Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
2081 - 2100 of 2135 Posts

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,766 Posts
Went up the mountains fishing today, thought it would be good conditions (20kph N-W winds, cloudy and bit of rain). Only landed one but had a good run up there. Rained heavy on the way home, so that was good, as washed all the mud off patrol (mostly). Fish baked in basmati rice for tea tonight. Must start cooking.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
20,339 Posts
On the water early, mill pond, pulled up at the bait ground, NE sprung up, tide ripping. Got some livies and lost 4 jigs, all bitten off. Too windy to go out so we stuck close in. Finally hooked up, decent sized shark with a $30 lure in its mouth from someone else, just getting it onboard and it bit through the 90lb leader. Mate got three nice grunter and I scored a small reef shark. Then he hooked up and landed a huge catty, must have been a metre long. A good day was had. Will go after the grunter again. No pictures, I didn’t take my phone.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
20,410 Posts
Like Grumpies cookies..
Didnt happen. :)

Reactions: Foo

·
Registered
nissan
1,273 Posts
Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Nature

Hi Guys , could anyone give me advise on buying a beginners cast net, want it to throw off a small boat, ive never used one before, but i guess would be targeting Prawns, nets seem to range in price up to hundreds, want to start at the lower end of the scale in case i can't throw it, or just don't use it, but understand sometimes too cheap, can often not work so could be a complete waste of money.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,088 ·
View attachment 541750

Hi Guys , could anyone give me advise on buying a beginners cast net, want it to throw off a small boat, ive never used one before, but i guess would be targeting Prawns, nets seem to range in price up to hundreds, want to start at the lower end of the scale in case i can't throw it, or just don't use it, but understand sometimes too cheap, can often not work so could be a complete waste of money.

Just pick up a cheap one, don't get one too large as there is a fine art to throwing a net and getting maximum spread, the bigger the net the harder it is, there are several ways to throw a net, I would suggest you have a look at them on youtube (I'm sure there will be some there) and if you have a swimming pool you can do a lot of practise, I see many people casting nets but not a lot get maximum benefit of spread. You also need to consider depth where you are casting.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,090 ·
Cast nets are illegal for use in WA from what i was told a while back, are they legal in other parts of OZ?
Legal up here and I think still legal in NSW, not sure about anywhere else, that is up to the user to confirm I suppose. there are restrictions though but I see them being used in the Maroochy River every day.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,692 Posts
Took the boat out today for the first time since last year. Our fly club had a day on the Bellinger & Kalang rivers. We've got a challenge going. with increasing levels of difficulty, starting with a bream, flathead & mullet over a year, working up to 3 offshore sportfish in one day. I was going for bream, flathead & mullet in one day. Got flathead & bream, but couldn't get the mullet. Normally mullet are the easy ones, but not today.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Took the boat out today for the first time since last year. Our fly club had a day on the Bellinger & Kalang rivers. We've got a challenge going. with increasing levels of difficulty, starting with a bream, flathead & mullet over a year, working up to 3 offshore sportfish in one day. I was going for bream, flathead & mullet in one day. Got flathead & bream, but couldn't get the mullet. Normally mullet are the easy ones, but not today.
Tell more:
Fishing from boat_maybe loch style and with drogue?
So how you fishing_fly patterns and line?

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,692 Posts
Fish from the boat & off the shore. From the boat we either just drift with the tide or use the electric to move along. I use a 3wt for the mullet & bream and 6wt for the flathead. We use bread to get the mullet feeding & then cast a bread pattern fly at them, the bream also take the bread flies. We use Clousers & bated breaths for the flatties, wading the flats or drifting along in the boat, casting back onto the flats.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Floating lines on the flats and maybe sinking tip and or intermediate sinking drifting or floating lines always. Have not covered tidal waters from a boat fly fishing..

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,692 Posts
Only using floating lines today, as we were only fishing in shallow water & the Clousers & bated breaths have bead chain eyes, so sink down far enough. I do use a slow sink or sink tip in deeper water. If you're ever up this way you'll have to drop in & I'll take you out for a fish. The Bellinger & Kalang system has the normal bread & butter estuary species as well as bass, smaller GTs, silver trevally & mangrove jack.

Reactions: Bidja
2081 - 2100 of 2135 Posts