Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Gu Patrol 3ltr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What experience have people had from going from a stock gu to a 4inch. This is my first car and was looking at doing a 4 inch lift on 33s then a little later going to try and get more flex if I need it. Will it be a lot harder for me to drive or should I be alright?
Also if anyone has recommendations on brands would be great aswell.

·
Registered
83 Posts
First car? a Partol? good choice you will have a ball. 4wding is like your first serious relationship you need fool around a bit before you know what you like. You would be surprised how far a stock standard 4wd can go driven in the right way, join up with some other 4wders and learn from them there is safety in number.

As for lifts it depends on what type of 4wding you want to do, truing/camping sand etc most people would have stock or 2inch. If you want to get into rock ledgers and technical stuff thats when people would go big.

I assume that if this is your first car you are on your P's. Depending on what state you are in I would be very careful running 4inchs and 33's on your P's as that would make you a cop magnet.

But to answer your original question, you can set up a 4inch lift to drive better than the stock suspension if you are willing to invest in it. You get what you pay for, a cheap 4inch lift will have you all over the road and ending up with "Other" issues down the track. A good setup, well rated springs, adjustable shocks, drop boxes, adjustable panhard rods, etc, etc, etc. can leave you patrol performing well.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,837 Posts
To add to what @Dotoz said, a 4-inch lift would have to be engineered to be legal in any state in AUS, so factor that in to your cost.

A 2-inch lift with 33's won't need engineering and would probably suit 99% of your off-road needs.

·
Registered
2004 Gu Patrol 3ltr
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys.
@Dotoz at the moment planning to do a bit of everything with camping and just weekend trips. Another question is if I got a 2 or 3 inch lift with 33s would I be able to still get a fair bit of flex?

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
2" lift with 33" tyres is not only the max legal limit (before engineering), it's also much cheaper, simpler and will retain better on-road manners than the big lifts.

Keeping it to 2" means you can afford better components rather than crappier components that just happen to be bigger.

They have a fair bit of flex compared to your mates dual cabs anyway, by virtue of being live axles. If flex is your primary goal, consider superior superflex or hyperflex radius arms.

Get a decent set of shocks and springs (2") and then decide what to spend your money on. A front locker is a great investment for offroad ability. Probably better than an extra inch or two in clearance.

One thing to consider, if you have a big accident and your patrol goes to an assessor, they will be actively searching for illegal modifications, then you've got no insurance.

It's a consideration for me because I don't want to be financial ruined a lot more than I want an extra 25mm of clearance...

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,238 Posts
What experience have people had from going from a stock gu to a 4inch. This is my first car and was looking at doing a 4 inch lift on 33s then a little later going to try and get more flex if I need it. Will it be a lot harder for me to drive or should I be alright?
Also if anyone has recommendations on brands would be great aswell.
My recommendation would be don't do it, to many traps, especially if you are new to the game as you seem to be saying.

You would be surprised how far a std vehicle with a good driver will get into the scrub.
We have a member who does this as a business his username is Zordo, his first name is John, have known him for many years and buy my suspension gear from him and my vehicle is no slouch, he is a supporter of our events, he will give you good advise and good prices, see vendor section.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts