Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i went to rainbow this weekend and did a bit of beach driving. it all went well. i decided to spray some lanotec around the underbody of the car in the morning before i headed off in the arvo to rainbow beach.
Now that im home ive given the underbody a good gerni and hose down for probly around an hour. but im noticing now that its dry that there is sand still on the chassis..

did i do something wrong when applying the lanotec or is it normal for the sand to stick?
its not huge clumps its just a few grains here and there. and should i continue getting that sand off or will the lanotec protect it?

any help/tips or tricks would be appreciated

thanks

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,678 Posts
Sand loves to stick to Lanotec. Hit it with a hose again. The Lanotec will still be protecting the car but get the sand off anyway.

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Yeah Ive done that a few times I call it the "Lamington" effect.
Try applying the lanotech a few days before you go on the beach.
I go for a drive down a dusty road to get a good coating of dust on it. stops the sand sticking..
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
1,260 Posts
That sand is a bastard to get off I went to the under body wash at Rainbow Beach and spent at least 3 hours under my F250 with the gerni when I got home from Fraser and a month later I could still find sand every where. Good luck!

·
Registered
nissan
253 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Lanotec needs time to dry, a couple of days at least.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its kinda annoying having to wash it again.. at least ill know next time. so how long does the general lanotec last? couple months?

·
Registered
nissan
328 Posts
chuck a sprinkler under your car man.... and then hose out the chassis were u can.. sprinkler does most the hard work.

·
Registered
Nissan GUII 3L Patrol
388 Posts
I re lanolin mine about every 3-4 months
( my chassis rails are shiny and black and the car is 10 years old ....this stuff really protects )

not to mention the shearing shed smell.

but as someone else mentioned you need to let it dry for a few days before hitting the sand or dirt

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you have a degreaser attachment on your gerni use a citrus degreaser (or mix it up in a spray bottle, then gerni it).

I think Lanotec sell there own brand of the citrus degreaser.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i decided to try the ct18 cleaner by chemtec. Its a heavy duty truck wash. i sprayed heaps under the car and waited 15min or so.. and completely hosed the underbody again.. this stuff was awesom it removed all the sand plus lanotec. ill be cleanin the engine bay with it tomoro. and then ill re coat the lanotec.
what do you guys do about rust proofing when theres surface rust already there? should i wire brush it then spray the lanotec over the top?

·
Registered
nissan
239 Posts
I just go over the top of surface rust and let the lanolin soak in.

Make sure you dont leave it to long to reapply the lanolin as you now have cleaned everything off so more chance of surface rust. I know what truck wash can do to trucks and motorbike frames, so personally im not a big fan.

·
Registered
nissan
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just go over the top of surface rust and let the lanolin soak in.

Make sure you dont leave it to long to reapply the lanolin as you now have cleaned everything off so more chance of surface rust. I know what truck wash can do to trucks and motorbike frames, so personally im not a big fan.
ive never used it before i got it off another forum heeps of people recommended it which is why i tried it. on the bottlle it says it inhibits rust. but im assuming thats because the surface is clean... it was good because it removed alot of the dirt in the chassis rail. i ended up washing the car with it too but i dont think ill do that again the surface feels like all the wax has been stripped. ill probably lanotec tomoro im gonna get a couple of litres :D.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
chuck a sprinkler under your car man.... and then hose out the chassis were u can.. sprinkler does most the hard work.
That is what I do, pass the hose and sprinkler under the vehicle front to back and turn it on let it stand then pull it through a bit and keep repeating, just make sure each time you pull it through you overlap with the previously sprayed area, flushes the sand from those hidden places, this has worked well for me for many years on a number of 4by's.

For the last 5 or 6 years I have also used lanolin spray on body joins under the vehicle as well, puts a nice skin on it.

Interestingly, just replaced a split air con unit at my house which had rusted out badly (live near the ocean) and the Installation Tech said to spray the new outside unit with Lanotec, let it dry, and that will stop it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts