Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Ladies and Gents

I am currently looking into buy my first patrol wagon. Ideally I would like a factory GU TD42T. But I am opened minded to the ZD30 and petrol variants. My budget is $25 000 for the car and accessories.

It will be used as a daily driver, mild weekend 4wding and camping. I wont be towing anything greater than a box trailer but even that will be rare.

Accessories and mods I'd like to have straight up

2 inch lift with 33's
Roof rack
Bull bar with winch

Basically what I want to know is.

ZD30 DI variants 2003 onwards and 3L CRD's how much better on fuel are they compared to the 4.2L diesel's and the 4.5L petrol's as it will be my daily driver.

How is the reliability on the Post 2003 ZD30 with the anti hand grenade kit fitted. Is there any other common issues that I need to know about. ( I have already read the ZD30 bible )

4.2 Turbo diesels, Are they really worth the extra coin for the reliability and power ?

Petrol variants what sort of fuel consumption are people getting around town and how reliable are they ?

Lastly I am open minded about getting a auto as well in a ZD30. How do they perform off road. How hard is it to lock the torque converters up for direct drive for steep hills and do people have any issues with the auto over heating while on beach runs and in the bush.

Thank you in advance for any advice. I will be actively looking to buy one in the new year once the D40 Navara is gone.

Cheers Scott

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Well theres going to be people on here who know a lot more about Patrols than I do but I can share my experience after owning one for a little over a year. As far as 4wd capability for the diesel auto, I can tell you that even in stock form they are incredibly capable, and more capable than most other stock 4wds you will buy. The auto in the sand is unstoppable, that is where they shine, but anything else Ive done in it it still does things easily where others struggle. I havent heard of any problems of autos overheating from personal experience or other guys with autos I have camped and 4wd with. I havent had much to do the 4.2s so I cant comment much on fuel consumption comlarisons between the 4.2 and 3.0. My crd is great on the highway and uses about 11lts/100klms cruising at 100 with racks, a lift and bullbar. Around town, heaps of stop start stuff dropping kids to school etc it jumps up to about 15 lts/100klms. I believe the di's were more economical but havent owned one so going on heresay. From my understanding the problems associated with the "grenades" were well and truly fixed by the time the crds came out and they are as reliable as any other crd getting around.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ralph that's what I was thinking about the autos. The misses would be more likely to drive it as well. They also seem to be cheaper than the manuals

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Scott,

I have a stock 199 td42 that cost me the $25 000 that you are looking to spend, my parents have a 2011 ZD30 CRD. Bang for buck you will get a much newer model for $25k with the ZD30 and those options that you want. Finding an auto in a td42 will be a challenge as well and will cost a significant amount more because they are a rare find.

Unless you get lucky like I did and find a gem of a td42, I would personally be looking at as late a model ZD30 as you can find with the least amount of kms

Matt

Reactions: Squalo and Bekah

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Hi Scott,

I have a stock 199 td42 that cost me the $25 000 that you are looking to spend, my parents have a 2011 ZD30 CRD. Bang for buck you will get a much newer model for $25k with the ZD30 and those options that you want. Finding an auto in a td42 will be a challenge as well and will cost a significant amount more because they are a rare find.

Unless you get lucky like I did and find a gem of a td42, I would personally be looking at as late a model ZD30 as you can find with the least amount of kms

Matt
That's what I did. I just wanted the lowest klms possible on the car when I got it. With most cars if you are religious about your maintenance and servicing etc they will serve you well, so the closest to new you can get the car the less chance someone before you has done the wrong thing by the car. You will get heaps more bang for buck getting the latest model zd30 you can for that money rather than purchasing an 8-10 year old car.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I wasn't really after an 4.2L auto as I haven't seen one for sale yet and I been keeping an eye out for awhile and I am pasted trying to modify and convert manuals to autos stage. The scale I am looking at is was to get 4.2L manual which is my preference. Than a later model zd30 like 2006ish or later in the manual or auto. Than last resort if I got into a situation where I really needed a car id look at pre 2003 zd30s. With the Maintenance side of things I am lucky as long as there not complete rooted id still look at them because I am a mechanic by trade and can fix them alot cheaper. I just haven't had a huge exposure to 4wds and especially patrols. I have always been a Nissan man since I got into my imports about 7 years ago and I worked for Toyota for a couple of years where I pretty much just serviced cruisers and that's it.

I guess I am just struggling abit if which way is the best way for me to go. I am getting over spending every weekend maintaining my cars. If I buy an older and cheaper patrol that allows more money to be spent on making more comfortable and capable in the bush but it also comes with the added risk of higher Maintenance costs and break downs are more likely as well. In saying that the navara I bought brand new has needed to go back in to Nissan for 13 warranty claims in just over 2years so even new cars are not all that reliable these days.

·
Registered
nissan
1,516 Posts
Thanks guys. I wasn't really after an 4.2L auto as I haven't seen one for sale yet and I been keeping an eye out for awhile and I am pasted trying to modify and convert manuals to autos stage. The scale I am looking at is was to get 4.2L manual which is my preference. Than a later model zd30 like 2006ish or later in the manual or auto. Than last resort if I got into a situation where I really needed a car id look at pre 2003 zd30s. With the Maintenance side of things I am lucky as long as there not complete rooted id still look at them because I am a mechanic by trade and can fix them alot cheaper. I just haven't had a huge exposure to 4wds and especially patrols. I have always been a Nissan man since I got into my imports about 7 years ago and I worked for Toyota for a couple of years where I pretty much just serviced cruisers and that's it.

I guess I am just struggling abit if which way is the best way for me to go. I am getting over spending every weekend maintaining my cars. If I buy an older and cheaper patrol that allows more money to be spent on making more comfortable and capable in the bush but it also comes with the added risk of higher Maintenance costs and break downs are more likely as well. In saying that the navara I bought brand new has needed to go back in to Nissan for 13 warranty claims in just over 2years so even new cars are not all that reliable these days.
yeah thats Navaras though. My mate got rid of his after constant problems and recalls and Ive seen more Navaras broken down in my years on Moreton Island than any other type of car.

·
Registered
nissan
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it is disappointing but you get that. Hopefully i will be rewarded with my loyalty to Nissan with a reliable patrol. Thanks for your input guys.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
2 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a Patrol soon, either a GQ or a GU 4.2L TD!
I was just wondering how many K's I can expect from one tank?
Will only be used for fishing and not much hard-core 4WD just to get to certain fishing spots on the beach.
Cheers for any info!

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Hi Scottie

A well maintained older Patrol won't cost a lot to keep going - that goes for all models and motors. They are overall a pretty stout vehicle.

That said, if you want something that just needs basic maintenance, stretch the budget to a CRD GU (2007+). And make sure it's an auto - the ZD30 (whether DI or CRD) loves to rev and works best when you give it its head, and the auto box really makes life a lot easier as well as allowing the vehicle to get the best out of the motor. And I cannot recall a single ZD30 auto failure during my time here on the forum, indeed Purplebus went for a CRD auto to put behind his injected 454ci V8 because it has a reputation as being the toughest Patrol auto (and it's still going strong).

Don't rush, I regularly see 2008-10 CRDs with heaps of fruit going for under $30k - just sit tight till the right one comes along. Money well spent. You won't regret it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts