Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, ive got a 4 footer and had a lot of cichlids in my colony. Anyway long story short i had a ph spike (due to pure laziness) and a lot of them died.

So im about to restock my tank, only this time with clown loaches.. and lots of them.

Currently in my tank i have a couple of silver sharks about 15 to 17 cm long. Free to good home.

I live at surfers paradise.

Cheers. Bob

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
My tank is tropical 6 ft fully planted. I've got 5 clown loaches aswell as heaps other fish, but clown loaches are best.I run full dupla co2 system for the plants but this also keeps ph under control.
But really ur ph shouldn't really change to much. What happened.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i over fed, and didn't do water change for a month. ph went thru the roof

ye thats my aim, 50 or so loaches in 1 tank, looks crazy wicked, they are so funny to watch.

ye the planted aquariums is what im reading up on now, itll be my next step

·
Registered
Nissan GQ ute 1990
128 Posts
i have cichlids i have my ph at about 8
how many did you have in your 4foot
for all my fresh water fish i add natural sea salt 1 teaspoon for every 20 ltr (buy it from coles)

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tank is tropical 6 ft fully planted. I've got 5 clown loaches aswell as heaps other fish, but clown loaches are best.I run full dupla co2 system for the plants but this also keeps ph under control.
Whats the dupla worth?

And what substrate you using?

I really want to get into aquascaping but it looks like a lot of work

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The salt trick above is a great tip
Saves cleaning the tank so often
As for fishies,cant help there
Last fish i had was a 4 foot barra in a 7 foot tank
Expensive diet too,20 goldfish a week
RIP barra,tank here doin SFA

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Dupla co2 is not cheap! I tried everything before and found it was too hard or just didn't work.
Really water should be changed 20% every 2 weeks,but iam lazy aswell. Vie actually found 3 weeks to a month and 35% change is ok for me.

I use under gravel heater dupla again,to promote root growth as the substrate is only really at room temp.I actually used gravel and just add dupla clay balls every 3 months.use dupla 24 which is a daily fertilizer with marco neutients and dupla tablets at every water change to add micro nutrients.

The dupla co2 is fully automatic and doses to. Keep ph at ur desired level.but lots of things can throw this off,like general hardness and carbonate hardness.but I just test these and don't really change them.to much adding of things is not good.

I use a powerhead to push water through the dupla co2 reactor where the water and co2 mixes and is returned. I gel electrode regulates the ph which is affected by co2 which is the building block of growth(carbon). And swithes a solenoid to control flow. Get two co2 bottles as when u run out ur ph will sore.ive had my ph as high as 7.9 when went away.lost some fish and a few plants.

As for cost. Sit down mate, but be on the look out for second hand.
Dupla reactor $200
Dupla gas bottle 1.5kg $ 300
Dupla bubble counter $50
Dupla control $ 800
Solenoid $ 200
Dupla armature (regulator)$ 300

And ull need some simple stuff Power head,co2 hose

But u can use other gear thats cheaper, but u do want it to reliable... And this is still not top of the range.lol.

Hope this helps. It really isn't a lot of work. Maybe an half hr a week all up and a water change every three weeks takes half hr. I'll take pic of mine.but mines not awesome,aim lazy...

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
heres a pic of my tank. when u get it all sweet, ull see the plants pearling.tiny bubbles coming of the leaves. every water change i throw out a bag of cut plants.they go nuts.i have four t8 flouros that are steeped to turn on and off to replicate true daylight. tubes are tropical and growth ones. blue and white leds light it up at night to replicate moonlight.the hood has 4 pc fans to keep it cool. 2 x1500ltr ehiem canister filters. i made the whole tank from scratch. cabinet and the tank. diddnt take too long. way cheaper. any qiestions just ask, but favourite fish are clown loaches, elephant nose and ghostfish.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Got three Koi about 20cm long each in a 500 litre pond in the loungeroom. I've taught them to hand feed, friends kids love feeding them when they visit.
The cats drink out of it. I'm waiting for the day they mistake a cat tongue for a finger. POW! cat isnt going to know what's hit it.

Big 'koff bio filter. I only change about 50 litres of water a month. filter gets a rough rinse once a year. Too easy and koi are supposed to be filthy fish.

Nice tank Green patrol. no way could I keep something like that alive.

·
Registered
Nissan
185 Posts
Would love a tank but SWMBO says no - yet we put up with a cat wiping it's filth all over this house and killing wildlife. I'd kill for a tank like Green Troll's.

·
Registered
NIssan
882 Posts
I have tanks also, 2 freshwater (a 6 foot and an oversized 2 foot) that have cichlids, clown loaches and a solitary silver shark (the 2 footer has juvenile cichlids) I also have 1 marine tank which is 4 foot and holds around 600L (+sump)

Of the 3 tanks the marine is my favourite :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
1,045 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys.

Ive been looking at marine for awhile now.but dont wanna get rid of my setup,so ive been looking at the red sea max tanks.impressive.
But a hefty price tag.but I love how its so neat and integrated.
Then theres the live rock...
Maybe at tax time...
Anyone got a redsea tank?

·
Registered
NIssan
882 Posts
red sea make good tanks for the beginners or those who don't want to keep demanding organisms (if you do the lights generally need upgrading for starters)

have a look at the forums at Reefing the Australian Way if you are interested in going marine, lots of good info and helpful folks (and a number of red sea max owners also) The main thing with marine is that it IS more costly than fresh water, a fresh water tank you can get away with throwing some water in a glass box, adding a filter of some description and tossing in some fish (that is not ideal, but can be done) Marines to do properly you need salt, wavemakers, decent lighting if you keep corals, skimmer, sump, chiller if you live in warmer areas..... and that's not even going into the various reactors and additives you can use.... With all the added costs though marine is more rewarding as the fish are more colorful and the corals are a lot more interesting and colorful than plants.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts