Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you could get a brand spankers .35 whelen rifle and 100 rounds for less than $600 would you?

I dont like a .308 as I think it lacks hitting power and well its as common as dog crap.

Effectively what I am after is something that hits like a .45/70 but goes a bit quicker.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I would

load up with lighter projies and they're a good hitter

130gn fmj .308 is a great Pig load
I was more thinking a 200 grain barnes TSX at 2800fps :cool:

I dont like it when the fckers run after taking one in the chest - I want them hitting the dirt hard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use a 9.3x62, you can load from 232grain to 320grain and very little moves after they have been hit. I had it made as an ultra light for hunting in the hills, I am lending to a mate next year to take to NT as he wants a Buff. When it's loaded with either a 293grain or 320grain Woodliegh it is not far behind the 375HH but it holds 5 shots in the mag.You mentioned the good ole 45/70 I had one in a lever action and then had a custom bolt action made, nothing ever got up after being hit by a 405grain flat nose doing 2500fps! Good luck choosing way to many good calibres out there.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
338 federal is close and is in a short action.
for close range 444 marlin or 450 marlin.

tons of custom rounds around, all depends on if you want off the shelf ammo or not.
one thing i hate with even slightly less popular ammo is hard to find anyone selling the your favorite brand of ammo in that cal. every shop has 50 different 308 rounds to choose from.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
338 federal is close and is in a short action.
for close range 444 marlin or 450 marlin.

tons of custom rounds around, all depends on if you want off the shelf ammo or not.
one thing i hate with even slightly less popular ammo is hard to find anyone selling the your favorite brand of ammo in that cal. every shop has 50 different 308 rounds to choose from.

I dont think this calibre is too bad, I can get 50 unprimed brass for $60 and as it takes a .358 projectile these are pretty common and like $60 for 100.

Its like $55 for a box of 20 remmington corelokts in either 200 or 250grn so if I put away 100 rounds it will be pretty sweet.

I think if I shoot more than 50 rounds out of it in a trip my shoulder will be sore and there will be alot of fcked up piggies!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I dont think this calibre is too bad, I can get 50 unprimed brass for $60 and as it takes a .358 projectile these are pretty common and like $60 for 100.

Its like $55 for a box of 20 remmington corelokts in either 200 or 250grn so if I put away 100 rounds it will be pretty sweet.

I think if I shoot more than 50 rounds out of it in a trip my shoulder will be sore and there will be alot of fcked up piggies!
you obviously have reloading gear and not shooting enough for price to be an issue.
it sounds good. just buy/build a rifle and dial some rounds in.
corelokts will certainly do the job nicely.

what sort of ranges are you looking at using it at?
also what barrel length? short bush gun or something a bit longer?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
i forgot about .358 Winchester, the 08 version of the whelen. a little less powerful but may be better in shorter barrels and still flat enough for general hunting ranges.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you obviously have reloading gear and not shooting enough for price to be an issue.
it sounds good. just buy/build a rifle and dial some rounds in.
corelokts will certainly do the job nicely.

what sort of ranges are you looking at using it at?
also what barrel length? short bush gun or something a bit longer?
ranges of approx 150 to 250 yards, less than that I would use a 45/70.

barrel length of 22" in an break action rifle of 38" overall length, short length but long barrel is why I like the break actions as you avoid the 8 or so inches of bolt group added length.

·
Registered
526 Posts
A mate of mine built up a .35 Whelen and loved it. Was accurate and hit hard considering the amount of powder behind it.

I was going to go the same route but a .338 Winchester won out.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,070 Posts
bennoGU28. Check out the time of your last post. Freudian Slip? You know you want one. :p :p :p

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bennoGU28. Check out the time of your last post. Freudian Slip? You know you want one. :p :p :p
ahahaha thats funny as :cool:

Yes one of them is on the cards as well :)

still pissed that my grandpa had to hand in four Mk4 no2 .303s during the Betrayal of '96.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A mate of mine built up a .35 Whelen and loved it. Was accurate and hit hard considering the amount of powder behind it.

I was going to go the same route but a .338 Winchester won out.
Thanks mate, I had a look at the .338 win. Seems very similar in performance to the .35 but goddamn the ammo is dear!

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,070 Posts
ahahaha thats funny as :cool:

Yes one of them is on the cards as well :)

still pissed that my grandpa had to hand in four Mk4 no2 .303s during the Betrayal of '96.
I had to surrender my Grandpa's as well. Don't shoot any more.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well decided today was it and put down the cash :)

Now just gotta wait for the PTA!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,734 Posts
A short barrel with big calibre, with big RECOIL, had a 9.3 in a tikka and again big RECOIL, settled with the 300wsm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts