Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests I'm looking into buying a welder probably second hand and not sure what I should get. The only experience I've had is welding steel with a mig only once before so I'm a dead set beginner.
With that in mind I'd think that a mig would be a better option because it's cheaper to run and easier to use but I'd like to be able to weld Aluminium with it and I would prefer not to buy a mig and then having to sell it and buy a tig when I'm a bit better.

Are TIGs too hard to learn on or should it be alright?

any advice would be great thanks

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
MIG.

Nothing against TIG but you'll be up and running actually making stuff much quicker with a MIG.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
508 Posts
Mig all the way for a home handy man type of thing. I'd say unless you plan on doing ALOT of aluminium or stainless a tig will be not hassle than it's worth. Don't forget you can get aluminium wire for your mig and depending what your doing you can get feed guns to suit the ally wire too.

Shane

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
You'll need a ac/dc tig to do aluminium and a good one is far from cheap. You can weld aluminum quite well with a mig when you master it.

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys it seems a mig is definitely the way to go, any advice on brands ect. are cheapo ebay ones just too crap to consider?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,230 Posts
I'd start with an arc, then get a tig. Just my opinion

·
Registered
nissan/patrol
3,663 Posts
I would normally agree with everyone on this but I want a TIG now. If your a tightarse like me then having to buy a MIG then a TIG kinda pisses you off. Wish I just bought a TIG in the beginning and learnt with that. The options with tig are better.

I think if I bought a TIG the mig would never really come out again.

Everyone has to learn somewhere so why not just start with a tig?

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,230 Posts
I agree, I wish I never bought a MIG. Actually. I think I might even sell it.

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that's what I was thinking if I could just put up with a tig to learn in it may be better in the long run, although what two up said about needing an ac/dc tig to do aluminum and them costing a heap is pushing me towards mig

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,230 Posts
A reasonable single phase AC/DC is the same cost as some MIGs

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
Just make sure there's a decent warranty behind it, and the store has been around for a while.

MIG is by far the easiest. Can be pricey though if you go down the gas route and don't use it much (Or be like me, sell the MIG which was a fiddly bastard, and just never get around to returning the bottle), though gassed welds are much more pleasant than the gasless.

Stick is the next one up for difficulty, great all rounder, having a light little inverter is great.

I've only done a small bit of TIG, but I absolutely loved it, the first two are the broad head paintbrushes for doing the house, TIG feels like the artist's fine tipped brush for passion and delicacy. Hell, any stick welder you get can be turned instantly into a TIG welder with a TIG torch and a gas bottle.

If you've got the money, do a short welding course, they should cover all three of those as well as oxy work. And really think about what you're hoping to make. A set of sliders? A water tank? Fix up stuff around the shed/yard? Dipping your toe into a potential change of career?

·
Registered
nissan
424 Posts
Depends what you are going to try and make, I have all 3 and the Mig is the one most used, you wouldn't want a Tig to make rock sliders and you wouldn't want to Mig a Stainless snorkel.

Any thing that is Jasic is really good in the lower range, I'd also check out Boc they have a good range for all levels.

What ever you get you are going to need to practice to get good.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
If you are predominately doing steel then go a MIG.

The only negative with TIG is the learning curve.
But if you have the time and patience then go for it.

There is no "right" answer here ultimately.

Gotta go with what works best for you.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,475 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Before you buy a welder go and do a course, talk to the instructor and lay out what you want from the welder. The welder you have linked is no good for aluminum.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,230 Posts
I've been checking out the boc's the reviews on them all seem pretty good, I think I might go for this one MagMate 150 DC TIG Welder | BOC Australia
You need AC for Aluminium. This is the one BOC offers
BOC Smootharc 185 AC/DC TIG Welder | BOC Australia

This is the MIG I've got, its good, but I need a TIG for panel steel, stainless steel and aluminium. Any steel tubes or box I weld can easily, effectively and cheaply be done with an arc welder. For my situation, MIG is a luxury welder over Arc. Thinking of selling this
http://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au-bo...boc-smootharc-advance-mig-275c-compact-welder

·
Registered
nissan
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've now learnt that welding aluminium is a very expensive pathway to take, I guess it's better to start cheap get some experience and then invest a bit more cash into it. Found a pretty new looking CIG arc welder on gumtree for 80 bucks with a brand new auto dimming mask. Seems like a good cheap starting point considering the mask is probably worth 80 bucks anyway

1 - 20 of 24 Posts