

Normally run mine with Clip on Thermal. Mine is a Rem 700 AAC with a rifle basics trigger, carbon barrel and sitting in a lightened MDT chassis.

they are a bit of a Love/Hate rifle. Some people love them..some hate them.. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice piece of kit there mate ;)

Im wanting to get one as a short rifle to keep on my quad bike for riding around my parents farm, which is about 1km long / 250m wide but backs onto a 5000 acre state forest.

Thier area has a wild dog problem and deer, cats and goats wander out of the forest all the time.

Id be shooting about 70m max I reckon so maybe use the 110grn hornady 300 whisper VMAX??.

Also wanting something with a heavy pill with not speed on it for knocking over cattle for butchering so could use the heavy stuff for that?

I have a 12ga, .410 shotty, a 22lr and soon to take delivery of a 17hmr which all have thier uses but none of them are a small all rounder to keep on the bike yet can still put a deer on its arse at 50m with min recoil in case one of the girls want to use it.

The other option I have is to use .410 3" rifled slugs but $15 for 5 jeesuz its more expensive than decent 45/70 ammo and I then have to keep 4ft of gun on the quad bike.......

·
452 Posts
Thanks Mate..Im quite happy with how it came up and even in the MDT Stock its quite light. But the credit goes to the gunsmith who did the carbon barrel and lightened/shortened and modified the MDT Chassis. Most of my rifles have pistol/tactical style stocks/chassis (not every ones cup of tea) but I find them more comfortable to shoot.

Its actually lighter than my .17HMR but I think that is due to the scope I run on it..the USO scope may be a bit of overkill but its what was sitting in the cupboard at the time so that's where it stays lol (theres a pic down the bottom of it)

The nice thing about the blackout with subsonics is that it has no recoil and relatively quiet for a hard hitting calibre at its respective range.

You may find factory ammo hard to get for it, which is the reason I reload. Even then most, if not all of the factory ammo, in the subsonic range don't use subsonic projectiles so they will over penetrate. The Hornady Subs use 208g Amax's while the Remington Sub's use 20g SMK's. In the supersonic range you will probably only fine Normady ammo using a 125G Amax. At least that's all I have found at my local gun shop.

The best pill I have found in the subsonic arena is , as I mentioned, the LeHigh..its just devastating on light/medium skinned game. (Lehigh High velocity Controlled Fractore on the Left, Subsonic with .17cal Payload proj on the right)

If you have issues getting the reloading components you want in Aus (sometimes it hard), just get a B709 and import them. I get most of mine from reloading international (reloadinginternational.com) and never had a problem bringing them in and they do all of the export paperwork for you etc.

There are some differences between Whisper and Blackout, not huge ones but it does spike 'discussion'. Its a bit like the .556 versus 223 arguments you always see. But the bottom line is that Blackout is SAAMI spec calibre while the Whisper is a Wildcat. They run different pressures and the Whisper has a slightly shorter neck. General consensus is that you can run Whisper in a Blackout, but not visa versa.

The Remington 300 ACC's are..well they are a Remington so do suffer from QC issues. Saying that they do (or at least did) have a 5R barrel. We bought two Rem Blackouts when I got mine and both have those barrels. The triggers leave a lot to be desired as on those two, one would adjust while the other wouldn't so in went the rifle basics.

They are short though with a 16.5" barrel so very handy little rifle and easy to cart around.

At 70 Meters you could probably get away with just using Subs, sight it in and off you go. Would be relatively quite and pack quite a punch.

They say , and I don't know how true this is but its on the interweb so it must be true :) , that at 300 yards the blackout with a 125g pill has as much energy as a .357 at the muzzle. It also , supposedly, carries more energy at 300y that a 30-30 does. It also produces more muzzle energy that a nato 55.6 round from a 9" barrel that the 556 does from a 16" barrel. Again..all interweb info so take that with a grain of salt.

I don't shoot supersonics with it so have not really much to say on how it performs in that instance, but I do now that in the Subsonic world, the blackout retails and delivers a surprising amount of its kinetic energy out to its usable range

A lot of the reloading data around is for Gas guns, so you would have to adjust it for Bot actions. But there is more and more info on the Bolt Gun load data turning up. I think ADI publish data for it now.

Its definitely no .308, but for 100Yards (which I believe is its practical range) then it is a great little calibre. At 50 yards I would say it will definitely take a deer down but cant say I have used it for that as I tend to hunt during the day with my .338LM (my favorite calibre).

End of the day..its horses for course, I like it. Has proven useful and in their stock form relatively cheap (used guns usually has some bargins). Factory ammo as I said can be hard to get, but reloading is cheap.

Just be careful on your reloads as with such a small case and powder charge (around 9-10g depending on what you are doing) small changes can make a big difference.

Sounds like setting it up for subsonics may be the go for what you want, less mucking around and will do the job at the ranges you are after.

I like the rifle/calibre and really shines shooting Subs. Its fun to shoot, no recoil, quiet and not overly expensive.

But then again I have a number of rifles that I think are fun to shoot that others may say are not or may say are not even practical :)

They are not the be all and end all rifle and not perfect for every situation, but then no rifle is........unless you count the .50. That's a good all round Calibre. ;)

Nice piece of kit there mate ;)

Im wanting to get one as a short rifle to keep on my quad bike for riding around my parents farm, which is about 1km long / 250m wide but backs onto a 5000 acre state forest.

Thier area has a wild dog problem and deer, cats and goats wander out of the forest all the time.

Id be shooting about 70m max I reckon so maybe use the 110grn hornady 300 whisper VMAX??.

Also wanting something with a heavy pill with not speed on it for knocking over cattle for butchering so could use the heavy stuff for that?

I have a 12ga, .410 shotty, a 22lr and soon to take delivery of a 17hmr which all have thier uses but none of them are a small all rounder to keep on the bike yet can still put a deer on its arse at 50m with min recoil in case one of the girls want to use it.

The other option I have is to use .410 3" rifled slugs but $15 for 5 jeesuz its more expensive than decent 45/70 ammo and I then have to keep 4ft of gun on the quad bike.......

Attachments

·
452 Posts
One other thing..I think its Nikon that make a Blackout specific scope..
It has a graduated reticle with subs on one side and supersonic on the other..

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks very much for taking the time to write that up - some great info there mate.

I spoke with my dealer this morning and he also reckons its a nice calibre though as you said factory ammo is scarce due to it not being that popular in aus yet as well as the yanks buying even damn round they can get thier mits on.

He is going to get back to me on a price and availability as its not a band / rife type he normally stocks.

Might be the point which convinces me to buy reloading gear ;)

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,681 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got alot of respect for the 30-30 mate, but I get a bit concerned with the girls using a lever action safety wise.

Hence Id prefer a single shot as its real hard to fck that up.

I'll ask my dealer to look into a 30-30 and 44 mag handi rifles as well.

·
17,681 Posts
Thats fair enough mate,
I just thought that the quick follow up shot's offered by a lever gun would be handy for whacking those Deer.
Also with the new Leaver evolution ammo, they shoot a lot flatter and offer great power with hardly any recoil.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That leverevo is some good stuff, I shot a few 45/70 ftx rounds a month or so ago and jesus they hit hard.

Certainly had some recoil though ;)

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
You can reduce load the 30/30 to make good shooting for the family, just don't use fast powder. It only costs 2-3" at 100y. You don't want factory ammo for the 30/30, too hot it kicks like a mule and tracks up the target. The Marlin with micro groove barrel is super accurate with Lyman peep sight fitted, and with modest reloads, little recoil. Fits on the Quad no probs with a good rack. Plus is what 45/70 says, good follow-up shooter.
Cheers

Reactions: 45/70

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,169 Posts
I'll ask my dealer to look into a 30-30 and 44 mag handi rifles as well.
The 44mag levergun (or 357) would be my choice but I'm a bit biassed. As a teenager I had a 357mag lever action saddle rifle with 14" barrel that replaced the old 22 Stirling which was my first rifle. It was a compact easy to carry rifle that went everywhere with us. The main hunting target in my area were pigs and the 357mag did a fine job on them out to 100m or so. I briefly put a scope on it but it was soon removed because the gun wasn't accurate much past 150m and the small size and slim profile were its best atributes. A few years later I got a similar 30-30 that was about 6" longer and quite a bit heavier. Despite the extra size and weight it still only had 6 rounds in the tube, same as the smaller 357. The 30-30 probably had a bit more range but not enough to justify the disadvantages and within 12 months it was sold and I was back to the 357mag for a camping rifle and a 308 for proper hunting and a 22 Hornet for plinking and cats.

A levergun in 357m would still be up to the task of dropping cattle or deer but would be a bit kinder on young shooters than a 44mag. A 41mag might be an option if you had doubts about the power of the 357 but the ammo is much less common than either 357 or 44mag. I still feel any of them would be a fine rifle in a barrel length short enough to be convenient on a quad.

The biggest disadvantage I see with that 300 Whisper (apart from being single shot) is ammo. Uncommon stuff is always more expensive and I'd be reluctant to buy another set of dies for the reloader unless I knew they were going to get a decent amount of work.

Cheers,

·
17,681 Posts
That leverevo is some good stuff, I shot a few 45/70 ftx rounds a month or so ago and jesus they hit hard.

Certainly had some recoil though ;)
I would love to give you a shot of my 45/70 with some of my hand loads, Boy do they kick.;)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
spoke with my dealer again today and am proceeding towards a 44mag handi rifle.

heard what you guys are saying re lever actions, I have an 1895SBL on laybuy for that reason but this rifle is not for that and I dont want any of the girls around a lever action.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,169 Posts
There are a number of lever rifles that have a dropped lever loop to get your hand away from the trigger while cycling the action. I don't like the look of them but they are quite effective at stopping trigger stab or accidental firing while reloading. Have a look at the Ranchero riffles on the Rossi website to see what I mean. I understand your concerns though. I didn't have a lever action until I was 15 and before then just had the use of a bolt 22 with the occasional use of the 270 under close supervision. I think dad's only concern with the 270 was that I might not give due consideration to just how far down range the projectile might travel. It seemed an absolute canon when I was 12 and I didn't want more that one or two shots with it at a time.

I think your decision on a lightweight 44 is a good one.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
spoke with my dealer again today and am proceeding towards a 44mag handi rifle.

heard what you guys are saying re lever actions, I have an 1895SBL on laybuy for that reason but this rifle is not for that and I dont want any of the girls around a lever action.
Sorry Benno but if the girls aren't safe enough or learn to be safe and respect what they're shooting including a lever gun then they shouldn't be near any.
How old are the girls?
Train them properly so if the opportunity arises they have the knowledge, or is this just a male thing?
Not meaning to offend mate just the way I see it

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry Benno but if the girls aren't safe enough or learn to be safe and respect what they're shooting including a lever gun then they shouldn't be near any.
How old are the girls?
Train them properly so if the opportunity arises they have the knowledge, or is this just a male thing?
Not meaning to offend mate just the way I see it
Well we shall agree to disagree then.

The girls are a forgetful 57 and a wont listen 23.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts